Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Disability Allowance?

• 06-11-2011 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Just wondering how long does it take to be accepted onto disability allowance? I applied about 2 months ago, I don't think I should have to go for a means test as I've been on the allowance before a few years ago.

It's a reoccurring problem for myself and this time I think it could be a more long term problem.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 keith0501

Just wondering how long does it take to be accepted onto disability allowance? I applied about 2 months ago, I don't think I should have to go for a means test as I've been on the allowance before a few years ago.

It's a reoccurring problem for myself and this time I think it could be a more long term problem.

Its really hard to say i got mine back in 2006 within 2 months but a friend of mine tried in march (2011) and didnt get word till september theres alot of ppl out there trying to claim it just because they sneezed so theres a big back log best bet is to ring up and see what month there processing at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sedohre

A friend of mine was taken off the D.A. and she had to appeal their judgement. It took her about 7 months. She went through a nightmare getting it back.

Wish you look.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

A neighbour and friend of mine was waiting 24 weeks on SWA before the DA was granted. I hope that doesn't scare you, but that's my experience with him, despite the CWO doing her best. It seems to vary widely from one Health Board area to another despite the claims all being assessed and processed in Longford.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭WeirdoFreak

I rang up there the other day to see how my claim was coming along, they said their about 2 months behind, so Ill probably be waiting till about February

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭tony.aspergers

After one year of waiting, my application was refused despite my having been on DA twice before for a permanent disability. It would appear that they are trying to make as many people return to the workforce as possible - mainly to these unpaid work experience programme jobs!

I am appealing the decision.

• Advertisement

That's disgraceful, what do they expect you to do like, I was hoping to go on the disability and maybe try a CE Scheme to get back up on me feet,

A full time time job would knock me right back to were I was, I want to build myself back up slowly, I've been putting in a lot of hard work to get my anxiety/depression under control

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I work with a disability organisation and the average wait this year has been approximately 6months for the DA. Most of my clients are getting refusals :( I really dont know how some families will survive next year. I have already put in several referrals to St.Vincent De Paul, and we would only ever do that for a last resort.
    That's disgraceful, what do they expect you to do like, I was hoping to go on the disability and maybe try a CE Scheme to get back up on me feet,

A full time time job would knock me right back to were I was, I want to build myself back up slowly, I've been putting in a lot of hard work to get my anxiety/depression under control

In relation to CE schemes from January 2012 you won't be recieving the double payment for the scheme. You'll just be getting your DA for doing 19 hours work per week. Nice to see our goverment promoting slavery in 2011.

Well I received a letter from them today declining my appeal, it's an absolute joke. So do they think I'm fit enough to work? When I'm still going to counselling and doctors every week.

I've 21 days to appeal it. What happens if I don't appeal it and just keep handing in my certs every week, whats the difference like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Well I received a letter from them today declining my appeal, it's an absolute joke. So do they think I'm fit enough to work? When I'm still going to counselling and doctors every week.

I've 21 days to appeal it. What happens if I don't appeal it and just keep handing in my certs every week, whats the difference like?

I was refused in September and appealed, and today I got a letter granting me disability. No doctor's visit, no new medical forms. I don't know what changed their mind, maybe the fact that my claim was 1 year old and I'm still waiting for more hospital appointments and tests? With the letter was a refusal for fuel allowance as my 'income' was too high.

18 months down the line and I'm still waiting.....and like the OP I've been on it before!

Scandalous!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Hi, It took 18 months for my DA to come through.
    I am a bit phobic about forms, which never helps, but have learnt to just fill out the feckers when they arrive in the door.
    On the upside, I got 'backmoney' after waiting the year , it was 700e and came in very useful for house maintanance ,etc.
    Congrats YellowLabrador on getting DA. Have you looked into the secondary benefits package?
    Tony I wish you luck too, I hope you get a fair result.
    I know I could not work full-time at the moment, between medication side effects, various hospital appointments, I have ptsd / gad which became so bad after a taxi I was a passenger in was in a crash in 05. Luckily the crash only resulted in mild knee/ back damage, it could have been so much worse.
    Am looking into vol. work atm to keep myself in a routine & getting out and meeting people, after the crash I became 'agoraphobic'- or very unwilling to go out for 3 years.

