Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The problem with Bill Maher

Options
  • 16-10-2008 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

I'm as happy as the next guy here that Bill Maher is promotion skepticism, however he perpetuates the bad name of atheism.

In all his interviews he makes a point of saying he is certainly not an atheist. He describes it as "the same kind of certainty as religion" and:

"I don't use the word "atheist" about myself, because I think it mirrors the certitude I'm so opposed to in religion"

Bill Bill Bill. How could he make his latest movie without even knowing the definition of atheism? It is simply lack of belief. Atheism does not equal absolute certainty.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yeah I also don't like the way he argues against atheism...

I think he said he calls himself a 'rationalist' now

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

He's been quoted as saying he's a deist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

He's also been quoted as saying that pretty much all disease is caused by diet and lack of exercise. He doesn't subscribe to the "germ theory" of disease. While he has his funny moments the guy is a borderline crank.

Wait. Lets get that cleared up; he doesn't think bacteria/viruses/parasites cause illness?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

He also believes that the father is less important in a child's development than the mother is. He does seem to say some pretty silly stuff, but then he gets alot right also and he can be very funny in so doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭DanCorb

Wow, he really thinks he is the authority on everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

The guy is a comedian/presenter. His 'documentary' is a piss take.
    Its by no means a serious ground breaking look at religion.

Does it matter what he defines himself as or if he knows all the different intricate variations and definitions of atheism/agnosticism/deism/......? :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Zillah wrote: »
    Wait. Lets get that cleared up; he doesn't think bacteria/viruses/parasites cause illness?

he thinks the vast majority of illnes in the west is caused by poor diet, and the pharmaceutical industry.. it comes up on his show every now and again, but luckily enough his panelists just look at him like he's an idiot and he moves swiftly on.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭limerick_woody

I think that it is well known across the pond that Maher has some wacky views, he thinks milk is a poison as well! His denial of his clear athiest position however only highlights his ignorance of what atheism actually is. Having said that however, i think he is hilarious and i enjoy his real-time show every week. He attacks religion with a brilliant wit and sarcasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I don't think he disavows the germ theory of disease but simply thinks that most illhealth is as a result of poor nutrition and lifestyle, I personally think he's probably correct.

As far as milk for example goes, a quite rational arguement can be made for adult humans consuming stuff purposed for cow babies isn't such a good idea. Adult lactose intolerance is after all the default state of humanity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Mordeth wrote: »
    he thinks the vast majority of illnes in the west is caused by poor diet, and the pharmaceutical industry.. it comes up on his show every now and again, but luckily enough his panelists just look at him like he's an idiot and he moves swiftly on.

Depending on what he's talking about there could be some merit to that. Diebetes, heart problems etc. Then other things that might not appear as a good diet would lead to an improved immune system

DapperGent wrote: »
    As far as milk for example goes, a quite rational arguement can be made for adult humans consuming stuff purposed for cow babies isn't such a good idea. Adult lactose intolerance is after all the default state of humanity.

There is no such thing as a default state. At one stage our ancestors could not drink milk as adults, then there was a mutation (possibly two independently of each other) and now most people can. We have hearts for the same reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I guess it's true to say that there's no real such thing as a default state but I think the mutation is recent enough and rare enough for definate question marks to be raised about the health benefits of consuming milk in adulthood.

As for most people producing lactase in adulthood certainly the vast majority of Irish people can given our history of herding but looking at the world as a whole, most people are lactose intolerant to one degree or another.

Advertisement