Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Netflix - General discussion & technical queries

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Gotta make up the loss somewhere'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I've been using Netflix since February. Awesome service.

My only problem with it is that the Canada (where I live at the mo) Netflix selection is so much more limited than the US version. I can only imagine the Irish version to be something similar.

On the positive point, my Canadian membership automatically turns into a US when I use a VPN to connect! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Hmmmm, only streaming you say, so those who want to watch it on their telly need to plug it into their laptop.
    How well does streaming work with 2-3Mb/s connections, have you to let it buffer for half an hour, what works best ?.

Those who torrent/rapidshare will still go down this route due to the negligible cost & the ability to get very early releases.
    These more tech savy people already have media players hooked up to the network or play content through a USB key.

I fear once people learn how to hook up their PC's & Laptops it'll encourage them to go a step further & find free content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Hmmmm, only streaming you say, so those who want to watch it on their telly need to plug it into their laptop.

In the US Netflix can be streamed to all the consoles, lots of networked Bluray players and smart TVs, Apple TV, Roku, WDTV Live, various other set-top media players, etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

seamus wrote: »
    Because torrenting or using dodgy streaming sites isn't something that your run-of-the-mill person can do.

And indeed most computers are still relegated to the back room on the desk desk. People still want to watch their movies in their front room on the big telly.

If they can get the delivery right, it'll work. At the moment I stream from my machine to my TV over the internal network. I probably would pay a small fee to cut out the middle bit and access the stuff directly from my TV, if it was giving me movies and TV shows as soon as they're available elsewhere.

You might as well ask why people download via iTunes when they can torrent it? Because it's easier to pay for it.

Some good points. I'm personally looking forward to this even though I download the latest shows etc as they air. Sure I can download a movie I feel like watching, wait for it to download, stick it on the hard drive and stream it to my Xbox as I currently do but the idea of having a huge library of TV shows and movies ready to stream instantly on the xbox for a reasonable monthly fee (€10 maximum imo) is incredibly appealing. The idea of being able to sit down, browse a catalogue, hit play and start watching straight away is brilliant. I don't always know exactly what I want to watch so something like this would be perfect (also good for getting into shows you missed first time around rather than having to queue up 7 seasons of a show to download).
    Not to mention much of the netflix library is in HD also which is quite appealing.

Just because many people, including non-techies, can download the latest tv shows doesn't mean it's going to fail. The convenience factor of a having a movie/tv library ready to watch at any time should be factored in. People still buy DVD's don't they?

Having said all this, it all entirely depends on the catalogue available and the price being charged but if they do it right, I for one will definitely subscribe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'm not sure there's much to get excited about here. Netflix is looking very vulnerable at the moment. As the Qwikster debacle shows, there are obviously idiots running the company. And the way things are going, Apple or someone is going to swoop into that big opening and offer some serious competition. The problem is the studios and cable companies are hell bent on destroying anyone who attempts to offer an alternative to their cartel. I can't see Netflix being a serious player 2 years from now. They are going to get wiped out one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Unfortunately Netflix here will suffer the same fate as Lovefilm in the UK, and have a severely limited catalogue due to Sky's chokehold on the subscription-based Video on Demand service. Sky pay millions to get the both the TV and On Demand rights to these movies, so unless Netflix is willing to folk over more than Sky when Sky's contract ends with them, we won't get a great selection. I somehow doubt that Netflix will be willing to pay as much as Sky (which is in the hundreds of millions) just for the Irish and UK market.

Still a great gain for the Irish market all the same. The fact that Netflix is implemented into everything from Tablets, to Smartphones, TVs, BR Players and game consoles makes it very handy. But it has become significantly worse in the US over the last couple of years, as the Studios got greedy and scared and started pulling content from the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

seamus wrote: »
    I don't think it's too late for a "pay-for" service. Look at the headlines that Napster got more than 10 years ago. Afterwards hundreds of similar services popped up. Sharing and downloading went mainstream.
    Agreed. When Napster went down the tubes, iTunes came along.
    I'm not sure there's much to get excited about here. Netflix is looking very vulnerable at the moment. As the Qwikster debacle shows, there are obviously idiots running the company. And the way things are going, Apple or someone is going to swoop into that big opening and offer some serious competition. The problem is the studios and cable companies are hell bent on destroying anyone who attempts to offer an alternative to their cartel. I can't see Netflix being a serious player 2 years from now. They are going to get wiped out one way or the other.
    I agree that they could die quickly, but I hope they show that an IE/UK market exists so that others can come and sell us their offerings before their untimely demise.
    Dman001 wrote: »
    I somehow doubt that Netflix will be willing to pay as much as Sky (which is in the hundreds of millions) just for the Irish and UK market.
    Netflix may just show other big shows from the US that Sky hasn't bothered taking yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

my Canadian membership automatically turns into a US when I use a VPN to connect! :D

now this i did not know! SCORE!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Does anyone know the following questions?
    1) approx price in Ireland - I think it is about $8 in the states. If this equates here I would say that most vid shops will be in danger and there will be some genuine competition for sky's non sports coverage.
    2) approx start up time - simply because I can't wait :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,905 ✭✭✭dodzy

ads20101 wrote: »
    Does anyone know the following questions?
    1) approx price in Ireland - I think it is about $8 in the states. If this equates here I would say that most vid shops will be in danger and there will be some genuine competition for sky's non sports coverage.
    2) approx start up time - simply because I can't wait :D

Talking to a friend today who is involved with PR for this event - launching here Tuesday next apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

if its the same as netflix in canada, it is bound to fail, not enough up to date content.

