Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Pit Lane - DIY garage

• 13-07-2011 5:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,971 ✭✭✭✭

Just spotted this on The Morning Show on 3E.

Discussed on Octane.ie here and here.

Not your ornery onager

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

And here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,971 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Ah fuppit! :D I googled this:

"the pit lane" 3e site:.ie

and didn't see any hits here....

If I'd googled "DIY garage" site:.ie I wouldn't have my foot in my mouth now....

Ah well, at least we beat the Octapussies to it! :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

anyone been yet????

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Greyfoot

Have my trusted jacks and stands here, even took out an engine and gearbox in a laneway in rathgar once. Might be an interesting idea though, not sure if there are enough customer for this as I said I can do pretty much everything with two jacks and stands I think most likeminded guys would do the same. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

You can do it with stands but its alot nicer and easier to do it with a lift, especially suspension/transmission stuff. The questions is - is it worth the money for nicer ?

Could def be useful in the winter months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

This place closed down? Just went over and it's all locked up

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Gary ITR wrote: »
    This place closed down? Just went over and it's all locked up

Website isnt loading for me.

http://thepitlane.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Daved_XB

I'd been ringing for a week with no answer & drove over during the week & it looks very much like its closed down sadly

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Thats a bummer if it is, real shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Sad to see any business close. With a bit of proper marketing it could have done really well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,365 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Has anyone here actually used them in the past?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭deandean

Nooooo! It is tragic if the pit lane has closed. It is such a good idea.
    I have a list of jobs i was gonna do there - diff oil, etc.
    Just haven't got around to it yet.
    Soinds like a lot of folks (like me) loved the idea but didn't use the facility.
    Sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Pity, my brother in law used them and said they were brilliant. Friendly staff willing to help and even lent him some of their tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

I went up yesterday afternoon to do an oil change and found the place locked up. Absolute shame they've closed. I had used their workshop a few times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Well, it was a unique product they where offering, different from anything else in this country, genuinely cheaper (if you know what you're doing), innovative, fresh, radical thinking, it never stood a chance from the word go.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,798 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

I honestly thought it would succeed, I am not aware of any other business offering the same service in Dublin or Ireland for that matter. I suppose it boiled down to most people who are happy to tackle jobs on their cars would in most cases have the majority of tools and facilities themselves. Perhaps if they would have tied it in with some basic mechanics course where the basics of servicing were shown to the public there might have been demand from those doing the course to tackle their own cars. It's a real pity it is gone, I had the place in mind for whenever I would tackle a bigger job on the car but unfortunately never got around to seeing the place.

Advertisement