Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can anyone recommend or help me rule out a satellite broadband provider?

• 12-09-2014 8:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭

So more and more often when my three connection craps out I start thinking about getting a satellite broadband connection and this time I think I have to bite the bullet and go for it.

If anyone has any recommendations then I'd be happy to hear them. At the moment Onwave seems to be the best option but I'm still considering Digiweb. Main requirement is a 20GB min data limit and a nighttime period when usage doesn't count.

And a specific question: Whats the advantage of SES? Seems slightly more expensive for a smaller download limit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pocketmo

I've just compiled a comparison of Digiweb, Onwave, Europasat and Avonline in respect of provision of Tooway Satellite. I have ruled out Digiweb as they have the worst offering and do not offer unlimited overnight usage (only 50%). My preference is Onwave on the Tooway 25 deal, which gives 25Gb monthly allowance and unlimited overnight.

Avonline is based in the UK and offers Avanti (as well as Tooway) which is supposed to have less contention and be a good bet for Ireland but the cheapest deal with overnight unlimited data offers 50Gb monthly data allowance at €74.95 per month. QSAT also offer Avanti but nowhere near the Avonline deal.

Onwave Tooway Residential packages do not come with a static IP address so I'm not too sure of the best way to address that - perhaps somebody else might. Onwave SES residential packages do have a static IP address.

I have no experience with SES - I am currently using Tooway under the NBS and so far it seems to be more reliable than the very poor £G through Three that we were on previously.

I'd be interested to hear what you go for in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

pocketmo wrote: »

I'd be interested to hear what you go for in the end.

On hold again because 3 service has become more usable, for reasons I can't go into here the service is very cheap ;) but I guess that will end when they finally fully merge with O2.

I'd ruled out Digiweb and QSat leaving Tooway but I like the look of Avonline http://avonlinebroadband.ie/packages/ and buying the equipment seems a reasonable deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Big Wex fan

When u say three, i assume u mean mobile broadband. I'm on meteor, router is up in the attic to get strong signal. To improve signal i bought an antenna from china for around 10 bucks to help improve strength. it's a Huawei B260 3G Router.
    The things we have to do to get a decent broadband signal in good old 'modern' Ireland!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭chewed

When u say three, i assume u mean mobile broadband. I'm on meteor, router is up in the attic to get strong signal. To improve signal i bought an antenna from china for around 10 bucks to help improve strength. it's a Huawei B260 3G Router.
    The things we have to do to get a decent broadband signal in good old 'modern' Ireland!!!

Did your antenna work? I was given a booster by 3 and I find it absolutely useless!

Ya, definitely- getting constant HSPA signal. Also i contacted meteor & asked where the mast I was using so I have it pointed in the right direction.

There's a similar thread 'how to boost your 3G signal' or something similar to that.
    Got this bit of info below from it

"Interesting this came back up at just the right time. I discovered that restricting the routers to 900MHz made a huge difference in usability. Even the suspect B683 responded to this and seems to be not dying anymore.
    The problem was the 2100Mhz band all along, and it seems the firmware gives that some priority, which is fine in urban locations, but rurally the 900MHz signal is better at coping with foliage, weather, etc."

• Advertisement

chewed wrote: »
    Did your antenna work? I was given a booster by 3 and I find it absolutely useless!

In case you didn't know three have given you nothing they have lent you a booster and will want €200 from you if you cancel your contract and don't return it :mad:

my3cents wrote: »
    In case you didn't know three have given you nothing they have lent you a booster and will want €200 from you if you cancel your contract and don't return it :mad:

Yes, I've heard this from a lot of people! I'll hang onto it just in case. In fact, I think my speeds are better when I turn it off! :confused:

Ya, definitely- getting constant HSPA signal. Also i contacted meteor & asked where the mast I was using so I have it pointed in the right direction.

There's a similar thread 'how to boost your 3G signal' or something similar to that.
    Got this bit of info below from it

"Interesting this came back up at just the right time. I discovered that restricting the routers to 900MHz made a huge difference in usability. Even the suspect B683 responded to this and seems to be not dying anymore.
    The problem was the 2100Mhz band all along, and it seems the firmware gives that some priority, which is fine in urban locations, but rurally the 900MHz signal is better at coping with foliage, weather, etc."

Thanks! What antenna did you buy?

And did you use that with a B683 router? I assume you need to point it in the direction of the mast?

• Advertisement

If you haven't already then look the location of the masts near you here.

And yes you'll need to point that antenna in the direction of the mast you are connecting to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Check out http://www.broadbandforall.eu/

Satellite is ****ing awful but I imagine it will be a lot better than 3 in your area. Here I'm lucky I have DSL but the neighbours had to put up with NBS

Chris___ wrote: »
    Check out http://www.broadbandforall.eu/

Satellite is ****ing awful but I imagine it will be a lot better than 3 in your area. Here I'm lucky I have DSL but the neighbours had to put up with NBS

Thanks a couple on that list I hadn't come across. Still with 3 which is back working reasonably. Rural area and I get really hit hard when neighbors use 3 but most have cursed them and moved onto vodafone :) which I of course recommend as being far superior :D

chewed wrote: »
    And did you use that with a B683 router? I assume you need to point it in the direction of the mast?

No, I've a B260a router, getting old but still doing the job. The antenna cost next to nothing so pleasantly surprised when it worked out. There are other antenna out there that are externally mounted that cost 50/60 Euro.

Quick question....I have a B683 router. I have it upstairs pointing towards the nearest mast (which is around 12km away). I get about 2 bars reception when I look at the Admin panel. On a good day (8am to 5pm) I can get an average speed of 3-6 Mbps. After 6pm it can shoot down to under 1 Mbps. Is it worth me getting an antenna (internal or external) to try and boost reception? Will it make any difference to the speeds I'm getting?

Mine is much the same - slowest is 1 mbps, signal strength is always max & HSPA. I don't know if a stronger signal will give you better ping & download speeds. But if going to use for heavy usage like gaming, I think stronger the signal the better.

Advertisement