Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Editor to proof read

• 03-01-2013 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

I've made the decision to self publish a fictional novel. It most definitely needs professional editing and critique of storyline and characters.

I have contacted some editors but they all seem to quote on an hourly basis. I'm a bit nervous about how vague that is. (novel is 70k words)

Can anyone recommend a person/company who will provide such a service?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Leafonthewind

Has anyone read your manuscript at all? A group of beta readers can be very useful for helping you work on things like storyline and characters, as well as pointing out grammatical issues. The more polished your manuscript is before you send it off for professional editing, the less it will cost you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

I know a professional editor who can do that for you, but I second the suggestion about beta readers. You'd be wasting the editor's time, and your own money, if you don't have plenty of imput from readers.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Penname

Thank you both for your replies. I've given it to my mother :) and a writer friend, who both have a keen eye for grammar.

It won't be completely clean, but hopefully not riddled with errors.

EileenG, I'd be interested in contacting your friend if they are available.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Do you want to post up a chapter, either here or in the private Write Club forum? I/we could give you an idea of the amount of work needed to proof it based on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

That's a good idea.

My editor has a sliding scale of charges, so much per 1000 words and a reduction if the novel is clean and relatively error free. No point doing it unless you know what to expect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Penname

Thank you both. (sorry for late reply).

I was recommended someone in the meantime and they are working on it at the moment. Not looking forward to getting it back :o

Advertisement