Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brupaks Craftsman kit 21 days and counting...

Options
  • 31-10-2014 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I brewed a craftsman Old Ale kit 21 days ago. It is the one that you mash the speciality grains for 40 minutes, then add that to the 3kg of malt extract and boil for an hour.

I measured the OG, and it was 1.058. I pitched the yeast at 24 degrees and set the thermostat to 21 degrees. It has been at 21 degrees the whole time.

The activity in the airlock has slowed, but it is still present. It is not bubbling as such, but the water in the airlock is being held just short of bubbling. If I release the gas it will return to just about bubbling in 20 minutes.

I did a gravity check today and it is at 1.010 to 1.008. The beer is murky to clear, but not fully clear. The taste is good, slightly sweet with a green aftertaste.

The question is, will I bottle now or give it another 3-4 days to settle? It is still in the primary, I an not going to bother racking to the secondary.

Is 1.008 acceptable for an old ale?

Ken

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It is, but what you're looking for is a stable gravity. If it's still reading the same on Sunday and on Tuesday then you're ready to bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

That's great, thanks!

I wish somebody would invent a plastic hydrometer...have broken 3 in the last 6 months, and had to panic order two more yesterday!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

They do exist. The all-in-one Coopers homebrew set comes with one.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

Kencollins wrote: »
    That's great, thanks!

I wish somebody would invent a plastic hydrometer...have broken 3 in the last 6 months, and had to panic order two more yesterday!

get yourself a large tub of pringles, eat the pringles asap then keep new glass hydrometer in tub.

only remove to take reading then return to tub.

i broke my glass hydrometer first day i used it.

Advertisement