Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Post Pictures Of Your Catch. (Mod note in OP 14/05/2015)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

Flysfisher wrote: »
    Are you sure they are not spent?

Yup positive I checked everything before they were returned and took a quick pic , the bigger fish was a nice size the smaller one wasn't in great proportion but I have seen a few since that were similar

As far as I'm aware they were the first grilse off the blackwater

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭slaneylad

305013.jpg

13 pound Salmon caught on the Slaney last night, My first fish landed on the Slaney, also my first fish on the fly and also my first fish caught on a fly that I tied. Not the freshest fish but he gave me some fight. The fish was quickly released after the photo

Would that fish be an early run springer now or a fish that ran the river last year ??

Nice fish to get on the fly

I'm pretty sure it would have been an early run springer. No Idea how long he was in the river. If anyone else has an ideas I'd like to know. All I know is that he fought very hard, I was playing him for 15 minutes, he took 3 massive runs and came out of the water each time.:D

slaneylad wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it would have been an early run springer. No Idea how long he was in the river. If anyone else has an ideas I'd like to know. All I know is that he fought very hard, I was playing him for 15 minutes, he took 3 massive runs and came out of the water each time.:D

Ya I'm really only getting into understanding the salmon life cycle of me interested to see how long he was in the river to colour up , he seems to be just starting the process really as his kype is not that big and the spots are still black they go reddish so on that basis I would say an early run fish but I'd be interested to hear what the salmon gods on here have to say

I only took up the fly this year still no good but I only give it an hour or so each time I'm out and fall back spinning but can't wait to get my first on fly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Budawanny

305013.jpg

13 pound Salmon caught on the Slaney last night, My first fish landed on the Slaney, also my first fish on the fly and also my first fish caught on a fly that I tied. Not the freshest fish but he gave me some fight. The fish was quickly released after the photo
    Its a fine early springer. Nicely conditioned besides the color. A beauty. Well done.
    Id guess a February fish.

Caught this evening 9.5 lb , got photobombed by a cow also ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

Nice to see these lads back again. Caught 2 small ones and one around 4-5lb's yesterday. FE38D8BA-90E7-4252-8582-0F62A5731077_zpszge0bnps.png

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

what fly did he take slaneylad?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭mattcullen

Well done Slaneylad, great achievement and great start to the fishing year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭hiddenmongoose

Bought a new feeder rod as I broke my 15 year old dam quickstick carp feeder on a large bream .So I decided to christen the new browning on a few tench.I Was fishing a quiet little spot on lough Ree and baited up for 2 days with flake maize,brown crumb maggot and corn.Fished it on the third morning for a little over 6 hours,Caught 5 tench lost 3. Got a few roach to 1 lb and a few bream to 2 lb.The swim was a weedy little spot fished tight against some lillys in about 4 foot of water.I fished using ledger and quiver and also using a clear waggler using the lift method.The fight was great from the tench as I had to play them hard to keep them out of the reeds and weeds .All in all a good first outing for the new rod.
    1z6sdg5.jpg
    30m1wko.jpg
    2vsqhrb.jpg
    2agra89.jpg

breghall wrote: »
    what fly did he take slaneylad?

He took a size 7 kinermony killer, it was the day after a small rise in the river and there was still a bit of colour in the water

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

He took a size 7 kinermony killer, it was the day after a small rise in the river and there was still a bit of colour in the water

nice catch Slaneylad, the folks on the SRT site would be interested in your catch too, so if you wanted to let them know, as they like to keep track/count of catches on the river.

http://www.slaneyrivertrust.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

popsy09 wrote: »
    Caught this evening 9.5 lb , got photobombed by a cow also ha

Lovely fresh fish! Where abouts you catch him?

Eddie B wrote: »
    Lovely fresh fish! Where abouts you catch him?

Upper blackwater near banteer about 90kms from the tidal stretch

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

305013.jpg

I've yet to land one. Pretty fcukin jealous right now :)
    Gorgeous fish. I prefer them looking like that instea of silver. They look like a big brown trout there :)
    Well done on that fish mate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭niallon

Long time lurker, first time poster!

Not even posting these for any bragging rights, obviously given the size, more so just delighted that after five years ignoring the canal due to complete and utter deflation at the activities going on in recent years, I've started catching fish on it again.

Sallins stretch of the grand canal

306515.jpg
    306516.jpg
    306517.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭jack01986

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Fish of a lifetime today, 6lbs+ from Corrib, taken on a wet mayfly pattern. 62cm long, good deep well-fed fish. Brilliant fight, still on cloud nine... (fish is still swimming) :)

306654.jpg

yaEzX22.jpg

It's been a good week!

Full album below, pike on the Shannon at Banagher, rest in the canal in Naas

http://imgur.com/a/DIS7l

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,708 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Is that a Rudd or a big Roach in the pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Bream hybrid?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,708 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Bream hybrid?

I dont know, crossed my mind but I've caught a few and from memory, were slightly different.

Is that a Rudd or a big Roach in the pics?

Third pic is a Roach to my knowledge (silver as opposed to golden colouration) and the rest are all Bream (bar the two Pike obviously!)

Bream in the last pic is a little odd looking as she was absolutely loaded with spawn!

Got some nice fish yesterday on some upstream nymphs got the two in the video on a hare ear.

jack01986 wrote: »
    Got some nice fish yesterday on some upstream nymphs got the two in the video on a hare ear.

GoPro (I'm assuming) on the net is a great idea, brilliant footage!

niallon wrote: »
    GoPro (I'm assuming) on the net is a great idea, brilliant footage!

Yes it was a GoPro. I was trying to find some cool angles to film from easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

2q8d05k.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭GrandSoftDay

Paddy_R wrote: »
    2q8d05k.jpg

What species is that? I don't do much freshwater fishing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

What species is that? I don't do much freshwater fishing.

The mighty stickleback!

You can see the bulge at the bottom of him indicating how far the worm was down. There must have been a point when he thought 'I've probably taken on a bit much here'.

Advertisement