Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

list of exchanges with less than 24Mbs available

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Where is the Dromoland exchange?

Looking at the fibre connected exchanges on an Eircom map I recall that both Newmarket and Sixmilbridge have fibre backhauls, but I don't recall any Dromoland exchange.

Got any further details?

Not specifics - I assumed at the time that he was talking about a cabinet somewhere near the motorway interchange at the Clare Inn (now Inn at Dromoland) perhaps in terms of making a fibre connection between Shannon/Newmarket and Clarecastle/Ennis.

I did recently find a map indicating that Quin was on a list for eFibre expansion in late 2015 , but I can't find it now , think it was somewhere on the Eircom site.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Not specifics - I assumed at the time that he was talking about a cabinet somewhere near the motorway interchange at the Clare Inn (now Inn at Dromoland) perhaps in terms of making a fibre connection between Shannon/Newmarket and Clarecastle/Ennis.

I did recently find a map indicating that Quin was on a list for eFibre expansion in late 2015 , but I can't find it now , think it was somewhere on the Eircom site.

Ah! Yes that makes sense ..... not an 'exchange' in the traditional sense but a cab for joining fibre cables maybe. I guess I would call it a fibre node or something else equally vague :)

Yes the Newmarket exchange is connected to fibre which is probably in that area too ..... only going by the way it is drawn on the Eircom map.
    So maybe what was in mind was an extra connection from that same point in the main cable, going to Quin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mrmcq2u

Sixmilebridge exchange is ADSL1, Vodafone claim it is "enhanced".
    When I demanded a straight answer they confirmed the exchange was ADSL1.

Was a little annoyed as when I asked the first representative he said that it was an enhanced exchange and that it only makes sense that they upgraded to enhanced prior to considering an upgrade to vdsl.

This implied that enhanced meant ADSL2 as he said that in response to my question of whether the exchange was ADSL2 or not, on further investigation of my parents SNR and line attenuation I came to the conclusion that people were being sneaky about answering questions.

Exchange will be upgraded by Eircom to vdsl2 hopefully this month if its not postponed again, slightly annoyed at the time wasted troubleshooting the connection at my parents house.

I have worked in tech support for a company which leased Eircoms infrastructure for fixed line broadband.
    I find it to be a shame that they are allowed to charge people in rural locations full price for connections which are not in any way attainable nor will be in any way attainable in the near future.

Often times you hear the argument that rural areas aren't densely populated enough to make a return on investment and that metropolitan areas would be subsidizing the rollout of infrastructure but the reality is that its rural customers who have been subsidizing the development of infrastructure in urban areas.

They are paying the same price and line rental for infrastructure which hasn't been upgraded in 30 years(telephone poles) and 15 years (dslam equipment), wheres the money going. We have the highest prices in Europe for this. It's a joke.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

mrmcq2u wrote: »
    Sixmilebridge exchange is ADSL1, Vodafone claim it is "enhanced".
    When I demanded a straight answer they confirmed the exchange was ADSL1.

They are paying the same price and line rental for infrastructure which hasn't been upgraded in 30 years(telephone poles) and 15 years (dslam equipment), wheres the money going. We have the highest prices in Europe for this. It's a joke.

Absolutely - Many threads here on this exact topic..

Rural users paying significantly more per MB than anyone else , so to my mind the cost per user is probably balanced out to a large extent.

For anyone on an "Up to 24Mb/s" exchange or worse you are paying the same amount regardless of speed/stability of connection.

For example, I'm paying for a 3Mb line (maximum speed EVER achieved is 2.58Mb/s (at 2am) , typically getting way less than 1Mb/s during normal hours) yet my father pays the same and gets 22/23Mb speed fairly consistently.

Not asking for or expecting FTTH or anything like that , but I think that a consistent, reliable 20Mb/s to 25Mb/s speed is a more than reasonable expectation for everyone at this point in time...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Absolutely - Many threads here on this exact topic..

Rural users paying significantly more per MB than anyone else , so to my mind the cost per user is probably balanced out to a large extent.

For anyone on an "Up to 24Mb/s" exchange or worse you are paying the same amount regardless of speed/stability of connection.

For example, I'm paying for a 3Mb line (maximum speed EVER achieved is 2.58Mb/s (at 2am) , typically getting way less than 1Mb/s during normal hours) yet my father pays the same and gets 22/23Mb speed fairly consistently.

