Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Blood donors - someone's stealing your identity!!!!! o.O

Options
  • 21-02-2008 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0220/blood.html
    Data Protection inspector to visit IBTS
    Wednesday, 20 February 2008 20:26

A Data Protection Commission inspector is to visit the Irish Blood Transfusion Service after a laptop containing confidential details on 170,000 donors was stolen in New York.

The IBTS says over 100 donors telephoned its helpline today with concerns about the loss of information.

The helpline is to remain open for the rest of the week.
    Advertisement

Earlier, Taoiseach Bertie Ahern told the Dáil that the IBTS had entered into an agreement with its New York counterpart in order to improve its services and security systems.

He said part of this agreement was sending a CD to New York.

However, a member of the New York blood service was mugged on the street and the laptop and disc were stolen.

The stolen disc had the personal details, including name, address and contact numbers, for 171,374 people.

Labour Party leader Eamon Gilmore said it was all incredibly sloppy and ironic that the IBTS set out to improve its security and ended up losing important information.

The Data Protection Commissioner was informed on 11 February and all involved people will be informed on 22 February.

The commissioner is investigating issues relating to the theft and the encryption of the data involved.

It will also look at the contracts between the Irish Blood Transfusion Service and the New York Blood Centre.

The Irish Blood Transfusion Service says it is deeply concerned at the theft, but emphasised that the data was securely encrypted.

An information helpline for blood donors has been set up and is now open to callers.

The number is 1850 731 137.

I rang up the number and...... MY INFO WAS ON THE CD!!! :eek:

So that's it, my life's over, my identity will be stolen.

I just hope my boards password wasn't on that disk.......... :(

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Better take my name off the electoral register and out of the phone book too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭randombar

For f*ck sake the phone line is only open from nine to five!

What's worst case scenario with this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

GaryCocs wrote: »

Someone gets the laptop, manages to get at the appropriate information, and then has access to your name, DOB, address, last time you donated...... think there was something else, cant remember what though (she told me on the phone).

Then they do whatever they do with that information..... I'm sure it's possible to cause a bit of a mess for you/steal your identity.

In reality I'd say the bloke who robbed the laptop was just interested in selling it and getting cash. Whoever buys it probably just wants a laptop. They may not even be aware of what information is on it (is this story reported in the US?), and if they are, they might not be interested in using it. That's if they could even get at it! Because it's supposedly encrypted/some other nerdy thing, and quite difficult to decrypt/whatever. The lay person certainly couldn't access it; would they know somebody with sufficient computer knowledge as to be able to get at it? And if they did know that person, would such a person (presumably university educated) do such a thing on a stolen laptop, to steal people's identities? Doubt it.

It seems doubtful that the person who stole the laptop did so to steal identities; and the person buying it off them is likely to want a laptop for their own use, so they won't care what's on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Meirleach

Mr.S wrote: »
    how could they steal your identity, its just a name, address and number. pritty much the same as the phonebook..
    So glad I'm ex directory.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Clones. The Americans will replace all those Irish people with pro American clones. Dave is probably already one of them, they must all be killed on site where ever they're found.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Unless of course it was the Taliban. Who knew the guy had the information on the laptop. Followed him. Made it look like a normal mugging. And is now using your information to raise funds to take over the world...

Just a thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

That some yank identity thief is currently trying to find out what state galway is in?

Reports suggest that he did have an exceptionally long beard....... I think you may be onto something sueme

• Registered Users Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Oh noes! Dey stoel mah blud!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

That some yank identity thief is currently trying to find out what state galway is in?
    It's in Saratoga County, New York state, just north of Schenectady (try saying THAT with a few pints in!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

Oh noes! Dey stoel mah blud!

That comment is missing an amusing cat picture. Otherwise excellent though! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Someone gets the laptop, manages to get at the appropriate information, and then has access to your name, DOB, address, last time you donated...... think there was something else, cant remember what though (she told me on the phone).

Then they do whatever they do with that information..... I'm sure it's possible to cause a bit of a mess for you/steal your identity.

In reality I'd say the bloke who robbed the laptop was just interested in selling it and getting cash. Whoever buys it probably just wants a laptop. They may not even be aware of what information is on it (is this story reported in the US?), and if they are, they might not be interested in using it. That's if they could even get at it! Because it's supposedly encrypted/some other nerdy thing, and quite difficult to decrypt/whatever. The lay person certainly couldn't access it; would they know somebody with sufficient computer knowledge as to be able to get at it? And if they did know that person, would such a person (presumably university educated) do such a thing on a stolen laptop, to steal people's identities? Doubt it.

It seems doubtful that the person who stole the laptop did so to steal identities; and the person buying it off them is likely to want a laptop for their own use, so they won't care what's on it.
    You should try to get some work for The Sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭Archeron

I heard the disk has been sold to an international gang of criminal vampires. Now that they know the addresses of all the people with O negative, they can finally begin to choose their victims by the tastiest blood type. Because they have the info on disk, they can input it into their Satnav systems, and simply say they want to find the nearest potential victim with a blood group of their choosing.

