Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

blood type?

• 01-07-2009 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭

this was the most suiyable forum i could see, move if it doesnt suit.

what does ''O RhD positive'' mean?

is it common etc..

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,404 ✭✭✭✭Alun

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_type

O+ is one of the most common types along with A+, although that can depend a bit on the country you're talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

moved from mens health to the doctors lounge :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Right, going from LC biology:

Blood types are usually catagorized going by the ABO blood groupings, and Rhesus factor groupings.

The ABO blood groups are

A - 30% of population in Ireland
    B - 11% of population in Ireland
    AB - 3% of population in Ireland
    O - 56% of population in Ireland

The Rhesus 'factor' or system, goes by the if the RhD antigen is present or not on the blood cells. If it is present, it's RhD positive, if it's missing, it's RhD negative. Being RhD positive or negative doesn't effect the individual at all, it's just another way used to classify blood types for transfusions to ensure things don't go wrong.

So, O RhD positive means that you fall into the "O" blood group, and have the RhD antigen (blood type more commonly called O+ or O positive)

O+ is the most common blood type in Ireland with almost 50% of the population having the blood type.

Hope that helps clear things up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

thanks all

so my blood is most likely not going to be used as supply and how common it is is so high

--
    this boards.ie - i am talking about ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭CJTobin

So my blood is most likely not going to be used as supply and how common it is is so high.

If I'm reading that right, it's exactly the opposite case, actually.

Y'see, type O blood does not have any A or B antigens, and therefore won't be detected as a foreign object when it enters another person's body. This makes it highly suitable for donations, especially when a person's blood group is unknown and a transfusion is needed quickly.

Aside from O- (the universal donor), O+ is perhaps the most sought after blood group by blood banks/hospitals.

• Advertisement

cool

but it has the highest supply level and 47% of the country has it

anyway - ill be giving blood again in 2 and 1/2 months as it is worth it on the off chance it saves or helps someone

as it is less than an hour out of my day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

cool

but it has the highest supply level and 47% of the country has it

anyway - ill be giving blood again in 2 and 1/2 months as it is worth it on the off chance it saves or helps someone

as it is less than an hour out of my day
    Having the highest supply means it also has the highest demand for operations.

O- is special because it can be given to anyone - so if someone is bleeding out, then you give O- until blood is cross matched.

There are other antigens too which are minor antigens and only really apply if someone has had a lot of blood transfusions - giving the wrong minor antigen causes a minor transfusion reaction unlike a violent reaction if the wrong blood group is given. These have funky names like kell, duffy, lutheran, indian etc....

Interestingly O+ can be given to any person who is A+, B+, AB+ with only the risk of a minor reaction - but this is not ideal. AB is called the universal recipient (O groups have no antigens present to react with the host antibodies - but the have the full cohort of antibodies. AB has all the antigens but no antibodies. This means that although O- blood DOES contain some antibodies - they are rapidly diluted out in the body of the recipient and don't cause any real problem). HOWEVER the opposite is the case regarding plasma as it is all antibodies and no antigens.

cool thanks

gavent a breeze what you just said

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

DONATE BLOOD!

;)

So many people are excluded from doing so and your contribution will help someone live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Which percentage of the populatoin is 0 Negative?

I have this blood type and am overdue to donate (will be doing this soon).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

This might be a stupid question but how do you find out your blood type? when getting a blood test at doctors/hospital/donating?

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Bucklesman

As mentioned above O RhD positive is the most common blood type in the country. My mother worked in the Blood Bank and when I donated a pint of my own fine, healthy O positive for the first time last Easter she told me it was almost guaranteed to be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,404 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Which percentage of the population is 0 Negative?

There's a table on the wiki page I reference above, with an entry for Ireland. No idea how accurate it is though.

On a connected note when I donated blood in the Netherlands, they did it all on an on-demand basis, which meant that you got called up to donate when they needed to replenish their stocks of your blood group rather than just going every 3 months like here. I (O+) only seemed to get called up on average once every 9 months or so, whereas my wife (O-) got called up every 6 months, sometimes more frequently. I'm excluded now unfortunately, in case I give you all Mad Cow Disease :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

This might be a stupid question but how do you find out your blood type? when getting a blood test at doctors/hospital/donating?

I asked the nice lady who takes my blood samples for my HB1Ac if she knew what blood type I was, and she said that they only check when asked by a doctor. I know in the states you can get self-testing kits, but have never seen them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

What's the deal with Rh negative women and pregnancy? I'm hazy on the details, is it not an issue for the first pregnancy - only for subsequent ones?

Also, how much of a 'pregnancy' counts as a 'first pregnancy'? I've heard that sometimes what a woman might just think of as a late period could be a conception that didn't continue for whatever reason - is this a long enough time to make a difference for the Rh negative thingy? (excuse the use of technical terms there!)

