Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

€11.5 million settlement as a result of uninsured driver

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

thats bs, you should not veer into the other lane of the road at any speed...wtf is wrong with some people

no wonder the roads are hell to drive on now.

who ever gave that woman 11 million... i want whatever they are smoking.

They didn't give her the money, it was given to the child. Not the mother.

And given that the child needs round the clock care for the rest of their life, 11.7 million does not sound unreasonable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    Read the thread the money was awarded to the child for his life care and not to his mother.

so what...

the child had nothing to do with the mothers decision to cross the middle of the road while taking her son to school uninsured.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

so what...

the child had nothing to do with the mothers decision to cross the middle of the road while taking her son to school uninsured.

Exactly, so that's why the money was awarded to the child. It's not the child's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭el diablo

But the mother is obviously in control of the £11.5m payout and no doubt will benefit massively from it.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭TheChizler

el diablo wrote: »
    But the mother is obviously in control of the £11.5m payout and no doubt will benefit massively from it.

It's been dealt with many times before, the child will be a ward of court and all extraordinary applications will have to be approved by the court. The only things the family are possibly going to benefit from would be a house converted to the needs of the child, suitable car + wheelchair modifications, and possible computer that he would need.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 makesmeLOL

drivingphonemakeup.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

I'm not sure how much I think the resulting injuries should affect the prosecution unless it's a death..

Strictly speaking, it shouldn't, the action should be punished not the consequences. In practice, dangerous driving only usually comes to the attention of the gardai where there is a collision involving a third party, and charges are unlikely unless a serious injury results.
    I slid of a motorway before in snow and luckily only damaged my bumper.. If I hit someone while sliding, should I be prosecuted. I dont think so.

I think so, yes. A driver must drive according to the conditions. You can't blame the weather for crashing. If you're not confident driving in freezing conditions, stay at home.
    If I slid of the road when there is no snow and hit somebody, should I be prosecuted?

Of course.

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

TheChizler wrote: »
    suitable car + wheelchair modifications

hopefully not driven by her though.

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭sitja

was anyone actually able to find if she was uninsured or was it one of those dirty insurance companies tactics that managed to void it.... Its funny how people think that she aint going to see any of the money...... they must think the courts are really strict here.... (if only that was the case)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Regardless of the injuries that anyone sustained or lack of insurance etc:

She crashed head on while driving in the opposite lane and was not prosecuted. How the feck does that happen?

Also, I have two kids, when I put them in a childseat or booster seat, thats where they are staying. I have never had a child get out of their childseat, and they have bloody tried. By the time they are big enough for a booster seat you need to be 100% sure that they will not undo the seat belt and start moving around in the back of the car.

So, how does a child sitting 3 feet behind me can cause me to stop looking at the road? I've had kids fighting, screeching, crying, biting each other, throwing stuff at each other and me, kicking the back of my seat, playing eye spy....... and look at that, I never lost control of my car and drove across a road and crashed head on into some innocent motorist.

The scenario being painted by the media stinks to high heaven. Was that child really in a childseat or booster seat and from that position ending up hitting the windscreen? I just dont believe that it could happen. Or was he hopping around unrestrained in the back of the car so much that he caused his mother to turn around to scold him/whatever.

That woman should have been jailed for what she did and for what she didnt do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

All the holier-than-thou posts on this thread make me nauseous. Yes, she fúcked up royally by not being insured (which is the only reason for the bile on this thread) and some form of non-custodial punishment might be appropriate, but you'd swear she was public enemy number one by the vitriol on here.

