Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting from Kilkenny to NUI Maynooth

• 06-09-2011 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Anyone driving up & down from Kilkenny to Maynooth every day? I'm starting a BA & looking for a lift this year. Very quiet & easygoing & will happily share the burden with petrol, insurance etc.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Mastroph

I'm from Kilkenny and as far as I know nobody does this. On fridays it normally takes upwards of 2 hours to get home. Some of this is due to traffic in Maynooth on a friday afternoon, but you're still looking at and hour and a half at the very least. Public transport I imagine would be about the same and extremely expensive.

In my opninion your best bet would be to find accommodation in Maynooth and maybe just go home at weekends. It's not too late to start looking. :o

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Don't do this to yourself. You'll waste your college experiences in the passenger seat if you do. Good luck either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

lordgoat wrote: »
    Don't do this to yourself. You'll waste your college experiences in the passenger seat if you do. Good luck either way.

:confused: What if the OP can't afford to move out? And needs a lift to be able to, shocking as this may sound, complete their education?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mrcurious

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Anyone driving up & down from Kilkenny to Maynooth every day? I'm starting a BA & looking for a lift this year. Very quiet & easygoing & will happily share the burden with petrol, insurance etc.

Hey im from kilkenny and have looked up commuting by public transport.

its very hard commuting from here, by train you could go from kilkenny in the mornins ud be there by 10 at the latest..

the journey is kilkenny > hueston > connolly > maynooth

it costs 30 euro return with student card. This is fact as iv done it. if you book it online its cheaper. the last train back is 6.45 thats hueston > kilkenny so youd have to allow 45 mins for train from maynooth and luas accross.

this works out more expensive than renting..you'l stil find something on daft (i did yesterday) and if the deposits the problem (like in my case until this weekend) the local credit union will lend you the money which can be repaid at really low rates such as €10 per week. u mite have to get ur rents to sign on the loan as backup.

theres a bus back at 5.30 or sumthin..bus up isnt possible its a 4 hour journey and ud miss all your lectures :(

you could check if theres a weekly rate it might bring down the price.

hope this is helpful in some way...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Drive up from Kilkenny is at best 70 minutes with no traffic and a nippy driver (ie. my dad). If on the other hand the person is a slowish driver then it'll be over an hour and a half. I honestly don't think you'll find anyone that goes that distance every day.

Lots commute from Navan and Drogheda but there is a direct bus to there and it's not far from Navan. Kilkenny I think is too far a distance for people to be going every day.

If you are able to get a lift to Carlow then you can get the bus up every day and be there in time for 9 and gone by the evening time. It'll be heavy going and not something that would have appealed to me at all but everyone is different. Best of luck anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭coolperson05

Firstly I think it's a genuine option for people these days. An hour and a half would only mean leaving about 7.15am and arriving home at 7/8ish at the latest. That's not ridiculous. I know people going to college in Dublin and living in Kildare/Wicklow that travel over 90mins to college everyday - A much shorter distance. It is much cheaper as meals and accomod. would be at home. You'll have friends in college to crash with on the nights out. The main problem is there's no public transport option so it's drive or nothing. But I wouldn't rule it out, the days of mammy paying to live away for 4 years are long gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

mrcurious wrote: »
    Hey im from kilkenny and have looked up commuting by public transport.

its very hard commuting from here, by train you could go from kilkenny in the mornins ud be there by 10 at the latest..

the journey is kilkenny > hueston > connolly > maynooth

it costs 30 euro return with student card. This is fact as iv done it. if you book it online its cheaper. the last train back is 6.45 thats hueston > kilkenny so youd have to allow 45 mins for train from maynooth and luas accross.

I don't know much about this but just so you know, the 66/67 stops right beside Hueston, so you could cut out the train to Connolly/luas. :)

Thats really helpful!! do u know if theres buses on sundays i could use to get to my accom?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭MarkTheBaby

Isn't there a JJ Kavanagh to Naas that offers a connection to Maynooth?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

mrcurious wrote: »
    Thats really helpful!! do u know if theres buses on sundays i could use to get to my accom?
    None that I know of anyway, unless a different company runs any
    Isn't there a JJ Kavanagh to Naas that offers a connection to Maynooth?
    The 8.20 to Naas usually arrives on time, as the Maynooth bus is usually later than 10.15. Getting back can be a problem though, as it can often miss the return bus.