Netflix is being advertised with Ironman 2 in canada, thats been out a long time now and its the best they have got! TV content not up to scratch at all either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

What is the minimum broadband you need to make streaming viable? I am on 20MB, will it play instantly in HD in that? I would be plugging the laptop into the TV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

ankles wrote: »
    What is the minimum broadband you need to make streaming viable? I am on 20MB, will it play instantly in HD in that? I would be plugging the laptop into the TV

You're on 20Mb, not MB. Go to speedtest.net to see what you are actually getting on your laptop.

Netflix 720p is about 5Mb/s audio+video and 1080p (limited rollout) is ~8Mb/s.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I have heard the Netflix app is now appearing on Irish PS3's, but it doesn't do anything yet.

Not at home so can't check mine.

Can't be too far away from launching now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,905 ✭✭✭dodzy

ankles wrote: »

+1 on voodu's post. 20mb will be fine, no question.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Sure don't apple have a similar service already through iTunes, which is very limited in Ireland due to some law or other over here? Why would Netflix be any different?

L'prof wrote: »
    Sure don't apple have a similar service already through iTunes, which is very limited in Ireland due to some law or other over here? Why would Netflix be any different?

Netflix = One (hopefully) low monthly fee for unlimited streaming TV/movies on your phone/console/TV/tablet/computer...

iTunes = Paying for each individual video per download, on less devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Netflix = One (hopefully) low monthly fee for unlimited streaming TV/movies on your phone/console/TV/tablet/computer...

iTunes = Paying for each individual video per download, on less devices.

Fair enough, people were getting excited about Netflix and then qualifying that excitement by saying that they hoped the content wouldn't be too greatly reduced from that of the American Netflix. I was just pointing out that that seemed to already be the case with iTunes, so why should it be any different with Netflix? That was my main point really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

I have heard the Netflix app is now appearing on Irish PS3's, but it doesn't do anything yet.

Not at home so can't check mine.

Can't be too far away from launching now.

Yeh seen mine today. I could download the app. But just said coming to Ireland soon.

• Advertisement

Looks like its just gone live.

6.99 per month

1 month free trial

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Yeh seen mine today. I could download the app. But just said coming to Ireland soon.

Any sign of it coming soon on xbl? I just had a gander on the IE & UK avvounts and no sign of the app, however if you look here https://signup.netflix.com/ it seems o be offering it on the xbox

foxerv1 wrote: »
    Any sign of it coming soon on xbl? I just had a gander on the IE & UK avvounts and no sign of the app, however if you look here https://signup.netflix.com/ it seems o be offering it on the xbox

Dunno about 360 but its working on the PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Selection of stuff is woeful. I genuinely wouldnt pay €2pm for as bad a selection as that. (let alone €7pm)

Not a huge selection, but some good stuff up there. They are still in talks with Sony and some other big studios I think so the collection will probably improve.

I could see myself using this to finally get around to watching Breaking Bad & Dr Who. Some decent movies up there but not a lot of them.

Can cancel anytime so I guess you could use it till you've seen all you want to see and then cancel. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I don't know - quick glance seems to show some interesting stuff on there! Better than I was expecting, anyway.

Gonna give it a whirl on PS3 now and see how it works.

Dunno about 360 but its working on the PS3.

Free trial is working for me on the PC, would be nice to get it going on the xbox, good addition to 4od

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

I just created an american xbl account to download the app to see if it will work for me.
    Xbox usually release updates for stuff, including new apps, on wednesdays.

CMpunked wrote: »
    I just created an american xbl account to download the app to see if it will work for me.
    Xbox usually release updates for stuff, including new apps, on wednesdays.

Let me know if it works. Nice addition the the sky for you ;)

EDIT: Actually, how does one set up a US account??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

EDIT: Actually, how does one set up a US account??

Go to: Hotmail.com and create an account.
    Create it preferably in the region you want to have your xbl account set up for, US or UK.

When thats done head over to xbox.com and scroll to the bottom. Again, chose the region. In this sense, pick United states.
    Now make a new xbl account using your newly made email address.
    (for the zip code, i used 10017. Its central parks zip, ;) Dont forget the password you give the account.
    When the account is up and running you will be given a randomised gamertag.

Now, go to your xbox and sign out. And chose sign in.
    Instead of signing in with an account saved, go to the right and pick download account.

Put in your email address and password of your created account.
    You will then download the profile and have a free membership in the region you made it for.
    This means you can download apps such as 4od from the UK site and use it with your irish gold account.

Download the apps you want and then sign in with your regular profile. Go into your apps and it should be there. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement