Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on Ian Dunbar's training methods

• 02-09-2009 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hi,

In preparation for a new puppy I came across a recommendation for Dr. Ian Dunbar's training methods and books.

I'd like your valued opinions on his methods or maybe even alternative trainers/methods please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 pikku

hi,
    myself and hubby are raising our little 6 month old Jack Russell using Ian Dunbars method from the day we brought her home, and we find them very good. it is all about positive reinforcement, with no hard punishments or scolding (apart from scolding of the human when WE allow HER to make mistakes). it is a very humane and indeed effective. Also, the dog loves to learn - you can just see her get happier with each little training session.

So -highly recommended!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭boardbrowser

he is a vet and a veterinary behaviourist and a founder of the APDT and Sirius puppy training programme. Can't go wrong here. His emphasis is on creating behaviourally healthy dogs.
    books inclde 'before and after you get your puppy', 'how to teach an old dog new tricks' as well as many other books and DVD's. check out american site www.dogwise.com for a full list of his titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

If you haven't come across it before, have a look at:

http://www.dogstardaily.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭MoonDancer256

I read one of his books when I bought my puppy. I didn't agree 100% with some of his stuff, but the majority of it was very good, and quite helpful. Definitely worth reading :)

Advertisement