Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

www.soldit.ie Please Critique!

• 12-03-2012 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi All,

Would appreciate feedback on the above site. Bear in mind its not completed yet but would appreciate comments on fucntionality and design/visual aspect. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

It is not obvious wher or how i create an account from the Homepage.
    More social links needed i.e. twitter etc.
    Clicking the Help button takes me to a very red page just full of text.
    The Help Topics button on the Help page doesnt seem to have functionality.
    Home button needed in the Help section
    moving cursor over the "search for" word on the home page makes other items underlined then not underlined once moved.
    Clicking on "Place Ad" on right hand side doesnt do anything
    I dont see a place listing payment types,Laser ,Credit Card etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

cheap knock off of the donedeal site... better making something original

• Registered Users Posts: 9 padraig341

Clinton thanks for your comments, the "Place Ad" button seem to work fine for me could you possibly try again? Your other comments are duly noted and exactly the type of thing Im looking for.....Thank you. James I think your comment is hardly constructive or helpful. Of course all classifieds will be judged by the DoneDeal yardstick but I am looking for some input not just a put down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

You are making the same critical mistakes almost all new classifieds make. They are covered in many of the previous reviews of classifieds sites in this and the Entrepreneurial and Business Management forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

You're entering a very competitive and already dominated area. You have a chicken and egg problem - nobody is going to put up ads on an empty directory that is unlikely to get them any sales, and nobody is going to buy from a directory if there aren't any items for sale!

If you can offer something the others can't, you should build the message of the site around that. Otherwise I'd be very careful with how much more time or money you're investing in this.

Probably not what you want to hear, but there you go.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all your comments so far, all appreciated!Im well aware of the flooded marketplace etc. and to that end we will be targeting a specific niche market not currently catered for. My own personal view is that at present the website does not have the correct look/feel and as with earlier comments I am also eager to hear on functionality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

padraig341 wrote: »
    Clinton thanks for your comments, the "Place Ad" button seem to work fine for me could you possibly try again? Your other comments are duly noted and exactly the type of thing Im looking for.....Thank you. James I think your comment is hardly constructive or helpful. Of course all classifieds will be judged by the DoneDeal yardstick but I am looking for some input not just a put down.

Hi

With regards the Place Ad icon(red box) i have just noticed that it does work,however at a glance it just looks like it refresh's the page,i would suggest that when the Place Ad button is used that there is more of a significant change on the page.
    I would also suggest that your Logo form part of all pages so that it provides a link back to the home page.

due to recent copyright changes and a story i heard the other day,i hope you have permission to use the images that you haves used on the home page.
    Having selected the Auto notify button the page you are brought to seems a little cluttered and onesided,too much of the text is underlined and i think it should be spread more to the right hand side to make it look less congetsed on the left.

Rgds

Clinton

Hi All,

I would appreciate your feedback on the attached visuals of our soon to be launched classifieds site. Constructive criticism welcomed! I should say we are well aware of the perils of entering this market so no cautionary tales needed!

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

The dark background gives it a very unprofessional feel. I always tend to stay with the bright colours.
    The "Place An Ad" & "Manage My Ads" buttons are pretty poor. The font does work well there, and just seems to big
    SoldIt.ie logo could do with some work, make it a bit more professional again, just doesn't seem right for this type of website. It also seems to be to large compared to other items on your website.
    I don't see any contact details if someone has a problem with their ad or something? Maybe I'm just missing that.
    Personally, I don't think the red sits very well.
    On the ad page itself, the return to search button takes up a full column, when it really doesn't need to. Maybe place an advert along the site with it, something that will at least fill the huge empty space.

Overall, I think you need to re-think your design if you want to get into such a highly populated market.

Look at other advertisement (adverts, donedeal, autotrader) all have great designs - Some allow you to search by area, make, model, year etc

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭TheWaterboy

Unfortunately I too think the design is very dull and un-exciting. Your well aware that you are entering a tough market so you need to be offering something extra than the normal to be able to attract buyers and sellers. There is nothing there to attract me from the usual DoneDeal or Adverts.ie

Your search facilities look poor too. Personally I think that is one thing that is lacking from the usual classified sites - some type of innovative and advanced search facility. In fairness to Ebay theirs has improved significantly over the last number of years.

Best of luck with it though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,280 ✭✭✭jmcc

Small white text on a black or dark background is hard to read. You may need to look at that design on a number of devices and browsers.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭JD RoX

Ask for your money back if you even paid a cent, it's very unprofessional - designer clearly has no idea what colors work for this kind of market.. Scrap it

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Freddio

white writing on black background burns my retina.

If you neutralized the background image and made the white fonts grey but keeping the same overlay concept, you wouldn't be warding people off.

At the end of the day, your customers wont really care about the design but they will care about how easy to use the site is (navigation) and the cars themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭SeanIAm

Without the full website it's hard to tell the quality of the site. From the attached pictures though it seems the main framework is grand but you just need to work on the design aspects such as the background and buttons.

Out of pure interest are you using a certain classifieds framework such as classipress? I'm only asking because I just set up a classifieds site for YouTube related products and was just wondering what others were using in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

This is now the third thread for this site.

If you had simply updated one of the pre-existing threads contributors could at least get a feel for what changes have been made along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Two Website Reviews threads merged herein. Also relevant: Classified Website Development with Wordpress

Advertisement