Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Does Heineken really only contain 3 ingredients

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

BeerNut wrote: »
    :confused: Guinness is always brewed with roasted barley, which is non-compliant. Foreign breweries don't have to comply with the Reinheitsgebot to sell beer in Germany.

While I don't have the book (Michael Jackson Beer Companion) I've read that the roasted barley is replaced with malts for Germany.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

enda1 wrote: »
    While I don't have the book (Michael Jackson Beer Companion) I've read that the roasted barley is replaced with malts for Germany.
    Possibly in the 1980s it was, but it hasn't been a requirement since 1988.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

BeerNut wrote: »
    Possibly in the 1980s it was, but it hasn't been a requirement since 1988.

I did also read that while it stopped being a requirement for imports, they (against European law) could still refuse imports of beer well later than the 80's until it was challenged and they stopped. The continentals tend to be quite protectionist!

Anyway, overall I was saying that they could just brew a certain batch for the German's that followed that tradition while not for the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

enda1 wrote: »

Anyway, overall I was saying that they could just brew a certain batch for the German's that followed that tradition while not for the rest of us.

Roasted malt is listed as an ingredient till the later 1970's, park royal brewery in 1983 is the first to use all roasted barley (ref: A bottle of Guinness please). But research by Martin Cornell (Ref: http://zythophile.wordpress.com) has shown Guinness to have used roasted barley from the 1920's. Possibly they where using a mix or change in and out of the two till the 1980's.

Advertisement