Not asking for or expecting FTTH or anything like that , but I think that a consistent, reliable 20Mb/s to 25Mb/s speed is a more than reasonable expectation for everyone at this point in time...

What distance are you from the exchange? If it gets upgraded you'll get the max your line can take, but if you're 5km away that will be 3mb.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    What distance are you from the exchange? If it gets upgraded you'll get the max your line can take, but if you're 5km away that will be 3mb.

According to my line stats , at present my line would be able to support ~8Mb/s with no other changes , but due to the exchange being ADSL1 and only have 8Mb/s of backhaul I get much much worse than that...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I wasn't aware that KN did telephone installs for Eircom until the other day, when I saw two or three KN vans not far from Quin installing telephone wiring for a house ..... guys were dipping into small manholes at the side of the road.

I wasn't aware that KN did telephone installs for Eircom until the other day, when I saw two or three KN vans not far from Quin installing telephone wiring for a house ..... guys were dipping into small manholes at the side of the road.

They do in a few places, but its mostly just fibre installs.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭sparky63

KN are doing all the installations both new lines and fibre upgrades in nearly all areas of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭gipi

Here in the "bustling metropolis" of Drogheda, getting less than 1Mb speeds on ADSL. My number isn't fibre-enabled according to eircom's site.

Was onto vodafone customer service recently, the guy there told me I'm 10km from the exchange so am lucky to get anything at all and he suggested that I should never have been offered bb in the first place!! I'm not convinced about the distance (knowing where the main exchanges are in the town).

• Advertisement

gipi wrote: »
    Here in the "bustling metropolis" of Drogheda, getting less than 1Mb speeds on ADSL. My number isn't fibre-enabled according to eircom's site.

Was onto vodafone customer service recently, the guy there told me I'm 10km from the exchange so am lucky to get anything at all and he suggested that I should never have been offered bb in the first place!! I'm not convinced about the distance (knowing where the main exchanges are in the town).

You wouldn't get diallup with a lop that long, nvm dsl. You're 4-5.5km most likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The technologies actually don't need bustling metropolitan areas, they need density and about 100+ homes.

The issue in Ireland is usually scattered developments in hinterlands of towns and cities where for all intents and purposes people are in rural areas. Those tend to be the areas that are unserviceable at reasonable cost.

Small villages should actually have good broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Quinntan

Some do! The Bohola exchange that I'm on is apparently an ADSL2 exchange, with neighbouring Swinford and Foxford still on ADSL1 according to IrelandOffline.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭tomselleck101

Pelletstown (Dublin 15) is about 13Mbs / 14Mbs. Paying for "Up to" 24Mbs.

Pelletstown (Dublin 15) is about 13Mbs / 14Mbs. Paying for "Up to" 24Mbs.

Thats your line, not the exchange itself. If you lived next door to the exchange you'd get the 24.

Thats your line, not the exchange itself. If you lived next door to the exchange you'd get the 24.

Oh right, is there any way to find out the actual speed of the exchange?

Or can you derive it given that only 24Mbs is available to the area?

There are three "systems" per say.

ADSL1 On legacy backhaul, Up to 7, up to 3 or up to 1Mbps.
    ADSL2+ NGN, Up to 24Mbps
    VDSL2, Up to 100Mb. This is "eFibre" and when it comes to your area you'll get as much as your line can take depending on how close you are to the local cabinet NOT the exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭DRose1

Donore, Drogheda, Co. Meath.

The max people get around here is 3mb and a lot don't get near that. It seems we are halfway between the Drogheda and Duleek exchanges; as such, it seems the likelihood of increased speeds and god forbid fibre speeds, are nowhere on the horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

DRose1 wrote: »
    Donore, Drogheda, Co. Meath.

The max people get around here is 3mb and a lot don't get near that. It seems we are halfway between the Drogheda and Duleek exchanges; as such, it seems the likelihood of increased speeds and god forbid fibre speeds, are nowhere on the horizon.

There's a fibre cabinet been built in Donore but who knows how long it will take to get that up and running since here in Duleek they keep trying to delay it. I have a friend in Donore and he gets 1Mb/s on Eircom.

I'm getting 15Mb/s in Duleek on Vodafone some of my family have 20Mb/s here .

