Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The General Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    AFAIK the butter stops the oil from splattering and the oil stops the butter from burning!

Sounds like some marriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Sounds like some marriage.

I heard it on a cooking show aaaages ago, can't even remember who it was but it's become a habit of mine now to fry in half and half.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I heard it on a cooking show aaaages ago, can't even remember who it was but it's become a habit of mine now to fry in half and half.

Oh I wasn't disagreeing or anything. I literally meant it was like a marriage :)

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Oh I wasn't disagreeing or anything. I literally meant it was like a marriage :)

Oh I know!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

AFAIK the butter stops the oil from splattering and the oil stops the butter from burning!

I've heard something similar however it turns out its not true and the oil and butter mixed doesn't increase the burning temp. Here's a great link to read if you want to learn more about it http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/09/does-mixing-oil-and-butter-really-alter-the-smoke-point.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Bored_lad wrote: »
    I've heard something similar however it turns out its not true and the oil and butter mixed doesn't increase the burning temp. Here's a great link to read if you want to learn more about it http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/09/does-mixing-oil-and-butter-really-alter-the-smoke-point.html
    Best thing to do is just clarify some butter. Butter is used for taste, oil for heat. But clarified butter won't burn so easily and you get the taste benefit!

If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times. I bloody LOVE butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭tampopo

If I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times. I bloody LOVE butter.

But do you put it in coffee? Apparently it's a 'thing' nowadays.

tampopo wrote: »
    But do you put it in coffee? Apparently it's a 'thing' nowadays.

Only the yanks :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Butter and rum in espresso is truly a thing to behold.

On the meat resting - i cover with foil and a couple of towels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

I have bought a small joint of Bacon Eye Lion.... never cooked one before any suggestions on best way to do it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Zelda247 wrote: »
    I have bought a small joint of Bacon Eye Lion.... never cooked one before any suggestions on best way to do it?

CECIL!!! NOOOOOOO!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Hey challenge master, I wanna send you a PM, delete some messages. Couldn't post to your wall either, because it was invisible.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Work away ;)

On a different note... has anyone else noticed how salty the Knorr fish stock pots are? It's not like I'm expecting fish stock to not be somewhat salty, but this is taking the píss... I've started just using chicken stock (even when its being used in fish dishes) because the saltyness is overwhelming, particularly in a sauce after it's reduced.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Following on from the beansprouts conversation, I've got some green lentils sprouting in a jar. I soaked them overnight and this is the third day to rinse and drain them. The plan is to use them in salads.

30iyiox.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Following on from the beansprouts conversation, I've got some green lentils sprouting in a jar. I soaked them overnight and this is the third day to rinse and drain them. The plan is to use them in salads.

Oh, they do look good.
    Maybe I should start a few myself.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Had a mad craving for sushi last night. There's only 1 place in Naas that does it, and its not on the take away menu. I rang up anyway and asked them to stick it into 2 boxes for me. Happy days. Fabulous.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

dibkins wrote: »

I like his recipes but I find him hard to watch on TV.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I like his recipes but I find him hard to watch on TV.

Me too - I think he's a bit precious about it all. He makes a big thing out of taking mushrooms from a paper bag :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I did a big batch of roast veg today and absolutely laced it with paprika, cayenne pepper, cracked pepper and Cajun seasoning and now I can't eat it without scalding the mouth off myself :o doesn't help that I have barely any tolerance for heat :o any ideas how I can cool it down considering I've at least 3 portions left?! ? Preferably without adding a sauce! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,315 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I did a big batch of roast veg today and absolutely laced it with paprika, cayenne pepper, cracked pepper and Cajun seasoning and now I can't eat it without scalding the mouth off myself :o doesn't help that I have barely any tolerance for heat :o any ideas how I can cool it down considering I've at least 3 portions left?! ? Preferably without adding a sauce! Thanks!

Is natural yogurt or sour cream considered a sauce?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I did my first EVER shop in Lidl yesterday, what a revelation! :eek: Two courgettes for 29c?! Um hello?! (I obviously bought more than two courgettes) but I was really very pleasantly surprised by the selection, quality and price of the fruit and veg. I will continue to get my meat in the butchers I think but I picked up lovely duck breasts and confit of duck as well as lots of other lovely things and all for a fraction of the prices I usually pay! For Lidl officionados, are there any particular foodie treats that you recommend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

The extra mature white cheddar. Man, that stuff is good. Their bags of Italian/French roast ground coffee are nice everyday coffees too (although their freeze dried coffee is, without exception, poison). I always have their Blackforest smoked ham in the house too.

When they have an 'Italian' week their filled pastas are really good and we stock up like survivalists and when they have a 'Spanish' week I buy all their manchego.

Merkin wrote: »
    I did my first EVER shop in Lidl yesterday, what a revelation! :eek: Two courgettes for 29c?! Um hello?! (I obviously bought more than two courgettes) but I was really very pleasantly surprised by the selection, quality and price of the fruit and veg. I will continue to get my meat in the butchers I think but I picked up lovely duck breasts and confit of duck as well as lots of other lovely things and all for a fraction of the prices I usually pay! For Lidl officionados, are there any particular foodie treats that you recommend?

They have Italian weeks occasionally, with really good stuff on offer. Nice pestos, nice stuffed pastas, that sort of thing. A while back, they had Greek specials where I got two jars of really good Kalamata olives.
    At christmas, they had truffle oil which was just fantastic.

But day to day, I think their fruit and veg are hard to beat. They've got fantastic cherries at the moment, for example. And their bakery is very good, too. I love the fact I can finally get pretzels whenever I want them. And a good sourdough.

Make another batch without any seasoning, and mix the two batches together?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Shenshen wrote: »
    I love the fact I can finally get pretzels whenever I want them.

I have a love-hate relationship with their pretzels. I love the fact that I can get them but hate the fact that they're so addictive I occasionally find myself driving up to Lidl just to buy them. We'd graduated from 1 pretzel at a time to 2 pretzels each before I had to knock the habit on the head due to doing a quick count of how many I was eating every week :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Their charcuterie is good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

The extra mature white cheddar. Man, that stuff is good. Their bags of Italian/French roast ground coffee are nice everyday coffees too (although their freeze dried coffee is, without exception, poison). I always have their Blackforest smoked ham in the house too.

When they have an 'Italian' week their filled pastas are really good and we stock up like survivalists and when they have a 'Spanish' week I buy all their manchego.

Thanks re the cheese. I'm actually ADDICTED to cheese so will try the extra mature! I got some lovely smoked ham, the Deluxe selection, and it lovely. Lol re shopping like a survivalist.....welcome to my world :D
    Shenshen wrote: »
    They have Italian weeks occasionally, with really good stuff on offer. Nice pestos, nice stuffed pastas, that sort of thing. A while back, they had Greek specials where I got two jars of really good Kalamata olives.
    At christmas, they had truffle oil which was just fantastic.

But day to day, I think their fruit and veg are hard to beat. They've got fantastic cherries at the moment, for example. And their bakery is very good, too. I love the fact I can finally get pretzels whenever I want them. And a good sourdough.

Thanks, the cherries are SUCH good value and are proper plump, juicy cherries too. The bakery is amazing, bought some pastry for Mr. Merkins breakfast and he said it was delicious (maple and pecan) and a really very good multigrain hob which is delicious!
    kylith wrote: »
    Their charcuterie is good too.

Picked up some Parma and salami too Kylith, thank you, but also lovely accompaniments like mozzarella balls etc, the selection was fabulous!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I must pop in there for some cherries. I ordered a pitter online so I hope that arrives in time for me to make cherry cake for the weekend!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement