Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Acer Travelmate 2423wxmi not charging

Options
  • 12-11-2008 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hi all,

My sister got the above laptop about 2 years ago, about a year ago the laptop would stop charging and would only work if you had the power cable going a specific direction, now it has stopped charging completly. I rang acer repairs and they reckon its a motherboard problem, quoting 300 sterling for repair. Obviously it doesnt make sense to pay that much for the repair and I could buy a new laptop for less that. Has anyone else had this problem and rectified it cheaper?

Alternatively, I was wondering on how viable it would be to order a motherboard and replace it. I've built computers before but I imagine this would be a far more tricky operation. However if it was financially viable I would definitly be up for giving it a shot.

Cheers!

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Sounds like a solder has gone in the power input jack, happens quite alot. If you've got the knowhow it's probably a diy job. 300 is a bit ridiculous for it tbh, dont pay!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭odonnellcarey

Most common cause is as Alanstrainor suggests (loose DC input jack).

Here's a link to DIY repair instructions. Anyone reasonably handy with a soldering iron should have no trouble.
    http://www.laptopsockets.co.uk/dc-sockets/dc-jack-fitting-guide.htm
    The site also supplies most types of replacement jacks if the original one is beyond repair.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The 300 quid is probably to replace the motherboard which would be a more permanent fix than soldering it back on so there is a reason why it's so expensive. Still crazy money to pay unless it's a fairly highend laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭eamonntheviking

Cheers lads, I'm gonna try and solder it back together so. I have it taken apart and I'll take off the old one and see can I get that working, if not I'll order a new one and hope that that works. Better than paying 300 quid anyway!

Advertisement