I get about 50Mb/s here on 4G over Vodafones 4G network that was recently activated in the area. I think there isn't even a 3G signal in Donore?!! As far as I have seen from been out there or driving through there.

• Advertisement

http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/ Check here it shows Donore is having a cabinet built right now.

jay93 wrote: »
    http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/ Check here it shows Donore is having a cabinet built right now.

Interesting info...

Does anyone know what (if any) are the implications of the location of the "Core Fibre Network" shown on this map?

According to the link above , my exchange is listed as "planned" but no dates yet , however the Core network, based on this map anyway, appears to run past my house , less than 100 yards away...

Is that a good thing for me when the exchange is activated or not?

I'm about 3km from the exchange so in the absence of a cabinet somewhere nearer I might not get a great speed when it's finally enabled..Or does my apparent proximity to the core network infrastructure mean that I'll be in good shape?

Thats trunk fibre, you wont be tapped off it, zero benefit to yourself.

When they link it up youll get up to 8Mb at 3KM on ADSL2+ if you arent already. VDSL wont work.

Thats trunk fibre, you wont be tapped off it, zero benefit to yourself.

When they link it up youll get up to 8Mb at 3KM on ADSL2+ if you arent already. VDSL wont work.

Thanks - I suspected as much...

Exchange is currently ADSL1 , so barely getting 0.8Mbs on average and usually a lot less..

In terms of exchanges/cabinets - Is there a rule of thumb regarding how many cabinets they install in the foot-print of an exchange for VDSL?

My exchange is a rural one , currently in the centre of a small village , I'd estimate that about 50% of the lines currently connected to it would be 2km+ from the current location. so if they want to get to most users they'll have to install cabinets.. I assume.

That's a shame im around 300m max from the closest VDSL cabinet they have installed in Duleek they have around 4 installed already with another 2 still to be built so I hope I can expect good speeds.

Thanks - I suspected as much...

Exchange is currently ADSL1 , so barely getting 0.8Mbs on average and usually a lot less..

In terms of exchanges/cabinets - Is there a rule of thumb regarding how many cabinets they install in the foot-print of an exchange for VDSL?

My exchange is a rural one , currently in the centre of a small village , I'd estimate that about 50% of the lines currently connected to it would be 2km+ from the current location. so if they want to get to most users they'll have to install cabinets.. I assume.

They might add VDSL cabs in the surrounding area in a few years, but for now they wont as its not economical compared to housing estates.

When the exchange goes to NGN you'll get 8Mb ADSL2+ and people in the centre of the village will get up to 100Mb VDSL2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Is there a way to find out which exchange (or cabinet) someone is connected to via a phone number?

Not what speed it is capable of, but which actual exchange one is hooked up to. I'm puzzled as nearly all of the cabinets around me are VDSL2 enabled yet this line can regularly syncs at ~6Mbit? Unfortunately this house is on a private road and I can't load the address on many checker type sites.

I phoned Vodafone, who claimed that 12Mbit was the maximum speed of that line, so does that mean the exchange I'm connected to is ADSL2? Also are you only connecting to the cabinet (as opposed to the exchange) if you are getting VDSL2?

Thanks

The house in question is located near Mincloon, Galway, off the Mincloon Road

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭bealtine

Is there a way to find out which exchange (or cabinet) someone is connected to via a phone number?

Exchange yes but cabinet no not really yet...

See www.irelandoffline.org/map and use the "find by" menu option

Not what speed it is capable of, but which actual exchange one is hooked up to. I'm puzzled as nearly all of the cabinets around me are VDSL2 enabled yet this line can regularly syncs at ~6Mbit? Unfortunately this house is on a private road and I can't load the address on many checker type sites.

I phoned Vodafone, who claimed that 12Mbit was the maximum speed of that line, so does that mean the exchange I'm connected to is ADSL2? Also are you only connecting to the cabinet (as opposed to the exchange) if you are getting VDSL2?

Thanks

The house in question is located near Mincloon, Galway, off the Mincloon Road

Yes there is actually, if you put your phone number into the following link, the cabinet details are sometimes returned.

https://www.eircom.net/prequalWidget/rest/ardaddresslook/phone-rsp/XX-YYYY/broadband/true

Where XX is your area code and YYYY is your phone number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement