Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Application for full license

• 23-05-2007 10:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭

I'm applying for my full driving license. What category of license do I want to apply for?

I passed my test in a car .. so that's a B ... can I tick the letters for motorbike aswell? Can I tick the box for car with trailer? How much can I tick?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,233 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think you apply for a B and you will get W added by default.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,876 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I believe you can tick B, W and M(moped). W will get added by default as Victor said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

I sent it off today and just ticked B... guess we'll see. I need to look more into that EB though and see what exactly it covers.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,233 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You need to apply for a provisional EB then. Until you pass the EB test, you are only allowed draw small trailers up to a certain weight (3.5t?).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,947 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Victor wrote:
    You need to apply for a provisional EB then. Until you pass the EB test, you are only allowed draw small trailers up to a certain weight (3.5t?).
    I don't think that's correct Victor. I'm not 100% sure myself but here goes:

1. A category B licence allows the drawing of a trailer providing that the gross weight of the trailer (trailer+load) is less than 750kg and that the total weight of the combination (trailer + car) is less than 3,500kgs.

2. A category EB licence allows the drawing of a heavier trailer providing that the gross weight of the car and trailer is less than 4,250kgs.

3. A motorist on a provisional EB licence is legally required to be accompanied by a person with a full EB licence and must display L-plates when the trailer is attached.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's 1 or 2
    1 means you can have a 2 tonne GVW car pulling a 1.5 tonne GVW caravan
    http://www.transport.ie/roads/licensing/licence/index.asp?lang=ENG&loc=1836
    Towing a Trailer

If you hold a category B licence and wish to tow a trailer you may do so provided
    (1) the design gross vehicle weight of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle and the combination does not exceed 3500 kg or
    (2) the design gross vehicle weight of the trailer does not exceed 750 kg.
    If you wish to tow a heavier trailer you must hold a category EB licence.

The holder of a driving licence in category C1, C, D1 or D may tow a trailer provided the design gross vehicle weight of the trailer does not exceed 750 kg. Categories EC1, EC, ED1 or ED (depending on the towing vehicle) must be held in order to tow trailers in excess of 750 kg.

But since a B license covers a W one you can have a tractor and trailer combination many times heavier than the B license itself allows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

So with a full B license I could pull a small trailer like http://www.golfcarassociates.co.za/images/thumbs/smallgolfcartrailer.jpg legally?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,947 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ciaranfo wrote:
    So with a full B license I could pull a small trailer like http://www.golfcarassociates.co.za/images/thumbs/smallgolfcartrailer.jpg legally?
    From the look of it, I'd say you will be legally covered with a B license. It's a very light trailer and therefore will have a small load limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

i think there is something in the new European Directive On Driving Licences about towing trailors.. its not straight forward trying to calculate what you can and cant tow..

i mean.. whats the story if you are towing a broken down car (with a rope) !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Am i right in saying you can exchange your provisional licence (providing you have your certificate of competency) for a full licence in your nearest motor tax office once you pass your test????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

RedorDead wrote:
    Am i right in saying you can exchange your provisional licence (providing you have your certificate of competency) for a full licence in your nearest motor tax office once you pass your test????

Yes but it's not quite as easly as just exchanging one fo the other. You need to fill out the application form, have 2 passport photos signed on the back and your fee (25 euro for a 10 year licence).

They won't give you the full licence there and then, though if you're nice and say you need it fast, they might have it ready for you the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

Usually that is only the case with emergencies such as travel and they would need proof of travel as well.

OP, if you only ticked B, you may only get B. It depends on whether the issuer can be bothered to remove the likes of W and M.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

Yes i am an idiot... What website is it that u book ur full license on .. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Maskedgameguru

How long does in usually take for license to be post out.

Advertisement