Mmmm, rhesus negative.....

Deck the halls with cloves of garlic, tra la la la la, la la la la la.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Thing is they IBTS is saying its just Names, Addresses etc. but you know when you donate first you have to fill out a big questionaire with medical history, drug use, sexual history and so on ? Surely that information is stored in the database too ?

That said i'm sure that whoever robbed the laptop has it sold on now either way ... Nothing to worry about

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I don't understand why it was necessary for someone in New York to have all teh Irish people's details?

And why would all that info be stored on a laptop which is frequently out in the public domain?

Surely a 10gig usb device could have stored relevant info and would be less stealable than a laptop?

Davemcg, expect Christmas cards asking if you'd like a penis extension. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

So that's it, my life's over, my identity will be stolen.

Pffft, I stole your identity weeks ago and have been busy modding the NDC forum ever since. Strangely, no one's noticed the difference.

connundrum wrote: »
    I don't understand why it was necessary for someone in New York to have all teh Irish people's details?

And why would all that info be stored on a laptop which is frequently out in the public domain?

Surely a 10gig usb device could have stored relevant info and would be less stealable than a laptop?

Apparantly it was over in America because they were getting some people over there to improve the security on it. No the irony is not lost on me.

And I'm already signed up for those penis extension things, so no biggy (*snigger*)
    Earthhorse wrote: »
    Pffft, I stole your identity weeks ago and have been busy modding the NDC forum ever since. Strangely, no one's noticed the difference.

boooooooo......... I'm banning you now!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

connundrum wrote: »

I think the data was on a disc, which happened to be in the laptop at the time it was stolen.

And of course the disc is supposed to be encrypted, but if somebody put the disc in their laptop they were obviously expecting to be able to read it, so the laptop must already have the decryption software and key.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

boooooooo......... I'm banning you now!

Or am I banning myself?

The first rule of Non Drinkers Club is you must not talk about Non Drinkers Club.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

who uses discs anymore anyway? get with it IBTS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

They could empty your account.

The next time you go to withdraw some blood you'll find your account is in the red.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

They can steal all my monies! They go the atm, type in my name, when I last gave blood, and bingo! €50's come flying out of the machine. And I die because they also sold my blood and bone marrow to some Russian mobsters.

I heard it was Bertie.

He was looking for a more legitimate way to raise some cash..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

It's okay dude, i bought your identity!!!! :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

In Poland you get tax credits when you donate blood, about €40 per litre.

171,000 x €40 = !

Seriously the only people with the expertise and resources to be able to crack the encryption would have to be hundreds of years old, which rules out everyone except the vampires.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Blood Transfusion Service is a rip-off.They get your blood for nothing and sell it to hospitals for 100 quid a pint.They've got premises worth millions and a board of directors on huge salaries.Its a little like the "donate your unwanted clothes for orphans" appeals.You give the stuff away,somebody profits from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭tampopo

i donated today, anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

Degsy wrote: »
    Blood Transfusion Service is a rip-off.They get your blood for nothing and sell it to hospitals for 100 quid a pint.They've got premises worth millions and a board of directors on huge salaries.

The premesis (im assuming you're talking about the NBC on the grounds of St James Hospital?) is a state of the art building that has all of the necessary analysers for making high quality products. If it wasnt worth millions, i dont think id be very confident about working in a blood transfusion lab!

ya, a unit (not a pint) costs quite a bit of money, but do you realise how much work goes into one unit? include the donation clinic docs, nurses, supplies etc, the transport to the NBC, the refridgeration and storage areas that are constantly temperature monitored, the on call staff and regular day time scientists, virology labs analysers etc etc etc...i could go on. It costs a fortune! Hope you never need a bag of platelets if you think one unit of red cells is expensive! :eek:

As far as i know, the info was highly encripted (sp) and theres little to be worried about.

Jeapy wrote: »
    The premesis (im assuming you're talking about the NBC on the grounds of St James Hospital?) is a state of the art building that has all of the necessary analysers for making high quality products. If it wasnt worth millions, i dont think id be very confident about working in a blood transfusion lab!

ya, a unit (not a pint) costs quite a bit of money, but do you realise how much work goes into one unit? include the donation clinic docs, nurses, supplies etc, the transport to the NBC, the refridgeration and storage areas that are constantly temperature monitored, the on call staff and regular day time scientists, virology labs analysers etc etc etc...i could go on. It costs a fortune! Hope you never need a bag of platelets if you think one unit of red cells is expensive! :eek:

As far as i know, the info was highly encripted (sp) and theres little to be worried about.

Have you been mugged recently?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

sueme wrote: »
    Have you been mugged recently?

I dont know what you mean by that tbh. i donate myself so my name could be on the disc and im not worried.

Advertisement