And...even if it's only the subsequent pregnancy that's an issue do medical ppl monitor all Rh negative pregnant patients as if it was a subsequent pregnancy, given for whatever reason (concealing a previous pregnancy/miscarriage/abortion) the patient doesn't mention being pregnant before?

Always been curious about how much trust a medical person puts in what patients report in these situations as it's potential such an emotive mindfield - ie current partner not being aware of stuff from the woman's past.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

I found out when I started donating a few years back. I'm A-. Shall be donating again this coming week - they totally spam me with texts though! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Which percentage of the populatoin is 0 Negative?

Just want to update that I have donated a pint of my very valuable 0- blood. Iron level at a healthy 13.7 (female). Hurt more this time for some reason.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

cuckoo wrote: »
    What's the deal with Rh negative women and pregnancy? I'm hazy on the details, is it not an issue for the first pregnancy - only for subsequent ones?

Also, how much of a 'pregnancy' counts as a 'first pregnancy'? I've heard that sometimes what a woman might just think of as a late period could be a conception that didn't continue for whatever reason - is this a long enough time to make a difference for the Rh negative thingy? (excuse the use of technical terms there!)

And...even if it's only the subsequent pregnancy that's an issue do medical ppl monitor all Rh negative pregnant patients as if it was a subsequent pregnancy, given for whatever reason (concealing a previous pregnancy/miscarriage/abortion) the patient doesn't mention being pregnant before?

Always been curious about how much trust a medical person puts in what patients report in these situations as it's potential such an emotive mindfield - ie current partner not being aware of stuff from the woman's past.

Its all going back to your antibody/antigen thing.

Antigens are found on the surface of the blood cell (and most other cells), antibodys bind to antigens and cause the immune system to fire up and remove the cell w/ that antigen. If you carry the antigen normally on your cells, you wont create antibody against them (unless you have a problem like an autoimmune disease).

Rh antibody is only formed after encountering Rh antigen (ie by incorrect transfusion or by encountering blood from a baby during birth/late miscarraige). So the first encounter, there wont be time to make antibody, but the second you'll make a lot more (have a high titre). likewise subsequent ones get a stronger and stronger reaction. So a rh neg woman having a rh pos baby runs this risk.

Ante natal testing involves grouping the mother. If the mother is neg, they'll group the father (if they can). They'll also do measure the level of antibody if they suspect the woman might have a significant titre.
    At birth, they'll check the babie's blood group, check the mother's blood for baby cells that have gotten into the mother circulation. And where the baby is pos and the mother neg, the mother will receive a dose of anti-D, if there's a lot fo baby cells escaped into the mother, they'll receive an even higher dose of anti-d. The anti d will react w/ any rh pos cells in the mothers circulation w/o hte mother needing to make her own antibody, and so the reaction will stay low for the next baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 static9876

Tree wrote: »
    Its all going back to your antibody/antigen thing.

Antigens are found on the surface of the blood cell (and most other cells), antibodys bind to antigens and cause the immune system to fire up and remove the cell w/ that antigen. If you carry the antigen normally on your cells, you wont create antibody against them (unless you have a problem like an autoimmune disease).

Rh antibody is only formed after encountering Rh antigen (ie by incorrect transfusion or by encountering blood from a baby during birth/late miscarraige). So the first encounter, there wont be time to make antibody, but the second you'll make a lot more (have a high titre). likewise subsequent ones get a stronger and stronger reaction. So a rh neg woman having a rh pos baby runs this risk.

Ante natal testing involves grouping the mother. If the mother is neg, they'll group the father (if they can). They'll also do measure the level of antibody if they suspect the woman might have a significant titre.
    At birth, they'll check the babie's blood group, check the mother's blood for baby cells that have gotten into the mother circulation. And where the baby is pos and the mother neg, the mother will receive a dose of anti-D, if there's a lot fo baby cells escaped into the mother, they'll receive an even higher dose of anti-d. The anti d will react w/ any rh pos cells in the mothers circulation w/o hte mother needing to make her own antibody, and so the reaction will stay low for the next baby.

Bringing up and old thread here. Trying to find information online but can't seem to get it on one part. As said above, if the woman is negative and the baby is positive (i presume that the father has to be Rh positive??) this could cause problems at second birth. What if the mother is positive and the father is negative? Or the mother positive and the baby negative? Does this cause problems. e.g. mother B positive and father A negative.

Also, i'm not sure of my blood type, but my mother is A- and not sure what my father is. We know that my mother had to get an injection after her first birth to prevent her second child being a "blue baby." Does this mean that the first baby was positive? Therefore chances are I am positive?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

If the mother is positive it doesnt matter, because if the baby is negative there's nothing to produce antibodies against, and if the baby is postiive they're the same antigens as the mother so again, no need ot produce antibodies.

If your mother is neg and received the anti-D injection, then your father is likely to be positive. Depending on your fathers genetics (D/D or D/-) you could be D/- or -/-, so it's kinda 50:50 (yay for mendelian inheritance).

If you're elegible to donate a pint of blood, then that's a feel good way to confirm your blood group. Otherwise, if you do become pregnant (and dont become pregnant to just get grouped, really consider the whole pregnancy/progeny thing fully), you will be grouped as part of one of the early checkups, so they can plan for whether you would need to be immunised against the D-factor (for this reason the father of your baby would also get grouped if you turned out ot be a negative).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 static9876

If your mother is neg and received the anti-D injection, then your father is likely to be positive. Depending on your fathers genetics (D/D or D/-) you could be D/- or -/-, so it's kinda 50:50 (yay for mendelian inheritance).
    Otherwise, if you do become pregnant (and dont become pregnant to just get grouped, really consider the whole pregnancy/progeny thing fully),

Thanks for the quick response Tree.

I'm a guy by the way so not planning on becoming pregnant ;)

So for instance if i was to turn out to be A- and if i had a girlfriend who was B+, then there is no problems. Or is there any conflicts with B+ for instance?

Also on the first quote, can you explain what the D/- or -/- are? I could be positive or negative right?

So if you're A- and your gf is B+, she wont have to get anti-D injections. If she's neg, then they'll test you as well to be sure you're not pos (if she's pregnant).

The gene for Rhesus D (the + in your blood group) is something you either have (D) or you dont have (-), and as you have two sets of chromosomes, you can have D/D, D/- or -/-. As we know your mammy is neg, you can't be D/D (you'd have inherited one half of your mammy's -/-). And the D gene is dominant (so if you have it, you're pos, whether you have one or two copies), so if you were D/- you'd be pos anyway.

ABO are another blood group independant of the Rhesus D group. But they're the most common groups that react in transfusions, so they're the first ones listed. Other groups become important for blood transfusions, but they tend to be less reactive (mostly, but for now, we'll pretend they're less important sure).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

So if you're A- and your gf is B+, she wont have to get anti-D injections. If she's neg, then they'll test you as well to be sure you're not pos (if she's pregnant).

As a woman who's O- I can say that only part of this is true. When I got preg each time they put special markings on my file to highlight that fact, but they never asked or tested my husband to see if there was a chance of him being positive. Never came up even as an issue. Since I noticed these markings in the file I took it upon myself to educate myself what it meant - no one even discussed it with me.

After each birth they suggested I get the anti-D, and I did each time. If they tested my children to determine their blood group they certainly didn't tell me, and taking the anti-D was always optional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

I don't believe they do this anymore as it's quite possible that the man they believe to be the father may not be the real father at all.
    I think any woman who is Rh -ve gets anti D prophylaxis regardless of their partners status.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

tbh wrote: »
    I asked the nice lady who takes my blood samples for my HB1Ac if she knew what blood type I was, and she said that they only check when asked by a doctor. I know in the states you can get self-testing kits, but have never seen them here.

Its an extra test that would cost extra money.

For anyone wondering can they give blood in Ireland here is a screening questionairre.
    http://www.giveblood.ie/Become_a_Donor/Give_Blood/Can_I_Give_Blood/

I don't believe they do this anymore as it's quite possible that the man they believe to be the father may not be the real father at all.
    I think any woman who is Rh -ve gets anti D prophylaxis regardless of their partners status.

if your GIRLFRIEND is Rh+ it doesnt matter, as she wont be producing antibodies against a postive or negative baby.

Re testing of partners, I received a number of these sorts of samples during my internship in a transfusion lab, so it definitely happens. Could depend on the consultant requesting them, as the lab are happy to process them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

if your GIRLFRIEND is Rh+ it doesnt matter, as she wont be producing antibodies against a postive or negative baby.

:confused: I know that. I don't think I stated otherwise in my previous post. At least I hope I didn't.
    Re testing of partners, I received a number of these sorts of samples during my internship in a transfusion lab, so it definitely happens. Could depend on the consultant requesting them, as the lab are happy to process them.

Interesting. How long ago was your Internship? One of the Profs in the Coombe told us that rhesus typing was commonly performed on the partner if the mother was Rh -ve, but nowadays it's pretty useless as it's not going to direct your management (i.e Rh -ve mums still get prophylactic anti D even if partner is Rh -ve ).
    Protocol may differ from hospital to hospital though. I'm not sure about other maternity hospitals.

This was in CUH back in 2006 (before the mat opened on-site, but they were still doing grouping for ante-natal stuff). It was also standard protocol to check the baby blood (think it might ahve been cord blood) for grouping immediately too, and also to check maternal blood for the amount of feto-maternal haemorrage (to determine if /additional/ anti-D needed to be administered).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Lukens

Hi there! Does anyone know where i can get my GROUP BLOOD TYPE in Dublin? I just want to make a test to find out what type is my blood group! Thank you everybody!

Advertisement