Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2012 WWE Hall of fame

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

agree with Yokozuna being inducted 100%

Horsemen and Edge are the headline inductees so I don't really expect any other big names to be announced for this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Didn't the rock say he wanted to induct yoko in the hall of fame I could be wrong

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

sky88 wrote: »
    Didn't the rock say he wanted to induct yoko in the hall of fame I could be wrong

He did.

Yoko was VERY well liked and respected. If he was handcuffed by adhere to kayfabe and his gimmick I say Undertaker would do it in a heart beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Cactus Colm

I think he's related to the Rock as well....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

It would've made FAR more sense to have Edge get inducted the next time they're in Canada for Mania. Not in the Rock's home town. Maybe Faarooq (who played for Florida State) would've been a more appropriate choice. Although WWE needs a "big" name for the HoF for ratings. My guess is that whoever they had lined up declined; Warrior or Honky maybe.

Macho Man would be a great posthumous inductee. Great time to do it as well. I wonder who'd induct him, maybe his wife, I'd choose Hogan but he can't (well, shouldn't) while he's in TNA :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

No way, he's Japanese and Rock is Samoan :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

13165801.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

CMpunked wrote: »
    13165801.jpg

Don't remember Fry saying that, i'm with Cactus Colm I think they are related.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

They were cousins. Yoko was of Samoan heritage and part of the famous Anoa'i wrestling family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Cousins I think.

• Advertisement

GTR63 wrote: »
    Don't remember Fry saying that, i'm with Cactus Colm I think they are related.

If he did that would be some coincidence! It was just the face i was pulling when i read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,535 ✭✭✭✭briany

I respect Yokozuna (R.I.P) but I don't particularly agree with his induction. His size hampered his in ring ability and his speed making his matches, particularly with the likes of the Undertaker, less than stellar. I never really bought into him as a monster heel and I always thought that his run was due to the transitory phase the WWF found themselves in at the time. That's just my take, though.

If Yokozuna can get in, then what about the likes of Bob Backlund and Sid Justice?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Sirsok

briany wrote: »
    I respect Yokozuna (R.I.P) but I don't particularly agree with his induction. His size hampered his in ring ability and his speed making his matches, particularly with the likes of the Undertaker, less than stellar. I never really bought into him as a monster heel and I always thought that his run was due to the transitory phase the WWF found themselves in at the time. That's just my take, though.

If Yokozuna can get in, then what about the likes of Bob Backlund and Sid Justice?
    Yoko was in his prime a pretty fast guy, I was shocked by how quick he could move, in his latter years he was slow yes but for years I thought he should of been inductedà can't headline two manias and not get in! .....well maybe a exception for sid....howevev I wouldn't say anything is wrong with a possible sid induction....he was class around mania 8

Backlund should all ready be in....

The penny hasnt dropped that the Hall of Fame isnt based on who deserves to go in or based on merit yet? People from Koko B. Ware to Vince's Limo driver are in. It is a marketing exercise to sell tickets for the event, some merchandise and to market archive footage of inductees.

Going kayfabe Yokozuna was one of the longest reigning heel champs ever.

Sirsok wrote: »
    Backlund should all ready be in....

He's been asked

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Ric Flair told fans during an autograph appearance Thursday at a Walmart in Burlington, North Carolina that he will be “on stage” for WWE’s Hall of Fame induction ceremony WrestleMania weekend (March 31, 2012). Flair, who is under contract to TNA Wrestling, was advertised by WWE this week as one of the Four Horsemen to be inducted at the ceremony.

http://www.prowrestlingscoops.com/wwe/wwe-news/ric-flair-says-hell-be-at-wwes-hall-of-fame/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I say Flair will make his way back to being a full time WWE employee again. With the new network getting ready to launch there will plenty of non wrestling roles for him to get his teeth stuck into. I'd love to see him in this Legends House thing, Fill him up with booze and let him off, it could make for classic viewing.:D

I say Flair will make his way back to being a full time WWE employee again. With the new network getting ready to launch there will plenty of non wrestling roles for him to get his teeth stuck into. I'd love to see him in this Legends House thing, Fill him up with booze and let him off, it could make for classic viewing.:D

The part in bold is the most important bit. He shouldnt be inside a wwe ring again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,535 ✭✭✭✭briany

rovert wrote: »
    The penny hasnt dropped that the Hall of Fame isnt based on who deserves to go in or based on merit yet? People from Koko B. Ware to Vince's Limo driver are in. It is a marketing exercise to sell tickets for the event, some merchandise and to market archive footage of inductees.