I'd like to add a few points:

• In my opinion, jailing the mother will not serve the public interest, nor those of the child. She is part of his caregiving arrangements and if she had to be replaced, the fund would be depleted faster.
    • Some of the money will go to the hospitals that have looked after him to date.
    • Isn't looking into the eyes of your child every day for the rest of his/your life and knowing what you've done to him punishment enough?

this is horse crap to be honest

leaving the child aside, if i drove into a poster here, crossed the middle lane, nice head on smash.

what would the other poser do.. im sure if they found i was not insured they would have a field day with claims against me.

how the driver of this car got 11million from this is mind boggling, if she was a man she would have massive, massive balls of steel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

this is horse crap to be honest

leaving the child aside, if i drove into a poster here, crossed the middle lane, nice head on smash.

what would the other poser do.. im sure if they found i was not insured they would have a field day with claims against me.

how the driver of this car got 11million from this is mind boggling, if she was a man she would have massive, massive balls of steel

The child got an award to pay for past and future life care not the mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

how the driver of this car got 11million from this is mind boggling

The driver didn't get 11 million.

This is obviously very very confusing for you. I'd suggest you stop thinking about it if it's causing your mind to boggle.

But, if you really want to understand any part of the case, read up on it very slowly and see who exactly befits from the money, how it's spent, and how the claim came about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

whats the crack with the poor sod she crashed into ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Yakuza wrote: »
    [*]Isn't looking into the eyes of your child every day for the rest of his/your life and knowing what you've done to him punishment enough?

[/LIST]

No, it's not.

She should be locked up.

There is more than sufficient funds available to the son to have a caregiver while his irresponsible mother serves time.

If someone crashed head on into you, and paralysed your kid and it turns out they were driving in the fashion this bitch was, with no insurance, would you want them locked up?

Pkiernan wrote: »
    No, it's not.

She should be locked up.

There is more than sufficient funds available to the son to have a caregiver while his irresponsible mother serves time.

If someone crashed head on into you, and paralysed your kid and it turns out they were driving in the fashion this bitch was, with no insurance, would you want them locked up?

exactly

give the child all the money he wants but she should be locked up.

she is an absolute role model for irish motorists...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

My mams friend has 2 children that are now in their 20's that need round the clock care, she works her ass off for them, she's spent the last year fund raising to get her daughter to the states for an operation that she desperately needs... It wasn't through her negligence that her children will need to be cared for for the rest of their lives, where's their €11 million... Where's the rest of the families in similar situations €11 million...

I don't get this, from RTE "Ms Kennedy was uninsured at the time. The system used in court saw the case taken by the child's grandfather - against Ms Kennedy."

Pkiernan wrote: »
    No, it's not.

She should be locked up.

exactly

give the child all the money he wants but she should be locked up.

she is an absolute role model for irish motorists...
    What purpose would be served by locking her up? Would it teach her to not do it again? Would she be forever immune to distractions while driving? Is she laughing away thinking, "brilliant, I got away scot free"? It would be further punishment to the child to have his primary caregiver taken away from him. The only crime we definitively know has been committed is driving while uninsured, the only difference from having insurance is the claim resulting from an accident comes from multiple companies rather than one.
    Had the same situation occurred but the other car not been there should she still be jailed? She'd have performed the exact same actions after all. Should everyone who unintentionally does something dangerous with passengers in the car be jailed? Obviously the criminal aspects of this event have been considered by people with more information than us, and an informed decision was made. The family seem to have forgiven her as they all seem very involved and she was happy for them to essentially sue her. 11.5 million won't go far when dealing with injuries of this type. Apart from providing care and medical expenses you have to factor in if he will be able to work when older and provide his basic needs financially.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

I know its a sensative situation, but its disgusting that the good doing people of this country (Who are paying their car insurance) have to suffer for an un insured driver that has caused a horrific accident. Something is all wrong when an uninsured driver is not prosecuted for such an accident.

I would like to know, what compensation did the driver/families of the car that was hit by her?

Is there a moral to the story here, why do we need Insurance if this kind of thing happens?

Im working as hard as i can to keep a car on the road (Which is a real luxury to us as a family now), people swaning around with no documents at all for their cars in regard to being uninsured, un taxed, un tested, perhaps not even a full licence too.

