Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The General Chat Thread

• 07-10-2013 5:37pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

We've built up a nice little community here, so I think it's no harm to start a chat thread. Use it for whatever you like - cooking and recipe related questions, or just to chat!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

I'm hungry!

I've a chicken jambalaya cooked with a bottle of bourgogne breathing and herself can't get here quick enough!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Made 2kg of blackberry jam over the weekend. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Cork selfbuild

My favourite jam, soooo good on a toasted scone, I'm hungry now too... :(

Are they still out? Great stuff.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

My OH works until 8.15 at the moment so dinner is still in the oven. Sunday roast on a Monday, yum yum!

I meant to go looking for blackberries this year, but never got around to it. Got a jar of blackberry jam from my mum though. Raspberry would be my preference, but I never think to get raspberries in the summer!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I made lots of blackberry and apple jam last weekend. It's yum :) jam is so much easier to make then you think as well.

I had leftover cooking apples so yesterday I made a sticky apple maple tray bake. I normally hate fruit in cakes but it was seriously delicious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

I found two great spots for blackberries last month, there's still some left in the less nice of the two spots, keep meaning to go pick them, so delicious! And free berries are extra amazing when you then check how much they are in supermarkets :) I picked about a kilo one day from just ditches alone.

I found two great spots for blackberries last month, there's still some left in the less nice of the two spots, keep meaning to go pick them, so delicious! And free berries are extra amazing when you then check how much they are in supermarkets :) I picked about a kilo one day from just ditches alone.

I had loads of trouble finding them round by me but I went up North last week, we were staying in a holiday cottage near Bushmills and I have never seen so many berries. I only noticed them as I was leaving to go home (boo!) but I stopped and picked for 20 minutes. I managed to get 1.4kg of berries in that time but I wish I'd noticed earlier, I could have gone on a long walk and got loads!

I have plans to make lots of thing over the next few weeks, lemon curd, lime marmalade, chilli jam and I need to get the Christmas cake on the go.

grub was a hit, vino is (still) a hit ;) and it's only a Monday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

I have a load of blackberries in the freezer, well there are slowly disappearing, I'm making too many crumbles.

I was looking on line for a sloe gin recipe and came across a blackberry whiskey recipe do planning on attempting this. Around ten years ago I had some while in Edinburgh so hoping it will taste like I remember.

Great idea for the thread, sometimes it's nice just to chat than start a new thread with questions etc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I paid €5 for two little packs of blackberries yesterday for my apple and blackberry crumble. Next time I'll go and pick them myself.

Today I lifted lots of beetroot from the garden and have it roasted and peeled and ready to make chutney once I buy some vinegar :)

fitzcoff wrote: »
    I have a load of blackberries in the freezer, well there are slowly disappearing, I'm making too many crumbles.

I was looking on line for a sloe gin recipe and came across a blackberry whiskey recipe do planning on attempting this. Around ten years ago I had some while in Edinburgh so hoping it will taste like I remember.

Great idea for the thread, sometimes it's nice just to chat than start a new thread with questions etc

We DO live in an amazing country don't we? :pac:;):p:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Cork selfbuild

Loire wrote: »
    grub was a hit, vino is (still) a hit ;) and it's only a Monday :D

Tut tut drinking on a school night!! :D

I'm jealous!! :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I may be making elderberry wine in the next few weeks (just made creme de mure). Get out there and get the berries. ;)

Tut tut drinking on a school night!! :D

I'm jealous!! :(

I think it was Mae West who said it best..."too much of a good thing is wonderful".

Loin of Pork marinating & lustfully waiting for the slow cooker in the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

fitzcoff wrote: »

I've just googled this, it looks incredible! I think I may give it a try.... Don't know how I'd resist the urge to pour myself a wee glass (or two) for a whole year though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Howdy All, nice to have a chat thread :)

Made coconut flour pancakes, needs some tweaking, but they're not bad

I have a recipe for Blackberry relish that I'd love to have tried - if only I had picked more berries! It looked lovely to have with savoury meats etc.

Maybe next year! (I cannot bring myself to buy blackberries :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭dipdip

Mr Simpson wrote: »
    Howdy All, nice to have a chat thread :)

Made coconut flour pancakes, needs some tweaking, but they're not bad

recipe pls!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Made half a dozen apple tarts over the weekend. Two with just apple and cloves two with some blackberries thrown in and two with some cape-gooseberries I grew during the summer. Don't know how the cape-gooseberry ones will turn out but seen as I had them I thought why not.

