Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leaving car in gear when parking?

• 01-10-2007 5:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone explain why people do this? Reading the ROTR book again today and it suggests it also.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Coincidentally I was wondering the same thing

Apparently, in older cars during frost/snow the gears could seize when left in neutral, but nowadays I think it has no purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Stops the car from rolling away if it's parked on a slope and the handbrake isn't the best (or isn't applied correctly).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

It stops the car moving if the parking brake fails.

If the car is parked facing downhill leave the car in reverse gear.
    If the car is parked facing uphill or on level ground leave thr car in first gear.

An additional safety measure when parking on hills is to turn the steering wheel so that the front wheels are heading towards the kerb in the likely direction of travel should the car move. If it does move, the wheels will nudge into the kerb immediately and hopefully stop the car before it gains enough momentum to do damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

ciaranfo wrote:
    Can anyone explain why people do this? Reading the ROTR book again today and it suggests it also.

Thanks

Hey Ciaran

Can you tell me what page that is on? be very handy for settling a long time argument!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

I always leave my car in gear for the reason just mentioned by Johnmb. Although I've had a few near misses when I drive my mates car and the idiot just gets in and turns the key causing the car to lurch forward :eek:. Also, sometimes your handbrake can cease if left applied for a long time, so it's better to just leave it in gear with the handbrake disengaged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

the reason is because your handbrake mightnt be able to hold your car if on a slope.

Funny you should ask this because a programme on consumer affairs over here in Germany pointed out this issue last week, and a good example as to why you should do it.

A lad parked on a steep slope with handbrake only. Sometime afterwards the handbrake gave way and his car careered down the hill and was left as a write off after smashing into whatever was at the bottom of that hill!!!
    Best of all, he didnt get a penny of the insurance money (after taking it to court) because he was at fault for not parking the car in a way that would ensure it didnt roll down the hill, i.e. leave it in gear.

The insurance thing mightnt be relevant to ireland, but the fact that a handbrake mightnt hold your car on the hill might be a useful thing to take from my wee story!

EDIT: beaten to it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

neacy69 wrote:
    Hey Ciaran

Can you tell me what page that is on? be very handy for settling a long time argument!!
    p112 of the RSA ROTR that we got posted to the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

It seems I've been in the dark the whole time. I could say it was something I was never told but I guess I should have noticed it in the ROTR.

Bizzare it's never been mentioned in any driving lessons I've had or any tests I've encounted though.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Hagar wrote:
    An additional safety measure when parking on hills is to turn the steering wheel so that the front wheels are heading towards the kerb in the likely direction of travel should the car move.
    According to this, failure to "curb your wheels" when parking on a hill in San Francisco can result in a fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

In Germany they teach you to leave it in gear and leave the handbrake OFF! This is because in freezing weather (like what they get there in winter) the handbrake can freeze on and you won't be able to move come the morning!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

This whole thing was probobly more relevant on older cars which werent as reliable. I doubt its much help thesedays, but its a habit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Hagar wrote:
    An additional safety measure when parking on hills is to turn the steering wheel so that the front wheels are heading towards the kerb in the likely direction of travel should the car move. If it does move, the wheels will nudge into the kerb immediately and hopefully stop the car before it gains enough momentum to do damage.
    This is the recommended practice in hilly San Francisco. There are road signs on the hills directing drivers to kerb their wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,716 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Hagar wrote:
    It stops the car moving if the parking brake fails.

If the car is parked facing downhill leave the car in reverse gear.

would leaving it in first (or any forward gear) not stop it moving in either direction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

If you leave a car in a forward gear, facing down a hill, with no brakes, it will roll forward but be limited by the top speed that the gear will allow. Even first gear will allow a car to build up enough speed to do serious damage.

If the car is in reverse the gear box won't allow the car to go forwards and vice versa

Advertisement