Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Driving routes from Tallaght to city centre

Options
  • 26-09-2007 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭

See: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055156346

Capital D (RTE1, 7pm, Thursdays) is doing another commute race. Last time it was cyclist, car driver and bus passenger racing from Blanchardstown village to Dame Street. The cyclist got there in 21 mins with the bus passenger arriving in 52mins and the car driver in 55.

This time they are 'racing' from Tallaght (presumably The Square) to city centre, but with a bit of a twist - a bus passenger will cycle, a motorcyclist will take the Luas and a cyclist will drive.

On behalf of whatever poor cyclist volunteers, I'm asking for suggestions of good routes for the journey.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

For a cyclist I'd stay away from the obvious greenhills road way. It would be tretcherous for a cyclist, peticularly in a race situation.

From the square I recon a good way would be to use the tallaght by-pass beyond tempelogue towards terenure and straight down into town.

my 2c!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,243 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Wisesmurf wrote:
    From the square I recon a good way would be to use the tallaght by-pass beyond tempelogue towards terenure and straight down into town.
    I think I'd agree. Now all we need to do is pass Thomas Pedoussaut or RobFitz off as a bus passenger. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

yep me three, good amount of cycle lanes and mostly flat/downhill:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Yeah Greenhills is a nightmare, I always take this way and it never lets me down in my car, could be easily done by bicycle.

Follow the bypass down to the spawell, turn left, head down wellington lane, wellington road, whithall road at the cross roads of Kimmage road west turn left then right down Lorcan O toole park. Down Stanaway road and turn left down Sundrive road. Turn left for Clogher road and over the canal and left down Sth Circular road. Turn left at the junction with harolds cross road Down to christchurch

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭trellheim

Agree to Rathmines you will speed in. Then do canal->camden st->george's st temple bar cross at the new bridge north quays O'Connell St GPO .

Going via westmoreland or christchurch leaves slower lights and more traffic.

The only land based thing that can beat the bike in town is a faster bike.

Avoid Greenhills rd since it involves the Walkinstown Roundabout and it will slow you down and it has too many hills. The only hill on the preferred route is the rise at the M50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭robfitz

Victor wrote:
    I think I'd agree. Now all we need to do is pass Thomas Pedoussaut or RobFitz off as a bus passenger. :)

What's a bus?

Last year the Tallaght bound trip following the N81 took me 38 mins. It's also 12km which might be a bit excessive for a non-regular cyclist.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,243 ✭✭✭✭Victor

robfitz wrote:
    What's a bus?
    Large mechanically propelled passenger vehicle that obstructs alledged cycle lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

robfitz wrote:
    What's a bus?

A large mechanically propelled vehicle that, while benefitting from bus lanes on part of its route, is consistently held up at junctions and intersections due to hopeless planning by County Councils and therefore is only of marginal benefit over small privately owned mechanically propelled vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

robfitz wrote:
    What's a bus?
    A large mechanically propelled vehicle that is most often found with others of its kind (and route number) sitting idle at termini, or travelling in convoy (perhaps for protection against annoyed passengers who've often been waiting fair longer than timetabled) in predominantly empty bus lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Are any motorists interested in being on the programme? No cyclists have volunteered to drive the route (Tallaght to city centre) but the production company (ProMedia TV) would consider using motorist to drive.

If you would like to be involved please contact Siobhan on 01-662-2500.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Sean02

What about N81 to Templeogue Bridge, Left to KCR, Harrolds Cross, Clanbrassil St. Here you have two options, if you want to take the K.O.M. jersey as well you will climb Patrick St and Right at Christchurch. The best route is get on outside lane approaching New St. junction, Kevin St, Bishop St, Aungier St, Georges st, Dame St. Cyclist approx 30 mins car off peak 37 mins. Mostly flat and slightly downhill. Not sure if the cycle lane across M50 will cause delay against cycling on bus lane. Good luck to the cyclist whichever route he /she takes.

Advertisement