Best of luck to ye waiting decisions. I am still waiting on word re:secondary benefits, they keep asking me to send in seemingly irrelevant letters- like a letter from my sons college saying he goes there. I don't see the relevance- he is not getting any state money (no grant, no dependant allowance) , he is 21 & i support him with my DA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lostandalone

I'm sitting here in tears and don't know what to do next. I applied for disability allowance in June 2011 as my illness benefit was due to cease. I had been on illness benefit since June 09. I had gone back to work in september 09 and only lasted a week. Back on illness benefit again until my entitlement ran out. In November 2011 I got a letter to say the Medical Assessor considered I was unsuitable for Disability Allowance. I appealed this decision and got a letter this morning saying the Medical Assessor again considered I was unsuitable for Disability Allowance. I don't know what to do. I am surviving on Supplementary Welfare of 122.80 a week. My husband is on illness benefit of €188 a week. Our life savings are nearly gone. We've cancelled our pension. We've cancelled our life insurance. Do they think I'm trying to scam the system. Having worked all our lives, reared our kids, paid our taxes, enjoyed our life do they really think this is the way we want to live. If I could work I would. I have degenerative disc disease in my neck and lower back. I have coronary artery disease and I have suffered from depression and severe panic attacks since 2009 due to horrendous intimidation at work. I am under the care of a psychiatrist and a behavioural therapist on a weekly basis. I used to be a really strong person, independent, happy and content with my life. Now it takes me all my strength to go out of the house to go to Mass on a Sunday. But hey folks some doctor who has never met me, who knows nothing about me, who has not examined me or spoken to me has over ruled my G.P. and my Psychiatrist and decided I am fit for work. I know this is long winded but my life's a mess and I don't know what to do next. What is the required medical state to get Disability Allowance. God forbid I should reach it if it has to be worse than my present state.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I'm sitting here in tears and don't know what to do next. I applied for disability allowance in June 2011 as my illness benefit was due to cease. I had been on illness benefit since June 09. I had gone back to work in september 09 and only lasted a week. Back on illness benefit again until my entitlement ran out. In November 2011 I got a letter to say the Medical Assessor considered I was unsuitable for Disability Allowance. I appealed this decision and got a letter this morning saying the Medical Assessor again considered I was unsuitable for Disability Allowance. I don't know what to do. I am surviving on Supplementary Welfare of 122.80 a week. My husband is on illness benefit of €188 a week. Our life savings are nearly gone. We've cancelled our pension. We've cancelled our life insurance. Do they think I'm trying to scam the system. Having worked all our lives, reared our kids, paid our taxes, enjoyed our life do they really think this is the way we want to live. If I could work I would. I have degenerative disc disease in my neck and lower back. I have coronary artery disease and I have suffered from depression and severe panic attacks since 2009 due to horrendous intimidation at work. I am under the care of a psychiatrist and a behavioural therapist on a weekly basis. I used to be a really strong person, independent, happy and content with my life. Now it takes me all my strength to go out of the house to go to Mass on a Sunday. But hey folks some doctor who has never met me, who knows nothing about me, who has not examined me or spoken to me has over ruled my G.P. and my Psychiatrist and decided I am fit for work. I know this is long winded but my life's a mess and I don't know what to do next. What is the required medical state to get Disability Allowance. God forbid I should reach it if it has to be worse than my present state.

Please don't let it get you down, you'll get there in the end. I just collected my 1st payment, 2 e more a week. No fuel allowance, no living alone allowance. no back pay. So now here starts my new battle. I've just had a period of 2 hospital visits a week with 40e in fares, I got run down and exhausted, because my immune system is down, I've ended with bad influenza, then 2 abcesses in the teeth. I feel like I was flattened by a juggernaut. I wish they would understand that we don't want to be sick, we'd rather have a job and know we can keep a roof over our heads, be warm in winter and eat a decent diet.
    I'm really suffering with my abcess, I'm wheat, gluten and dairy intolerant, so grabbing a quick snack is a nightmare. Everything I eat tends to be cooked from scratch or costs a fortune. On top of it all, how am I going to afford a dentist?
    My solution to my problems is to take a deep breath, not let some bureaucrat get me down, I'll go for a nice walk with the doggie, who'll give me lots of love and affection, and tomorrow, another round at the welfare office. If I don't get anywhere, I'll start applying for supplementary expenses, like heating etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 sallyr

Yes its a disgrace the way they treat people in this country, as if it not stresful enough having a disability without have to put people under pressure and having to worry about how to pay for medical expenses etc. Its also upsetting to think people who are allowed into this country and do not have a job are automatically given social welfare payment, accommodation, medical benefit etc. whil people have lived in this country for years cannot get the respect they deserve and yet when you go to social welfare iffices to claim for what you are entitled to you are treatd like **** and as if you have no right to be up there!!!
    Hopefully you will be alright soon and it is best not to worry..

In the mean time i would suggest going to the community welfare office to see if they can give u any help or even advice in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 meghan!

Applied for my DA, April of last year.
    I have a rare condition called Behcets. I suffer from severe arthritis along with mouth ulcers the size of lucazade bottle caps in my mouth, I don't only get 1, I get 10 +. I cant talk, eat or swallow when I get the ulcers.
    I'm only 22. I'm on a list of medication the length of my arm. One of my meds kill off my immune system so im pretty much screwed when it comes to colds, cuts etc!
    Iv spent countless times in hosp. Countless injections of steroids. Iv even had to repeat my leaving cert, I'm in college but yet I'm still repeating my course due to my condition. I find myself in and out of depression all the time

I was refused.
    I'm not trying to scam the system at all , i don't even have a medical card so its 55 every time i need to see my Dr.
    and along with all that I was in a car crash in sept which has kicked my condition into overdrive. not a day goes by where i dont have an ulcer free mouth.

this country and the monkeys that run it suck!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 martigk

Hi all, have been reading your posts, with regasrd to secondary benefits like the household package - I think you should apply for Invalidity Pensions especially if you are having periods of ill health that can last months or longer. With this benefit you can work up to 19.5 hours and still claim the benefit and secondary benifits, it also might help with medical card applications as it is recognised that the Government has backed up your claim of ill health. As for dietary problems, there are HSE Allowances for dietary problems so it maight be worthwhile looking at the HSE site.

Will now give a little bit of interesting information for people who have disabilities / mobility issues - there are HSE Allowances to help you keep & run a car, The Mobility Allowance is a cash payment paid monthly to people with problems walking who would benefit from getting out of their house. Then there is the Primary Medical Certificate which gives the disabled driver or passenger of a vehicle the VAT & VRT back of the vehicle, you also are entitled to free road tax & the duty from 2,000 litres of petrol/diesel per year. there is a medical however it is a very basic one carried out in the local health centre and if you get the Primary Medical Certificate you will also be able to get the disabled parking badge & free tolls;

Good luck with your applications

Well, just learnt that my first appeal has been turned down, so now it's onto the second appeal which can take anything up to another year to complete :eek:

B*gger it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ahern.em20

Hi All,

I applied for Disability Allowance back in October of 2011 and I'm still waiting..... I was sent the 'Glamorous', yet ****ty looking photocopied LETTER from the Social Welfare Office 6 months later stating I was not 'Eligible' for it but, that I could Appeal (within 21 days) - which I did. Got another ****ty letter from them about a month later saying "we'll get back to you". I'm not eligible for money from Community Welfare Officer cause I'm co-habiting and I have a mortgage. We have bills to pay every week and month. We are scraping by..... My illness is getting worse by the day.

There are so many people that have applied for this allowance and are in the same boat as myself. They are scrimping by. Money is so tight. They are in arrears on bills. All luxuries have to be cut out completely. Each time I call for an update to the Social Welfare Office In Longford all I get is "I'm sorry but, there is a 'Back Log' - we don't don't know how long you will be waiting for an answer". I could be turned down and apparently you can't appeal again.... you can only appeal once. I have gone to Fine Gael, Labour & Fianna Fail TD's for help but to no avail.

Basically..... It's gonna be a Never Ending Wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ahern.em20

Hi ya,

I applied for Disability Allowance back in October of 2011 and I'm still waiting..... I was sent the 'Glamorous', yet ****ty looking photocopied LETTER from the Social Welfare Office 6 months later stating I was not 'Eligible' for it but, that I could Appeal (within 21 days) - which I did. Got another ****ty letter from them about a month later saying "we'll get back to you". I'm not eligible for money from Community Welfare Officer cause I'm co-habiting and I have a mortgage. We have bills to pay every week and month. We are scraping by..... My illness is getting worse by the day.

There are so many people that have applied for this allowance and are in the same boat as myself. They are scrimping by. Money is so tight. They are in arrears on bills. All luxuries have to be cut out completely. Each time I call for an update to the Social Welfare Office In Longford all I get is "I'm sorry but, there is a 'Back Log' - we don't don't know how long you will be waiting for an answer". I could be turned down and apparently you can't appeal again.... you can only appeal once. I have gone to Fine Gael, Labour & Fianna Fail TD's for help but to no avail.

Hopefully things will change.......................

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭livemusic4life

Hey Lost and alone. I can't believe just how similar our cases are. I had a fall in the ice in 2010 and did a heck of a lot of damage to my back and hip, resulting in degenerating discs, trapped nerves, constant severe back and leg pain and incontinence. I went back to work after 7 months off under the exemption scheme (I was on Occupational injuries first, then illness benefit, and then my stamps ran out) I was working 10 hours a week on the exemption, but 2 months in i suffered a big flare up and had to quit. I couldn't even sit down, never mind work. i've been out of work since. Anyway my illness benefit ran out in may and i applied for DA the second the forms arrived at the end of march. I've already been turned down twice because of my age (30) despite specialists letters saying that this is going to be a serious on going issue. I was given a tip off the record to apply for an oral review (so that you actually get seen by someone) Its now been 6 months since i applied, and apparently a 16 month wait for a decision on appeal. I'm getting 125 a week in SWA and i tell you, i'm struggling. I've also just been awarded 35% disabled throught disablement benefit. And when i receive that they will cut my SWA accordingly........ Tough times ahead i'm afraid.

• Advertisement

How is everyone getting on with their applications for Disability Allowance. I am still waiting. The last time I wrote I had just received a letter refusing my appeal. I had applied in June 2011, been refused in November 2011, appealed and been refused again in March 2012. I then appealed to the Independent Appeals office as stated on the letter of refusal. I got updated reports from my psychiatrist and my GP. I sent copies of my scan reports outlining the degenerative disease in my back and neck and the report from my cardiologist with regard to my coronary artery disease. I also informed them that I was attending C.B.T. on a weekly basis. I sent all previous letters and reports. I got back a letter telling me there was a back log and I would be hearing from them again at a later date. It's now September and I have heard nothing. Strange thing happened in the meantime. Don't know if it will be significant if my final appeal is turned down. You see I was told by the Social Welfare office to continue sending in Doctor's Certs even though I was not getting a payment from them. (I am still on S.W.A. from my community welfare officer) Because I was sending in certs I was notified that I had to go for a medical assessment. I rang them and told them I had applied for Disability Allowance and was not getting a payment on the certs I was sending in but they told me to go for the assessment as my supplementary welfare allowance may be stopped if I did n't. I went for the assessment and after looking at my reports and letters from doctors and examining me the Doctor doing the assessment told me that as far as he was concerned I was still unfit for work. So a Doctor working for the Department of Social Protection who met with me and examined me considered I was still unfit for work but a Doctor working for the Department who deals with Disability Allowance who never examined me but read the same reports considered me Fit for Work. Strange don't you think. Sorry for being so long winded but it seems a strange system to me. I'm still so frustrated at being made to feel that I am looking for something I'm not entitled to and in some way trying to scam the system. Having worked for over 30 years it's a right kick in the teeth to be made to feel like a beggar.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 BoySnowie

Applied in June this year. Heard nothing. Called Longford to see what the story is. They said that they are working on applications made in May 2012. Give us 6 weeks, they said - there is a big backlog and not enough staff (!)

Only if everything's centralised and computerised, then we won't have this blotted bureaucracy - it is a real disgrace :-(

BoySnowie wrote: »
    Applied in June this year. Heard nothing. Called Longford to see what the story is. They said that they are working on applications made in May 2012. Give us 6 weeks, they said - there is a big backlog and not enough staff (!)

Only if everything's centralised and computerised, then we won't have this blotted bureaucracy - it is a real disgrace :-(

I hope that you have your medical letters to say the magic words "will not be fit for work for at least 12 months" otherwise you will be automatically refused. I should know. I've been turned down 4 times (applied march) and i have just been successful as i got a dumbed down letter from my pain specialist with those magic words on it. It seems the more information you give the worse off you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭flutered

i was on disability benifit some years ago, the medical examiner stated that i was fit for work, they then advised me to go to the social welfare office and sign on, i went to sign on, but due to the condition that i was in they refused to have me on their books, i was advised to go back to my doctor and send in the certs again, but to make sure that i broke my claim by not sending in a cert for one week, that way i was a new claiment, perhaps this may be of benifit to some one, if only for the laugh.

