Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LIDL's chicken thighs 1kg for €2 (28% off)

• 23-05-2015 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭

seen it today, plenty of stock it seems, I debone it and do something like chicken escalopes with them (with garlic, parsley and oregano on the beaten egg before the dry bread crums and then deep fry it, yummy)
    it does well in the freezer, I'm well stocked now

AFAIK is only thighs on offer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

^ they had mountains of drumsticks on offer earlier in the week as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭markc2951

I wouldn't touch the chicken or any meat from lidl.its not nice imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

markc2951 wrote: »

I find it tastier than other supermarkets and even the cheap (ish) from the butchers, we go by about 3 or 4kg of the stuff a week at home

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

I use thighs in the smoker the whole time. Best piece of chicken to use, done in hour and half and plenty tasty.

Good BA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

Both lidl and aldi have very good chicken and meat in comparison to other supermarkets like Tesco

€2 for a box of thighs, you can't go wrong
    Good bargain alert op

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

^The chicken offer expires after today (Sunday).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Sounds finger licking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mikehn

I worked in one of the major poultry processing facilities in the country and I hate to burst your bubble but the chickens we supplied went to the likes of Lidl, Dunnes, Tesco etc.:p So same chickens but different labels. Actually if they were all retailing at the same price I would buy Lidl as their QC checks were the strictest of all and they tended to be supplied with the prime stock. I have an Aldi 2200g chicken for today only €6 and it looks great. I would be careful in checking the CE marks though, especially on the value added portions. I am not really keen on stuff from the likes of Thailand due to their controls there. Dunnes were doing a deal on frozen chicken skewers lately but I passed as they originated in Thailand.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭markc2951

mikehn wrote:
    I worked in one of the major poultry processing facilities in the country and I hate to burst your bubble but the chickens we supplied went to the likes of Lidl, Dunnes, Tesco etc. So same chickens but different labels. Actually if they were all retailing at the same price I would buy Lidl as their QC checks were the strictest of all and they tended to be supplied with the prime stock. I have an Aldi 2200g chicken for today only €6 and it looks great. I would be careful in checking the CE marks though, especially on the value added portions. I am not really keen on stuff from the likes of Thailand due to their controls there. Dunnes were doing a deal on frozen chicken skewers lately but I passed as they originated in Thailand.

mikehn wrote:
    I worked in one of the major poultry processing facilities in the country and I hate to burst your bubble but the chickens we supplied went to the likes of Lidl, Dunnes, Tesco etc. So same chickens but different labels. Actually if they were all retailing at the same price I would buy Lidl as their QC checks were the strictest of all and they tended to be supplied with the prime stock. I have an Aldi 2200g chicken for today only €6 and it looks great. I would be careful in checking the CE marks though, especially on the value added portions. I am not really keen on stuff from the likes of Thailand due to their controls there. Dunnes were doing a deal on frozen chicken skewers lately but I passed as they originated in Thailand.

What mark is on them to determine where they come from ie thailand..

Good post btw

• Registered Users Posts: 16,627 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Good stuff.

Picked up some, plenty food for the dogs. Grand meat for small.dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭signostic

bought a pack of their chopped up chicken breast yesterday to make a curry, it was really tough meat :(

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭writhen

With chicken - just look for the Bord Bia quality assured mark. It's a top notch scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Paint Brush

€2 a kilo is great, and LIDL's are some of the best drumsticks around. They are just less rubbery than other supermarkets like they've seen less freezer time or something.

Whack em all into a bag with your spice blend of choice/soy sauce/worcestershire sauce for a few hours then roast em. Amaze.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I love cooking them in my tefal acrifry, add some curry powder to the veg oil then cook for 15 mins for curry drumsticks

I love cooking them in my tefal acrifry, add some curry powder to the veg oil then cook for 15 mins for curry drumsticks

That's some David blane stuff right there
    Turning chicken thighs into drumsticks
    Tell us your secret oh wise one

signostic wrote: »
    bought a pack of their chopped up chicken breast yesterday to make a curry, it was really tough meat :(

Could be the way you cooked it
    If it's that bad take it back with the receipt and you will get a refund

Advertisement