It's not that I don't realize the WWE HoF isn't exactly the most credible in how they choose their inductees but to bloat the thing unnecessarily will not do it any favors either. Kayfabe/Politics aside, a glut of unworthy or premature inductees degrades the prestige of a place in the HoF which certainly won't help the marketability of it's inductees or the event itself.

That said, if they do continue to go that way, a good idea for the WWE HoF might be to include a fan wing, where ordinary super fans, people who have achieved a certain amount of notoriety throughout the years for whatever reason showing up at live events, could go like Straw Hat Man/ Faith No More Guy from ECW (I don't know if they'd accept, though). Now these people wouldn't be inducted at the event or anything but they could publicize it anyway and make a bit of a deal out of it as to how they include and reach out to the fans

It's not that I don't realize the WWE HoF isn't exactly the most credible in how they choose their inductees but to bloat the thing unnecessarily will not do it any favors either. Kayfabe/Politics aside, a glut of unworthy or premature inductees degrades the prestige of a place in the HoF which certainly won't help the marketability of it's inductees or the event itself.

This isnt one of those how long have you been fan posts but I dont think you are giving Yokozuna enough credit he was WWF's guy on the heel side for period of time that meant a lot to people who stuck on post the Hulkamania boom and pre the Attitude Era. He was in no way as big as a star as Bret but he still kept the ship above water simply he isnt an out and out chump or unworthy. I maybe putting words in your mouth with that last sentence.

Him and the Undertaker did relatively roaring live event/house show business often out drawing the other live event/house show headlined by Bret Hart & the World title. He was a big deal for the time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

People giving out about Yoko getting a spot is a hue surprise to me! Wrestling isn't about workrate alone, and he was still a great big man and an even better heel! As a kid I always always in awe of Yoko and he really set a standard for what a monster heel is supposed to be.

As Rovert said, his stuff with 'Taker was great and was before 'Taker had even hit his peak.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

That said, if they do continue to go that way, a good idea for the WWE HoF might be to include a fan wing, where ordinary super fans, people who have achieved a certain amount of notoriety throughout the years for whatever reason showing up at live events, could go like Straw Hat Man/ Faith No More Guy from ECW (I don't know if they'd accept, though). Now these people wouldn't be inducted at the event or anything but they could publicize it anyway and make a bit of a deal out of it as to how they include and reach out to the fans
    Sign guy would be perfect for that!
    l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Wrestling isn't about workrate alone.

I agree with this. There seems to be a consensus on the internet among smarks that pro wrestling should be purely about how many moves someone can do in the ring. I have more respect for wrestlers based on what moves they can be on the receiving end of rather than which moves they can do. Then there is entertainment value, look and most importantly of all the psychology of their in-ring matches (tension, etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I remember watching Yoko as a kid and being absolutly terrified of him :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I remember watching Yoko as a kid and being absolutly terrified of him :o

not as terrified as the guy who did his laundry

not as terrified as the guy who does his laundry

hhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa_1300833207.jpg

Will you STOP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ciano316

Yoko is a deserving inductee. He had a longer career than people think, he started in AWA and then went to the WWF. He's a former WWF Champion and for a big guy he was excellent.

He's the rocks cousin so it be good to see him induct him. In the long run The Rock could do a lot of inducting, that family is quite large.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

ciano316 wrote: »
    Yoko is a deserving inductee. He had a longer career than people think, he started in AWA and then went to the WWF. He's a former WWF Champion and for a big guy he was excellent.

He's the rocks cousin so it be good to see him induct him. In the long run The Rock could do a lot of inducting, that family is quite large.

From Yokozuna's Wikipedia:

Anoa'i (referring to Yokozuna) was a member of the famous Anoa'i family: The Rock, Rikishi, Samu, Rosey, Manu and Umaga were among his cousins, and Afa and Sika were his uncles.

They give the Harts a run for their money anyway.

On second thoughts that could be an idea for a PPV: Family Wars!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Agreed, Yokozuna is most definitely a deserving inductee. Long overdue though, I would have liked to have seen him inducted the same year as Mr Fuji.

And all this talk about Yokozuna has got me anxious to dig out the 93 Rumble this weekend, haven't watched this in donkeys years.

Ah the theme to send shivers down my back when I was a kid -

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I remember thinking Yokozuna and E.Honda from street fighter were the same person when I was a kid. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

I could see a scene like Full Metal Jacket in the barracks where Private Pile gets bashed with the soap in socks by his bunkmates.

Advertisement