Hi Folks,
    Still waiting patiently. As explained in previous messages I applied for Disability in June 2011 when my illness benefit entitlement ran out. Was refused, appealed, was refused again and then appealed to the independent appeals board. In january 2013 I received a letter to say my appeal was allowed. I had not been called for a medical examination by the independent appeals board, they allowed my appeal on the same reports and scans that I had sent in with my initial applications and appeals. I waited patiently until March and rang the Disability Section to be told they had received notice that my appeal was allowed but they had not reached it yet. I rang again at the beginning of May and they told me they were working on Decembers allowed appeals. I rang again the other day and they told me a letter is going out to me within the next few days looking for information and a form to be filled in so they can now means test me. When I initially applied in June 2011 I sent them all that documentation and I checked at the time and was within the means allowed. I need n't tell you the savings I had then are well spent so I now have to go and get six months bank statements again. I asked how long would it be before I got my payment once I send back all the information they want but they couldn't tell me. So 24 months down the road from initial application, 5 months after having my appeal allowed, I am still waiting. The requirement for Disability Allowance is an illness that is likely to last 12 months yet 24 months later I have still not received payment. Odd system. The mental anguish this has caused is a disability in itself. You have to wonder is that the idea. Is the Department hoping that we will get so stressed about the whole process that we will just leave them alone and give up. Good money saving measure for their budgets. Maybe if they speeded up the process and helped people when they needed it, and gave them what they are entitled to and supported them when they weren't fit for work, their illnesses wouldn't be compounded and made worse with the anxiety of being made to feel like beggars for looking for their entitledments and the stress of worrying about how the next bill was going to get paid, just maybe, some of us would be able to get back to work quicker. Having worked all my life and paid my dues I wonder what it was all for. I know I'm not the only one in this position. I didn't choose to have the illnesses I have and after paying into the system for over 30 years I suppose I expected more. How naive am I. I know I'm waffling now so I'll sign off. I'll let you know if I ever do get my payment.

Hi Folks,
    Still waiting patiently. As explained in previous messages I applied for Disability in June 2011 when my illness benefit entitlement ran out. Was refused, appealed, was refused again and then appealed to the independent appeals board. In january 2013 I received a letter to say my appeal was allowed. I had not been called for a medical examination by the independent appeals board, they allowed my appeal on the same reports and scans that I had sent in with my initial applications and appeals. I waited patiently until March and rang the Disability Section to be told they had received notice that my appeal was allowed but they had not reached it yet. I rang again at the beginning of May and they told me they were working on Decembers allowed appeals. I rang again the other day and they told me a letter is going out to me within the next few days looking for information and a form to be filled in so they can now means test me. When I initially applied in June 2011 I sent them all that documentation and I checked at the time and was within the means allowed. I need n't tell you the savings I had then are well spent so I now have to go and get six months bank statements again. I asked how long would it be before I got my payment once I send back all the information they want but they couldn't tell me. So 24 months down the road from initial application, 5 months after having my appeal allowed, I am still waiting. The requirement for Disability Allowance is an illness that is likely to last 12 months yet 24 months later I have still not received payment. Odd system. The mental anguish this has caused is a disability in itself. You have to wonder is that the idea. Is the Department hoping that we will get so stressed about the whole process that we will just leave them alone and give up. Good money saving measure for their budgets. Maybe if they speeded up the process and helped people when they needed it, and gave them what they are entitled to and supported them when they weren't fit for work, their illnesses wouldn't be compounded and made worse with the anxiety of being made to feel like beggars for looking for their entitledments and the stress of worrying about how the next bill was going to get paid, just maybe, some of us would be able to get back to work quicker. Having worked all my life and paid my dues I wonder what it was all for. I know I'm not the only one in this position. I didn't choose to have the illnesses I have and after paying into the system for over 30 years I suppose I expected more. How naive am I. I know I'm waffling now so I'll sign off. I'll let you know if I ever do get my payment.

If i were you i'd write an old letter to the ombudsman

Here is the website

https://www.ombudsman.gov.ie/en/

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Jasssss

Hi, does anyone know what the wait is at the moment for new applications and do they send you anything to say that they received your application.Tks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭flutered

Jasssss wrote: »
    Hi, does anyone know what the wait is at the moment for new applications and do they send you anything to say that they received your application.Tks

yeah it goes like this, live hoss and you will see grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Jasssss

Yeah, your obviously smoking the bleeding stuff.

• Advertisement

Jasssss wrote: »

apparently 15 weeks or something but most people are automatically refused first, they wait til you appeal. Make sure when you appeal that you ask for an assessment in person.

Advertisement