Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

water filter

• 08-05-2012 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭

Hi I am going to harvest rain water from the gutters in my house into a 1000 litre tank. I then intend to pump it up to my attic to use in my toilets and showers. Could someone please advise me on how I can filter this water so it wont damage my showers or toilets :confused: .

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

johnnyb6 wrote: »
    Hi I am going to harvest rain water from the gutters in my house into a 1000 litre tank. I then intend to pump it up to my attic to use in my toilets and showers. Could someone please advise me on how I can filter this water so it wont damage my showers or toilets :confused: .

Is it "safe" to use rainwater for showering/bathing though??

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭johnnyb6

Hi Paddy 147 , yes I agree with you that its safe to use rain water for showers etc. but when it comes from gutters , its dirty with pieces of dirt in it and this dirt will clog up any system it goes through.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

johnnyb6 wrote: »
    Hi Paddy 147 , yes I agree with you that its safe to use rain water for showers etc. but when it comes from gutters , its dirty with pieces of dirt in it and this dirt will clog up any system it goes through.

Thats what Im asking you...is it safe to use rainwater for showering/bathing in???

Surely apart from a mechanical filter (for catching dirt and debris) rainwater would have to be run through at least a UV Sterilization process to make it safe to shower/bath in,with regards hygene and human contraction of any diseases??

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭browner85

hi it is defo not safe to use it for showering, only for flushing toilets!! although it could be ran through an ultra violet light to kill bacteria. not 100% if such a system is available yet , there are full rain water collector systems for sale for about €1500.

Hi Browner85 , thanks for the advice, it not as easy a job as i taught.

• Advertisement

Hi Paddy147, sorry for the misunderstanding and thanks alot for the advice. I will have to calculate the real total cost of this adventure and see is it viable. Thanks alot

Advertisement