Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Game of Thrones [HBO & Sky Atlantic] **Spoilers** (Read Warning Post #1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

he said so, he wants to see it. it's "The Wall". Capitalisation done on purpose. That kinda ****, a man just has to see once in his life.

sound,I'll obviously have to rewatch them when I havn't been drinkin all day! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

tumblr_lk6sayf35k1qauecro1_250_1303738859.gif

This is great :)

Great episode again, love the way the credits changed, Ilyn Payne looked nothing like what I'd imagined but whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭stesaurus

This is great :)

Great episode again, love the way the credits changed, Ilyn Payne looked nothing like what I'd imagined but whatever.

Yeah fully expected a 'Dolf Lundgren' type. He just doesn't come across as scary.

I'm also wondering why they don't seem to be explaining the significance and rareness of Valyrian steel? Have they even mentioned 'Ice' as it's name?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Second episode was excellent... I'm loving it.

Jon Snow and Tyrion are definitely the stand out characters for me.
    The Jon Snow story arc is particularly pulling me. I really felt bad for him when he said goodbye to Bran. Catelyn came across very harsh in that scene.
    Loving the Direwolves... I have a malamute myself which I'm 99.99% sure is the breed they are using to potray the Direwolves. (Not one man dogs at all though)

I really can't decide if I should continue watching at the pace of the series or go ahead and read the books! :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

s.welstead wrote: »
    Pixelburp I think you should be adding spoilers to your own post. Makes it fairly obvious by mentioning a character in that way. Wouldn't be hard to work out
    What? That he has a fate? not sure if that's sarcasm, but I think it's fair to say all the characters have a fate of one sort or another, but some forum users decided to spell out what happens Stark's character given he was the lead - or was the lead; episode 2 has left me confused as to who exactly the lead character is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

There is now an important note prefixing this thread - very first post!

Everyone please read it.. it's VERY important.

If you've feedback - please PM either myself, Mr E or Our Man in Havana.

Thanks guys and gals!

It's been excellent so far. Is there 5 books? If so are they planning 5 seasons?

\ninja edit

Papa Smut wrote: »
    It's been excellent so far. Is there 5 books? If so are they planning 5 seasons?t
    5th is coming out in June, the plan is for 7 to complete the saga.

Can only hope we get all the books turned into a series but the books start getting bigger so might require 2 series for some or maybe 16 or so eps instead of 10.

It's been renewed for a definite second season at least.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Anyway it's funny how people watch tv shows these days. I saw the kid open his eyes at the same time as the wolf was killed and thought that was a nice way to film it. A juxtaposition between a death and a return to life but of course I look here and see people speculating on possible weird connections. Hmm maybe so but I think people have been trained too well by the likes of Lost to look too deeply at some things when it might just be the director directing at the end of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

This weeks ep made me want to read the books and stop watching this even more, I know it;s 55 minutes long but it's just not giving me enough or moving fast enough for me. Time to sever all ties with this thread and stock pile the eps or read the book I think :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

On topicly: Really enjoyed the second episode, great to see the direwolves kicking off properly. Loved the way Summer hopped up on the bed after tearing yer mans throat out.

It says a lot about this show that it made me watch Sean Bean kill a puppy, and I'm still loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I spent the last 20 minutes going through this thread and deleting over 170 posts with waffle / unrelated chit-chat / bitching about spoilers / book spoilers etc.

I'm sorry if one of your valid posts was affected.. but I was left with no choice. This thread was a fecking trainwreck.

Be warned - we will be really cracking down on this thread. Abide by the rules set out in the OP and everything will be fine!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Awww, my morning post went bye-bye; no matter...
    Part 2: Not sure about the Lannisters to be honest & so far, they seem like the big negative in an otherwise excellent show. With the exception of Tyron, the Lannisters seem to be so utterly, irredeemably, evil. Pantomime evil in fact. In nearly all their scenes, they're sneering, snarling or just generally looking like they're up to something. If they had moustaches, they'd be twirled like crazy. You'd think by now the King - or someone - would be going "hang on a minute, these guys are a bit evil looking. Maybe we should keep an eye on them".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

pixelburp wrote: »
    You'd think by now the King - or someone - would be going "hang on a minute, these guys are a bit evil looking. Maybe we should keep an eye on them".

In fairness, when people do cotton on to what they're up to - like the previous hand of the king, or the brandon lad - their lifespan tends to shorten... Also, it's pretty clear that Ned is on to them too. As for the king, yeah, you'd think he'd be a bit more on the ball, but he's a bit of a feckless playboy - at least in the two episodes so far. The fact that their scheming hasn't been rumbled yet doesn't bother me anyway!

geeky wrote: »
    In fairness, when people do cotton on to what they're up to - like the previous hand of the king, or the brandon lad - their lifespan tends to shorten... Also, it's pretty clear that Ned is on to them too. As for the king, yeah, you'd think he'd be a bit more on the ball, but he's a bit of a feckless playboy - at least in the two episodes so far. The fact that their scheming hasn't been rumbled yet doesn't bother me anyway!
    Fair point, but it seems like the show is at pains to emphasise what a family of b*stards these people are through unsubtle direction. If their duplicity was behind closed doors it might wrack up the tension a bit more - if they perfectly charming and likeable on the outside perhaps - but they wear their evil so obviously on their sleeves, it's hard not to scream at the TV for someone, anyone to off these chumps before they really cause damage. I think it's just the son that's so hilariously OTT in the glowering-evil stakes, I can't take the rest seriously.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

they are the most or second most powerful family in all the kingdoms.. who the hell is going to walk up to them and say "Lolz you so corrupt, stop shagging each other"

I don't think it's so bad though. They clearly are snobs and part of the sneering is being up in the grim north and dealing with the more grounded Starks.

They'll be more at ease when back at King's Landing where everyone else will be at their sneering best.

Now for pantomine evil see Visery's. Loving the guy hamming him up, just steals each scene he's in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭Daith

Is Sansa actually Ned and Cat's daughter? She doesnt seem anything like them. Arya is brilliant though.

Agreed with everyone about the Dire wolves. Love how they come across as the kids protectors. Wonder what is in store for Sansa if her dog is dead.

That prince kid is one nasty piece of work. As is that queen.

Daith wrote: »
    Is Sansa actually Ned and Cat's daughter? She doesnt seem anything like them.

Yes she is. She's definitely going to divide opinions I think.

GF was crying at the end with poor Lady. Butcher Boy got a quick mention but she had to shield her eyes for the wolf. Funny how people react more for animals!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

This show is an orgasm turned into a TV series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭Daith

s.welstead wrote: »
    GF was crying at the end with poor Lady. Butcher Boy got a quick mention but she had to shield her eyes for the wolf. Funny how people react more for animals!

This was something the Simpsons writers said on DVD commentarty. They could have Homer strangle Bart, but the second "Santas Little Helper" was hurt they'ld get a flood of complaints!

I think it makes it even sadder because Lady had nothing to do with it. Hope Aryas wolf avenges her sister and kills that little prince. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I really liked the second episode. Its great to get the story moving. You can tell Ned is regretting moving down to Kings Landing with the King & The Lannisters.

Can anyone tell me if there was an opening scene before the credits? It felt like something was missing as I had to piece together (from the Jofferey & Tyrion scene) that Bran was in a coma.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I really liked the second episode. Its great to get the story moving. You can tell Ned is regretting moving down to Kings Landing with the King & The Lannisters.

Can anyone tell me if there was an opening scene before the credits? It felt like something was missing as I had to piece together (from the Jofferey & Tyrion scene) that Bran was in a coma.

No opening scene before the credits apart from a 'previously montage'. I believe the first mention of Bran is when they talk about him at the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Sesudra

Must say,am loving it!I'm a big fan of the books and feel like the series is doing it justice.I even like the Dothraki scenes!I really hope they get the chance to adapt all the books as time goes on

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

they are the most or second most powerful family in all the kingdoms.. who the hell is going to walk up to them and say "Lolz you so corrupt, stop shagging each other"
    Exactly. If they appear arrogant that's because they can be. They're not living in a democracy - it's a land whose throne was seized in bloody warfare. They can treat people like dirt because people wouldn't dare speak up against a family who can weild enough force to crush nearly any opposition.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Daith wrote: »
    Is Sansa actually Ned and Cat's daughter? She doesnt seem anything like them. Arya is brilliant though.

Agreed with everyone about the Dire wolves. Love how they come across as the kids protectors. Wonder what is in store for Sansa if her dog is dead.

That prince kid is one nasty piece of work. As is that queen.

In the book (detailing something that has already been gone through by the tv series)
    Catelyn has red hair as do all of the children except for Arya. Arya sometimes even wondered if she was really Cat's daughter because she got on with Snow a lot better and was so unlike the other children, especially Sansa.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

did the butcher boy die?

we saw him briefly being carried back on horseback by one of lannister's goons (loads of characters in this show, i can't keep up with all the different wards, knights, stewards, masters of arms etc etc)

it would be a bit harsh for them to have killed the kid, is there no legal system there or can they act with impunity and just murder a kid without trial, that is if he died of course

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

donfers wrote: »
    did the butcher boy die?

we saw him briefly being carried back on horseback by one of lannister's goons (loads of characters in this show, i can't keep up with all the different wards, knights, stewards, masters of arms etc etc)

it would be a bit harsh for them to have killed the kid, is there no legal system there or can they act with impunity and just murder a kid without trial, that is if he died of course

I assumed they just gave him a beating (even that was unneeded!) but I suppose it didn't really make it clear either way. But they probably would have just left him where ever they killed him if that was the case. And I doubt anyone questions the Kings actions or that of his goons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

He was killed by the Hound trodding over him with his horse. The Hound says that he tried to run, but didn't get far.

It could have been an accident though as he sped after the boy on horseback and the boy tripped or changed direction or something and the horse's hoof came on his head.

Also, running away when you are demanded by the King is an extremely serious offence, particularly when it involved a fight where the prince was badly wounded. You could say it's a bit like how police sometimes have the ability to say "freeze, or I'll fire" and can shoot people if they try to get away.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

in general, if it's left ambiguous they're dead.

Advertisement