Another option is if you can get a lift to Carlow, the bus leaves there at 7am and goes to directly to Maynooth, and arrives back at 7.40pm

I have lots of info on Kavanagh buses to Maynooth from Kilkenny from personal experience, so if anyone wants any other info I'll happily help

But I would recommend accomodation if you can get it rather than going up and down every day. Again, from personal experience

:confused: What if the OP can't afford to move out? And needs a lift to be able to, shocking as this may sound, complete their education?

Awesome advice, now let's see if anyone from Kilkenny agrees with you.

Nope, didn't think so.

As pointed out, it's too expensive to do it by public transport and too long to drive there.

Also taking into account how motivated one would be to study hard, having to get a lift for well over an hour in the morning and evening I think his education would suffer less from moving closer to the college.

Im from kk and i really think commuting from here would be a nightmare.

I dont think some could do it and others couldnt...ud be worn out...trains and busses dont fit timetables either....

The lad was looking for a car share which wouldn't be more expensive than living out of home. Some people simply cannot afford to move out of home. Or cannot leave home for a whole variety of issues. But you have an answer for everything don't you? Sure, ideal scenario, you move up and everything's rosey but I'm sure the OP would be doing that if it was an option. Awaits argumentative response.

The lad was looking for a car share which wouldn't be more expensive than living out of home. Some people simply cannot afford to move out of home. Or cannot leave home for a whole variety of issues. But you have an answer for everything don't you? Sure, ideal scenario, you move up and everything's rosey but I'm sure the OP would be doing that if it was an option. Awaits argumentative response.

Yawn.

Let's see what the people who drive from KK said, oh wait there aren't any in this thread, and the people that are from around there don't see it as a viable option.

You also assume the OP wants to move up to save money. Maybe that's true, maybe it's not. Fact is to commute to and from KK on daily basis is very very difficult. Spending 3hours minimum in a car a day, there are few things that would make that bearable.

I stand by what i said OP, try at all costs to move up. Look for a cheap place to live - try the accomodation thread, look for a part time job. And as before good luck.

No argument forthcoming..i had considered the lad may hav a child or some other scenario...im still awaiting the reasoning for not moving up from the OP...if and when i speak to kilkenny folk up here il do what i can..

No war intended..my apologies

Wasn't aimed at you. Was aimed at the other chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

ill be driving home friday's Op but most likely driving up sundays. Again the times that lectures end at can mix things up again but I could give u a lift back to the city on fridays if you finish that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 EUSTY500

Thanks for all the replies. I want to go up & down every day because I'm a mature student with a young son & don't fancy being away from him & my partner all the time. I think Maynooth is close enough to be commutable (I know plenty of people who spend hours getting from one side of Dublin to the other every day) & I hope that there might be someone out there in the same boat as me, except with a car :)

I'm an Arts student as well so I'm a bit flexible on arrival / departure days.

Keep the comments coming though - I rdeally appreciate it & if it seems like I've no choice but to use public transport, then at least I'll know that I'm stuck with that or perhaps a flat in Maynooth.

I think commuting by public transport would be do-able. Particularly where you'll have mornings you're not in until 10/11 and early evenings, etc. And with your lifestyle it means you can get work done on the way. With a son and family, study time at home would be limited! At least you'd have the train/bus ride to do stuff.
    Best of luck with it all! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Thx1182

Have a look here http://www.nuim.ie/location/student_buses.shtml you can get the early bus to naas then wait until 8:15 and get the connection to NUIM, good old kavanaghs :D

I'll probably be getting it myself a couple of times depending on coursework

best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Just FYI that morning bus left at 8:10 last year, although it was 8:15 on the timetable. Might be the same this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

I commute from Portlaoise everyday it take 1hr 15. Its annoying but doable and worth it to get home to my partner/bed..

• Registered Users Posts: 7 frannydouche

Does anyone at this stage travel from Kilkenny to Maynooth and would they be interested in giving a lift each day to a nice chap.. would be greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Green Oval

I go to Maynooth from Castlecomer on Mondays at 8am if that's any use to anybody.
    I'm a mature student who drives up and back Monday and Wedensday every week of term. It's no big deal but i would'nt like to be doing it every day. I've heard of people driving from Kilkenny city. It is being done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

A public transport communte would be very hard but driving would be doable.

Advertisement