Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

EDC torch

Options
  • 04-03-2015 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

So I'm trying to figure out what would be a good edc torch? I'm looking for something small that runs off either 1 AA or 1 AAA battery. I have been looking at the led lenser p5.2 and its brother p5.2r but want to see if anyone has any other recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭lostboy75

My EDC torch is a Led Lenser P3, its been in my EDC kit for awhile now, and always does what i need it to. how often do i use it, in reality maybe 5-6 times a year. have a bigger badder torch that's kept in the car and its the one that gets a decent bit of use.
    i know a lot of people don't rate the LLs too highly, and TBH i don't know about that, between that make and maglites that all i have ever had. my two LL were bought for a very good price. and haven't a bad word to say about them.
    with these kind of things its horses for courses really i.e. depends on how often you would use it and in what situations. i dont have a need for an expensive torch. that said i am always on the look out for interesting stuff. have only heard good comments on the Fenix name.
    be careful on the types of batteries it takes there are some that take unusual battery types, that can make sense for the application that the torch is needed for, but for most people its an added hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

I have a mini maglite in the car

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

I was a fan of maglites still am of the 4D cell but the smaller EDC ones just don't do it anymore. I went to ledlensers have the p2 p3 and p7 and never an issue always work and are good on battery life . Of late my EDC light is a ultrafire Cree Q5 1 AA battery or for max light a rechargeable 14500 3.7v is great been using this about 3 months and love it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

some nice Cree LED torches for about Eu 12 in Army Surplus in Carlow, opened recently at the roundabout on the North side of the town. It shares a warehouse with Home Depot and is beside Currys. same crowd runs the Surplus place in Midleton, Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭whiteley91

I totally forgot about the surplus shop in Carlow. I may take a visit in tomorrow and see what they have. I like the look of that Nitecore mt1a, but would prefer to but in a shop where I can see it and test it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 rookman

Also try ebay there are some great deals out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭lostboy75

Went to use my led lender p3 this eveving and nothing from it at all. Tried to open it, and the damn battery has leaked. Very surprised at that, but not torches fault I suspose. No matter what I tried could not coax it back to life.
    time for some torch shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

lostboy75 wrote: »
    Went to use my led lender p3 this eveving and nothing from it at all. Tried to open it, and the damn battery has leaked. Very surprised at that, but not torches fault I suspose. No matter what I tried could not coax it back to life.
    time for some torch shopping.

It's a pain when that happens try the ultafire Cree runs on 1 AA battery about the size of the head on the p3 about 220 lumens and less than 5 Euro on eBay great torch for the money I've changed my old pound shop ones to these and it's my EDC for a good while now . Single mode ones seem to be better I've 2 3 mode ones one is as good as the single mode but the other one won't last long the tail cap is really soft cheap aluminium the glass isn't as thick either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

I've a batch of the Ultafire Cree's (x1 AA battery) and other unbranded chinatown variants (all exactly the same).
    The dogs balls, and about the same price as a cuppa tea/coffee.
    The focused zoomable lens is almost laser like, in misty weather.
    Have 2,700mha rechargeables, handy.

Advertisement