Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EPG in Media Center - Windows 7

• 25-10-2009 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭

I've recently installed Windows 7 Ultimate. Very impressed so far with Media Centre. It picked up my Pinnacle DVB-T card and tuned in the DTT tests fine. Recording feature works very well and I like the integration with the Media Player libraries. The MHEG teletext works well.
    I find, though, that Irish language characters are not being displayed correctly in the EPG. Characters with fadas like á é etc. are displayed like characters from Scandanavian alphabets. See attached screenscrape. I've ensured my keyboard settings are set for Irish.

Another slight issue with the EPG - the downloaded version works well, but I can't seem to get the transmitted (in-band) EPG if I turn off the download feature (by not accepting the terms and conditions). The documentation indicates that the in-band EPG should work to update the downloded EPG, should there be a programme change, but I can't seem to get it to work. Any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭phill106

fat-tony wrote: »
    I've recently installed Windows 7 Ultimate. Very impressed so far with Media Centre. It picked up my Pinnacle DVB-T card and tuned in the DTT tests fine. Recording feature works very well and I like the integration with the Media Player libraries. The MHEG teletext works well.
    I find, though, that Irish language characters are not being displayed correctly in the EPG. Characters with fadas like á é etc. are displayed like characters from Scandanavian alphabets. See attached screenscrape. I've ensured my keyboard settings are set for Irish.

Another slight issue with the EPG - the downloaded version works well, but I can't seem to get the transmitted (in-band) EPG if I turn off the download feature (by not accepting the terms and conditions). The documentation indicates that the in-band EPG should work to update the downloded EPG, should there be a programme change, but I can't seem to get it to work. Any tips?

Pondering getting one of these for laptop. How do you find the Pinnacle DVB-T?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

phill106 wrote: »
    Pondering getting one of these for laptop. How do you find the Pinnacle DVB-T?
    This is a 3010X PCI Express card for a desktop - not laptop - ok? I bought it on eBay for about 20 euro I think. It has twin tuners, but as only one mux is active on Irish DTT the second tuner is not needed at the moment. I've used the card previously with DVBViewer with the standard Windows BDA driver and now with Media Center. Never bothered going to the Pinnacle website to download their drivers and player, so there may be some tweaks or tools available for the hardware which I'm not aware of. It was pretty much a case of install it and forget it. You do need a PCI Express slot though - it's not a regular PCI card.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭phill106

fat-tony wrote: »
    This is a 3010X PCI Express card for a desktop - not laptop - ok? I bought it on eBay for about 20 euro I think. It has twin tuners, but as only one mux is active on Irish DTT the second tuner is not needed at the moment. I've used the card previously with DVBViewer with the standard Windows BDA driver and now with Media Center. Never bothered going to the Pinnacle website to download their drivers and player, so there may be some tweaks or tools available for the hardware which I'm not aware of. It was pretty much a case of install it and forget it. You do need a PCI Express slot though - it's not a regular PCI card.

thanks, would definitely be a usb one i would be looking for. would you recommend any?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭PyeContinental

I have the same issue, and haven't figured out a solution yet although I did check that all regional, keyboard and language settings were set to Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Orthanix

The guy at this thread is having the same issue:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055651620

You could try Guide Tool which allows you to change the EPG source data for each channel individually. It can be found at:

http://1geek1tool.com/guidetool

• Advertisement

Hey, I noticed yesterday evening that fadas were being displayed correctly (see attachment).
    I didn't make any regional or keyboard settings changes, and although I added some channels to my EPG and reordered some channels, I don't believe I did anything that should have affected this issue.

I don't suppose anyone else's has suddenly started displaying correctly also, for no apparent reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,405 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Hey, I noticed yesterday evening that fadas were being displayed correctly (see attachment).
    I didn't make any regional or keyboard settings changes, and although I added some channels to my EPG and reordered some channels, I don't believe I did anything that should have affected this issue.

I don't suppose anyone else's has suddenly started displaying correctly also, for no apparent reason?
    Just checked and mine's OK now as of tomorrow's listings. Today's are still screwed up though.

Noticed last night that the fadas aren't working again. I made no changes that I know of in Media Center.

Advertisement