Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

One Way System from Blackthorn Drive to Dundrum

Options
  • 02-10-2007 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Over the weekend I heard (and saw the signs) that the road from Blackthorn Drive to Dundrum i.e. the road past the Ballally estates, is going to be one way outbound from the 8th October (next Monday) for approx 12 months.

http://www.dlrcoco.ie/

I live in Stepaside and work in Clonskeagh and have found this road to be the quickest to get to work. And when I say quick, I mean usually less than an hour! I just want to know people's views on it and what alternative routes they would take besides the one listed on the DLRCOCO site. I know I can take the bus etc, but where I live the only bus routes are the 44, which won't make any difference cause I will still be sitting in the same traffic, or the 118 / 46B which go to the Stillorgan Dual Carriageway to Donnybrook. Where this is fine, sometimes I need the car after work for going to meet friends, visits to the gym etc.

In a place as growing as Sandyford / Stepaside is, there is already a shocking lack of public transport for the residents, hence the reason for my dependence on my car to get to work. Since the schools have gone back, the roads are busier than ever trying to get anywhere in the morning no matter what time you leave your house at. Now with this road one way and the Glenamuck road closed, it seems the council are trying to block us in!!

I'm just interested to see what people think of it, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭robfitz

The road is called Sandyford Road, with the section of road from Wycham Way to Blackthorn Drive being made oneway. I live in Sandyford and I work in Terenure, so it'll effect my journey to work, though because I cycle I might be able to cut through some of the local estate roads.

Parts of the road are badly in need of major repair. I would say that this was mostly caused by the heavy traffic which use to use the road before the opening of the south sections of the M50. The bit I'm not sure about is why the project will take so long, a year is a bit mad.
    Starmix wrote:
    In a place as growing as Sandyford / Stepaside is, there is already a shocking lack of public transport for the residents, hence the reason for my dependence on my car to get to work.

I imagine you might have know that before you moved there?

Starmix would you cycle? The route to Clonskeagh is downhill but the return route would have a fair climb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Starmix

I don't understand why it's a year either, it seems quite long.
    robfitz wrote:

I imagine you might have know that before you moved there?

Starmix would you cycle? The route to Clonskeagh is downhill but the return route would have a fair climb.

I have lived in the area for 5 years and the only thing that has changed in relation to the public transport is the luas, which is great in it's own right and I am looking forward to the extension opening.

I have thought about cycling - going to work would be fine, but as you said, it's a bit of a climb coming home - it might just about finish me off!!

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭robfitz

Some more info about the Sandyford Road Infrastructural Scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Starmix wrote:
    I have thought about cycling - going to work would be fine, but as you said, it's a bit of a climb coming home - it might just about finish me off!!
    Initially it could be tough but you'd quickly get used to it. The body is great at adapting to new challenges. Also, choosing the right gears will make the climbs easier.
    Having said that, winter/spring are can be demoralising times to start cycling.

Advertisement