This country is going doing the tube very fast now.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭bananarama22

OK, the child and the family deserve compensation. Especially the child. He is essentially totally paralysed and can not even breathe on his own accord. This child should be taken into care and the mother jailed for a prolonged period of time. I would bet that there is more to this story than meets the eye / ear. No one can possibly crash like that from just looking to the side. People do it all the time when changing lanes, looking in the rear view mirrors checking blindspots and so on so forth.

The things which I want to know are:
    • How could a momentary lapse of judgement cause this?
    • If this child was properly restrained, how could he have been flung forward?
    • Is this woman who was driving around for God knows how long without insurance going to get off scot free? When someones insurance might only be expired a day or two and the poor sod will then end up with a court appearence and points?? Something stinks about this case, and I guarantee there is more to this than they are letting on.

OK, the child and the family deserve compensation. Especially the child. He is essentially totally paralysed and can not even breathe on his own accord. This child should be taken into care and the mother jailed for a prolonged period of time. I would bet that there is more to this story than meets the eye / ear. No one can possibly crash like that from just looking to the side. People do it all the time when changing lanes, looking in the rear view mirrors checking blindspots and so on so forth.

The things which I want to know are:
    • How could a momentary lapse of judgement cause this?
    • If this child was properly restrained, how could he have been flung forward?
    • Is this woman who was driving around for God knows how long without insurance going to get off scot free? When someones insurance might only be expired a day or two and the poor sod will then end up with a court appearence and points?? Something stinks about this case, and I guarantee there is more to this than they are letting on.

Having read more than my fair share of accident incident report I have seen evidence of momentary lapse of concentration causing accidents worse than this one.
    I remember mother care giving training on fitting child seats and booster seats because a huge number are not used properly, the child was 6 at the time of the incident so he was on a booster seat not a child seat, many things may have happened.
    There is no information about the no insurance, it may have been a long time and the mother may have been aware of it or it may have been an error. I was in court last Friday where a person was accused of no insurance, the solicitor had two insurance companies in court to explain why the person was actually insured. BTW it was an appeal so he had been convicted in the DC.
    How anyone can condem this person with our any real evidence is very unfair. I am not saying this person may not deserve serious criminal sanction, but I not anyone else has enough information to decide one way or another, innocent till proven guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I think that incoherent rage from the people that say that she is getting the money is founded on the idea that she will not have a single financial worry for the remainder of the boys life ..... even if she does not get a red cent in her hand/bank account from the payout, she will always have a roof over her head (possibly without a mortgage? would the payout cover that if a new house is necessary?(lets say if she were living in a second floor flat), a grand new car with no car loan under her arse etc etc.

Also to the question of "do you not think she is suffering enough?" no I ****ing dont. She broke laws, they are not there for the fun of it.

Every single cent this woman spends should be accounted for, and documented. If an anomaly is seen in teh spending, she should be jailed. There should be NO cash involved in this settlement. It should ALL be in a bank account, and only accessible by card, and before payment is made on anything it should be approved by some sort of regulatory body. As previous posters have mentioned, I am a young man, if I did this to my younger cousin I would be posting this from solitary confinement on a smuggled android. I see no reason whatsoever that his father or other relative cannot look after him now. His father could have the help of an aid worker, or if the father is absent, he should be sent to another family member with the help of a nurse / doctor, while this woman rots in a jail cell for the rest of her existence. This poor boy is now paying the price for her mothers sptupidity while she gives the middle finger to safe drivers like me who have to pay through the roof insurance premiums solely because I happen to have a penis.

This poor boy is trapped and paralysed in his own body, he is in a jail of his own now.

And to the people who say "she has suffered enough", bo****** I say!! this poor boy will suffer ten times more. Imagine the conflicted feelings he is going to feel towards his own mother for the rest of his life now.

Every single cent this woman spends should be accounted for, and documented. If an anomaly is seen in teh spending, she should be jailed. There should be NO cash involved in this settlement. It should ALL be in a bank account, and only accessible by card, and before payment is made on anything it should be approved by some sort of regulatory body. As previous posters have mentioned, I am a young man, if I did this to my younger cousin I would be posting this from solitary confinement on a smuggled android. I see no reason whatsoever that his father or other relative cannot look after him now. His father could have the help of an aid worker, or if the father is absent, he should be sent to another family member with the help of a nurse / doctor, while this woman rots in a jail cell for the rest of her existence. This poor boy is now paying the price for her mothers sptupidity while she gives the middle finger to safe drivers like me who have to pay through the roof insurance premiums solely because I happen to have a penis.

This poor boy is trapped and paralysed in his own body, he is in a jail of his own now.

And to the people who say "she has suffered enough", bo****** I say!! this poor boy will suffer ten times more. Imagine the conflicted feelings he is going to feel towards his own mother for the rest of his life now.

I assume you missed the posts which explained that all this money will be lodged to a court account. All past medical expenses will be paid from it as will all future expenses. If it was part of the care report then alterations will be made to the family home (such alterations reduce value) and also if part of care report a car to transport the child may be bought again if part of the care report.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

also if part of care report a car to transport the child may be bought again if part of the care report.

If so I sincerely hope the mother will not be allowed drive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

What sort of convictions do people think should be brought against the mother?

Dangerous driving at least, probably with a ban, fine and maybe prison time.
    Anything else?

If the child actually died she could've been charged with manslaughter, she could have faced 5+ years in jail. Thankfully he wasn't.

The penalty for driving uninsured is usually a fine, driving ban and maybe 6 months in prison (probably no prison sentence if it was a first offence)

Where are people getting the idea that she should be locked up for the rest of her life?

snaps wrote: »
    I know its a sensative situation, but its disgusting that the good doing people of this country (Who are paying their car insurance) have to suffer for an un insured driver that has caused a horrific accident. Something is all wrong when an uninsured driver is not prosecuted for such an accident.

I would like to know, what compensation did the driver/families of the car that was hit by her?

Is there a moral to the story here, why do we need Insurance if this kind of thing happens?

Im working as hard as i can to keep a car on the road (Which is a real luxury to us as a family now), people swaning around with no documents at all for their cars in regard to being uninsured, un taxed, un tested, perhaps not even a full licence too.

This country is going doing the tube very fast now.
    It makes absolutely no difference to us as insured drivers if she was insured or not. If she had the crash with third party insurance the claims would be paid out of the premiums of that company's customers. The only difference is a combination of companies are paying in this case. The added expense of getting the MRBI involved is likely insignificant compared to the size of the award which would be similar regardless of the insurance situation. If she'd had comprehensive insurance she could claim her own expenses, so you could probably argue that it's easier on people's premiums for her to crash with no insurance rather than with comprehensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

TheChizler wrote: »
    What purpose would be served by locking her up? Would it teach her to not do it again? Would she be forever immune to distractions while driving? Is she laughing away thinking, "brilliant, I got away scot free"? It would be further punishment to the child to have his primary caregiver taken away from him. The only crime we definitively know has been committed is driving while uninsured, the only difference from having insurance is the claim resulting from an accident comes from multiple companies rather than one.

Firstly, she has been found to have committed a crime and also confessed to it... so why is she exempt from punishment exactly?
    Just because she's paralysed her child does not mean she should be made exempt from any laws she's broken.

Secondly, for everyone defending her - how would you feel if she was driving on her own in her own car, uninsured, and her concentration magically lapsed again and, god forbid, she hit you head on and your son was left paralysed for life.
    Do you think she should be brought in front of a court over the fact she was driving illegally?

Also, people seem to think that driving insured and uninsured are exactly the same.
    They're not.
    If I don't have insurance on my car or if I couldn't afford it, I wouldn't drive it - end of.
    I wouldn't dream of taking it out uninsured.
    If this mother used that kind of common sense, her son would be unaffected.

• Advertisement

Will this woman be allowed to drive the car now if she gets an adapted one from the state? At the very least she should have a driving ban and have to resit her exam again.

Advertisement