Had a slice of the clove one tonight with custard, delish :). rest are frozen to be used during the winter.

Used ready made pastry from Aldi. Could do with being a bit bigger, but really tasty as pastry goes.

Just remembered I put some mixed spice into one of the tarts as I had some in the press. Looking forward to trying it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

dipdip wrote: »
    recipe pls!

It was kind of by eye, but about 2 tablespoons coconut flour, about 3 egg whites, 1 tsp splenda, some water to thin slightly and 1 tsp baking powder.

It involves a bit of messing about to get it right, it was only my first trial of it, I'm going to try refine it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm crazy for stewed apple. I dunno what prompted it but every 10 days or so I buy a four pack of big bold green apples and cook em up with brown sugar, honey and some Cinnamon to have with my breakfast cereal. Hmmm :)

I'm also skating on thin ice with my cooked meats - I have stuff in the fridge for a week before eating it sometimes. Must plan better.

• Administrators Posts: 53,127 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Speaking of stew, just back from a holiday in 27 degree heat. Walked into the hotel restaurant one lunch time and what was on the menu? Beef stew.

Beef stew in 27 fecking degrees? Screw that! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Yay, I'm delighted there's a chat thread. Especially as grub is probably my favourite topic of conversation in the whole wide world :D Hubby made a chicken stew last night from the leftovers of our Sunday roast. Being totally honest, I wasn't overly enthused about the idea of it but it was one of the best things he's ever cooked. Made up the stock from the bones and then added lots of mushrooms, potatoes, carrots, mustard powder....am having the rest for lunch today!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I went bananas in the kitchen this weekend. Two Christmas puddings, mixed and steamed for six hours; two trays of experimental gingerbread men (crispy - on the hunt for a chewy recipe), a double layer chocolate cake with orange chocolate buttercream icing, and currently in the oven is about 4lbs of home made mincemeat with suet slowly melting over it, to be ladled into jars and used for mince pies closer to the date.

...this is entirely because I have two assignments due for my Masters next week, and would far rather bake. Being a mature student: FANTASTIC for your cooking.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I went bananas in the kitchen this weekend. Two Christmas puddings, mixed and steamed for six hours; two trays of experimental gingerbread men (crispy - on the hunt for a chewy recipe), a double layer chocolate cake with orange chocolate buttercream icing, and currently in the oven is about 4lbs of home made mincemeat with suet slowly melting over it, to be ladled into jars and used for mince pies closer to the date.

...this is entirely because I have two assignments due for my Masters next week, and would far rather bake. Being a mature student: FANTASTIC for your cooking.

Yes, my cooking improved ten-fold over the course of my Masters :D

That chocolate cake sounds INCREDIBLE. Would you have the recipe to hand?

I had an amazing sticky toffee pudding last week, bought at the Farmer's Market in Mahon. Is it worth making it yourself? It looks a bit fiddly and I'm trying to decide if it's best left to 'treat' status in a restaurant or whatnot.

a double layer chocolate cake with orange chocolate buttercream icing

Please PLEASE can you post the recipe for this? :)

I'd like to try and make a lemon tart. Does anyone have a nice recipe that they use that they would care to share?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Faith, I've made these little sticky toffee puddings and they're worth the effort for a special occasion: http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/cuisine/european/english/little-sticky-toffee-puddings-with-pecan-toffee-sauce.html

I do love the M&S one too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Urm, unfortunately the sponge was very straightforward (eggs, sugar, butter, flour, dutch process cocoa, divide batter into two 20cm cake tins and bake for 20-25 mins) and the icing was an invention because I didn't have the right ingredients for the recipe I was following! I used duck eggs in the baking (just because I had them).

Generally, it was a case of beating soft butter and sugar with the mixer until pale and creamy; then adding a level tbsp of dutch process cocoa and mixing more; then adding the grated zest of half an orange, and a splash of milk, and then I melted about 50g of 70% cocoa dark chocolate and added that to the mixer, still whisking. Orange is MADE to go with chocolate, and I find a little grated zest is enough to make most chocolate things into rather magnificent orangey chocolate things...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement