Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speeding up laptop

• 12-01-2013 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

In msconfig, in start up the are 3 items from intel that are enabled, I disabled the like of skype,messenager, i take it that the intel items need to be enabled,

also in msconfig there are many things running, is the a way to knowwhat should be running and what should not be running, I have done a clean up, defrag and few other things to help speed up lapton, win 7 on laptop

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭darren2368

The main things I did to speed up my XP were clean the registry (CCleaner), disable as much startup programs as possible and get rid of any programs you're not using. If you're not noticing enough of a change you could always reinstall the system. I read something about windows that it "rots" over time, so no matter what you do it'll just gradually get slower. Can't beat a fresh install!

Oh and you probably already know this but if you don't, just keep as much stuff off the hard drive as possible. The more clutter you have on it the more it impacts the performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭castle

thanks Darren

• Registered Users Posts: 81,490 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

not a lot of information to go off there. Whats the hardware? You might have a CPU or a RAM bottleneck for example. An SSD is always going to be a worthwhile option as well. After I get my taxes squared away, my Desktop will no longer be the last piece of hardware I have that doesn't boot from an SSD; it's a night and day change in performance for any age of hardware, but you would want to have your OS discs handy to attempt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭blindsider

darren2368 wrote: »
    The main things I did to speed up my XP were clean the registry (CCleaner), disable as much startup programs as possible and get rid of any programs you're not using. If you're not noticing enough of a change you could always reinstall the system. I read something about windows that it "rots" over time, so no matter what you do it'll just gradually get slower. Can't beat a fresh install!

Oh and you probably already know this but if you don't, just keep as much stuff off the hard drive as possible. The more clutter you have on it the more it impacts the performance.

Can you tell me how I could do this please? I'm running Win7.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

What startup programs can I disable?

The programs that you are able to disable really depend on what you have installed on your PC. However, I will try to list some common programs that are OK to disable.

iTunes (and iTunesHelper)
    AOL instant Messenger
    Steam
    Origins
    Adobe programs
    Any DVD Playing or Burning Software like Roxio, PowerDVD, etc
    RealPlay
    GoogleDesktop
    EHTray
    Google, Bing Toolbars
    Dropbox
    These are just a few of the programs that you can disable safely. Chances are, you have more programs that can be disabled than listed above. One thing I do want to note is that I would NOT recommend disabling your Virus protection software. You will want this to startup when Windows starts up. Also, if you have laptop touch pad software, it is a good idea to leave this on as well.
    http://www.domstechblog.com/disabling-windows-startup-programs-can-speed-up-your-pc/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭blindsider

Thanks biko - much appreciated!

Advertisement