Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone entering the Francis MacManus competition this year?

Options
  • 17-01-2012 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭

RTE run a short story competition annually - the Francis McMahon competition.

This year the closing date is 20th Jan.

Has anyone ever bothered entering?

I'm currently reading a compilation of prize winning stories since 1984, and it's dour going.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

you mean this one?
    http://www.rte.ie/radio1/francismacmanus/

hadn't heard of it, might do it next time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Toasterspark

I dunno, I don't think I'm pretentious enough to enter. Just the vibe I get from just reading up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

I dunno, I don't think I'm pretentious enough to enter. Just the vibe I get from just reading up on it.

Don't say that Toasterspark, you're totally pretentious enough! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Inky_Lady

*MacManus.
    Competition is usually tough for this one. I have too much on to put the work into an entry this year but my OH is planning on entering.
    Best of luck to all who are giving it a go!

*puts down champagne*

How rude! I am not pretentious!

If I can find time between my golf practice and my day-trips to the continent, I'll be sure to try and scrape something together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I read all of the winners and runner-ups from 1986 to 1995 and there seems to be a commonality among them all:

1. Written in first person
    2. Author looking back to some event in the past, usually the death of a family member
    3. Very depressing

As I went from story to story I couldn't believe the sameness of them all. There were a few stand outs and notable exceptions, but on the whole 90% of the winning entries conformed to the above three rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Long Room Hubba

I read all of the winners and runner-ups from 1986 to 1995 and there seems to be a commonality among them all:

2. Author looking back to some event in the past, usually the death of a family member
    3. Very depressing

As I went from story to story I couldn't believe the sameness of them all. There were a few stand outs and notable exceptions, but on the whole 90% of the winning entries conformed to the above three rules.

That's not necessarily the judges' preference, though. I imagine they fall with great relief on anything that stands out from the pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

It is a radio competition so the enteries are intended to be read out loud, which does make a difference. They employ actors to read the winning enteries and I didn't hear all 25 that were broadcast last year, pretty late at night, but they seemed a fairly mixed bunch. Some were excellent and others I just didn't get and I thought "I could do as well as that..", until I tried.

The word count is very specific, 1800-2000 words, again so that they fit into a given time slot, and I found it difficult to stick to it but I sent off an entry today so that I wouldn't break my New Year's resolution before January was out. My reasoning is that for the sake of the price of a stamp it might as well be in their bin as in mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭PurpleBee

echo beach wrote: »
    My reasoning is that for the sake of the price of a stamp it might as well be in their bin as in mine.

Don't be so pessimistic!

PurpleBee wrote: »
    Don't be so pessimistic!

But I have reason to be.
    1) I didn't write it in the first person
    2) It doesn't look back and none of my family dies
    3) It isn't depressing at all, in fact it has a happy ending.

On top of that I'm not pretentious (at least I don't think I am) so what hope have I?:p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

DublinWriter, I edited the thread title to read 'MacManus'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

echo beach wrote: »
    But I have reason to be.
    1) I didn't write it in the first person
    2) It doesn't look back and none of my family dies
    3) It isn't depressing at all, in fact it has a happy ending.

On top of that I'm not pretentious (at least I don't think I am) so what hope have I?:p

write a happy story then put at the end "and then my -family member- died"
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

3. Very depressing

I have approximately one-and-a-half of those components. I shall channel the spirit of my dead grandmother for the remaining quotient.

Knowing her, she probably won't comply.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

bluewolf wrote: »
    write a happy story then put at the end "and then my -family member- died"
    :D

In Derren Brown's Confessions of a Conjuror, he talks about a boy in his class who had no gift for or interest in creative writing, who used to infuriate his teacher by having every story consist of a long chain of increasingly nonsensical events which bore no relation to one another, and always finishing with the same line: "Then I woke up. Then I died."

Excerpt from my entry:
    The dentist's reception area was a dreary mix of elephant greys and murky blues. The coffee table was groaning under the weight of 'Woman's Weekly' and 'Hello' magazines. Along the walls, outdated pamphlets were stuffed into scratched plastic holders. On the other side of the room a young child played with some building bricks, the best toys clearly broken or stolen. Her mother, a curious paradox of heavy sweater and inch-long mini skirt, chewed gum loudly by her side.

"Get out of here, you swine," yelled a presence to my left.

A woman in her fifties (maybe sixties) hovered in the air waving her hands. She swiped at me viciously, but her ghostly hands went right through me. A chill trickled down my spine.

"Get lost," I whispered, batting my hand in the air. The little child looked at me in wonder, her mother oblivious. "I said - get lost!"

My toothache was bad enough without this old coot badgering me. She was probably a resident of this old house, years ago. I looked up at the dentist's door, hoping for it to open. It was hard sometimes, to ignore spirits. Especially if you don't want people to think you're crazy.

Haha, nah I'm only joking. I tried making it as depressing as possible, but I didn't think I have it in me.

It was the smell I remembered the most. The smell of overgrown heather in a small Irish country garden. I stood outside the abandoned, desolate cottage, now as welcoming to the elements as it had been to me in my youth. Each footstep I took to the abandoned front door seemed to be measured in years rather than feet.

At the threshold I paused, paused in an infinity of possibility and ancient platitudes. The wooden front door, rotten and corrupt, seemed to taunt me by the jaunty angle it happily hung off a single working hinge.

I turned back from the door, jaw strong and resolute. I refused to enter and instead I pulled an AK47 from inside my jacket and hissed to myself...."Trent...you will avenge the death of your father....."

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Slang_Tang

3. Very depressing

Where did you read them all?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Inky_Lady

They do release collections of winning stories, although I'm not sure how regularly. You could try your local second hand bookshop for old copies?

Slang_Tang wrote: »
    Where did you read them all?
    I've a compilation of the winners from 1986 to 1995. Yours for a fiver plus P&P, otherwise it's going into a nearby charity shop soon.

It is that time of year again. Entries are open until 21st January 2013.
    http://www.rte.ie/radio1/francismacmanus/Francis-MacManus-Entry-Form-2013.pdf

1249 entries last year so stiff competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭havetoquit

Because so many books and short stories have been written about childhood days, as in the wonderfully entertaining Alice Taylor's 'Through the Fields to School' and many others, I am wondering if there is room for any more such revelations, or if the interest has waned somewhat.

I keep a daily journal of my own life for my grand children to hopefully enjoy and hand down, but writing it in story form for public reading is not something I would feel terribly sure of, even though it is uplifting, totally not sad, does much to shed light on a time past and life in the places I have lived and traveled in. There are many characters who hugely impacted upon my years, including some who still do and our interactions have often produced many hilarious moments which I treasure.

At the end of the day it is not written from imagination, but from experiences and perhaps this road has been trodden thus too often by others, so I hesitate.

I also think personally, that although I love writing and telling a story to those I correspond with on a regular basis, I do not perhaps have the necessary skills to lay it out and present it in a way that would render it acceptable in the literal sense.

What form of expression does one use to make one's own story compelling enough without sounding contrived and make others want to read it? There are obviously rules to follow and I am without this knowledge unfortunately. I have always considered that those who write great stories are gifted and that it is not something that can be learned.

Personally, I love to read a story with characters that grab my interest in the first couple of chapters and keeps me so engrossed that I cannot bear to put it down. This can be either fact or fiction, but it does need to be uplifting on the whole, or at the very least hint that a happy ending will ensue.

Perhaps I will one day do a course in Creative Writing which will answer these and other questions.

Any tips would be most welcome and appreciated and would go a long way even towards improving my daily journal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

I'm going to give this a go (opens the sealed door containing thoughts of insanity and prepares to spill them onto an A4 page)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mc3

Excerpt from my entry:

Haha, nah I'm only joking. I tried making it as depressing as possible, but I didn't think I have it in me.

Toasterspark, can we have more of your "entry" please?!

Def winner in my book... :p Might inspire us all on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

It was the smell I remembered the most. The smell of overgrown heather in a small Irish country garden. I stood outside the abandoned, desolate cottage, now as welcoming to the elements as it had been to me in my youth. Each footstep I took to the abandoned front door seemed to be measured in years rather than feet.

At the threshold I paused, paused in an infinity of possibility and ancient platitudes. The wooden front door, rotten and corrupt, seemed to taunt me by the jaunty angle it happily hung off a single working hinge.

I turned back from the door, jaw strong and resolute. I refused to enter and instead I pulled an AK47 from inside my jacket and hissed to myself...."Trent...you will avenge the death of your father....."

This.

mc3 wrote: »
    Toasterspark, can we have more of your "entry" please?!

Def winner in my book... :p Might inspire us all on...

I'd forgotten I'd written that 'excerpt'. Damnit, I kind of want to see what happens next as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Just posted off my entry at lunchtime today (I know, VERY last minute!) It's really strange that they don't accept entries via email, but fingers crossed now! Does anyone know when the winners will be announced? Looking forward to seeing what other people wrote!

This year's competition is now open for entries if anybody wants to have a try. http://www.rte.ie/radio1/francis-macmanus-short-story/

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm tempted. If I expanded on one of my earlier VOAT stories - does that count as 'previously published'?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭redser7

Mr E wrote: »
    I'm tempted. If I expanded on one of my earlier VOAT stories - does that count as 'previously published'?

I guess you would have to delete it off the site?

• Advertisement

If you are thinking of entering a version of it anywhere get it deleted. Anything that will show up in a plagiarism checker is 'already published' so it does depend on how much you alter it. Be sure to change names and locations.

Advertisement