Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leg room on Dublin Bus

• 07-06-2006 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭

I am 6 ft 2 and why do Dublin Bus make the seats so small. I got on one of the new 46a busses and what do I find: the back of the seat in front of me sticking in to my legs leaving me in a very uncomfortable position.

Does anyone else suffer from this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

yes

yours 5ft 10

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

legroom is a recurring problem with the VT, AD, AX classes as used on the 46A. your best bet is to pick routes that use RA and RV class buses (none out that direction except sometimes the 45). Much more comfy seats, less urinal-styling too. I particularly recommend the lower saloon seats behind the heater or centre door.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

6'4" here and I can only fit in the seat behind the stair upstairs or in the middle of seat at the back on both levels.
    Otherwise I'm sitting in a seat with my spreadeagled knees pushed against the seat in front.
    I have had people asking me if I could move over to which I have to give the response
    "I really, physically can't!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's the same on the new Dart carriages too. It seems a bit bizarre that while people are in general getting taller, legroom in public transport appears to be getting smaller. I'm only 5' 10" and a bit, not exactly tall, and even I find them uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Hoof Hearted

I'm 6' 3'' and this is another major reason why people resort to private car. If public transport is to be competitive at least give people basic comfort. My knees can get quite soar being pushed up tight against a hard plastic backing of the seats. An interim "cheap" solution would be to install soft padding behind the seat backs. I say cheap because I know expensive solutions like reducing the number of seats and spacing them farther apart will not be considered. It might be just enough to tilt the balance for me to use the bus and train instead of the car.Plus you don't want to be on the bus when I feel cramped in.... especially if Ize eats mee spinach the night before .... Think gas:o .... which first comes as a trickle and then gives my buttocks a tickle. Another reason you don't want to share the bus when I am on board, further undermining the case to use public transport. At least I don't cause anyone to suffocate when I'm in my own car as I can always open the window and add to the eclectic aroma of the Dublin air. My apologies to past victims. :D
    Hoof Hearted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,236 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Try to get (i) a front row seat (ii) a seat that faces other seats (iii) the seat at the wheelchair space, assuming it isn't needed.

Some buses have sideways facings seats.

Or stand!

Advertisement