Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Organic Hair Care

Options
  • 10-04-2011 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone here has used/uses organic hair care products, what do you think of them? Were they good/bad? Did they make a difference to your hair? Would you recommend them?

I have very greasy hair, I have to wash it every two days, I have tried letting it go for longer without washing, but it got to greasy I couldn't stick it any longer so ended up washing it.

I was looking at these products, which are meant for oily/greasy hair. Anyone know anything about them? Or can recommend some other organic products? Would organic products make a difference?

http://www.hollandandbarrett.ie/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=1269&prodid=1501

http://ie.lizearle.com/haircare/botanical-shine-conditioner-oily.html?cmp=google_ie_haircare&kw=hair+care+for+greasy+hair+b

I've tried tea tree shampoo.conditioner and coconut shampoo/condition, but couldn't stick the smell of them.:o

Currently I used some John Freida products and rarely use the hair straightener. I normally blow dry my hair, but am trying to get it dry naturally, though it takes forever.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭slowmoe

i'm just starting to use a'kin products. They were recommended to me by a friend. I have dry hair so i wouldn't recommend what i'm using but will let you know if i find the range any good

• Registered Users Posts: 23 rahor

Hi,
    Are you trying organic haircare in the hope that it will curb the greasiness?
    I too have very greasy hair and have to wash my hair everyday and have never found anything that worked to stop the greasiness.
    Leaving your hair get greasy for a few days doesn't do anything at all to stop it, you just end up looking a mess.
    I was on acne medication that dried out my scalp for a few months and I only had to wash my hair every 4 or 5 days- it was heaven! But when I came off the medication, I had to revert back to washing it everyday, it literally went straight back to being really oily again so I'm very sceptical that organic products would work to stop it tbh.
    Sorry I'm not much help- if you find anything useful, I'd be interested in trying it too though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

rahor wrote: »
    Hi,
    Are you trying organic haircare in the hope that it will curb the greasiness?
    I too have very greasy hair and have to wash my hair everyday and have never found anything that worked to stop the greasiness.
    Leaving your hair get greasy for a few days doesn't do anything at all to stop it, you just end up looking a mess.
    I was on acne medication that dried out my scalp for a few months and I only had to wash my hair every 4 or 5 days- it was heaven! But when I came off the medication, I had to revert back to washing it everyday, it literally went straight back to being really oily again so I'm very sceptical that organic products would work to stop it tbh.
    Sorry I'm not much help- if you find anything useful, I'd be interested in trying it too though!
    That's exactly what I am hoping it will do.

Even if the organic products didn't stop it getting greasy, but helped it not to be as greasy so quickly, I'd be happy! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Hi,I use only organic shampoo and conditioners. My favourites are the Faith In Nature range. They are available in most health shops,they are very reasonably priced and have a wide range of products. Personally I don't suffer too badly with greasy hair but they have products which deal with it. I do find them very pleasant smelling. Another very good but more pricey range is Phyto. They too have products for greasy hair. Phyto products I used to find work amazingly well and are beautiful to use,it was just the price which turned me off them Obviously I don't know your financial situation so possibly you may find them resonable enough. best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

Try a good clarifying shampoo.. such a as head and shoulders.. although not great if you have coloured hair as it will lighten it.. and dry shampoo is a lifesafer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

A cousin of mine who has (or had, she seems to be better now) swore me off shampoos for greasy hair. Apparently they're harsh and dried out her scalp, which made her hair more greasy. Ick. So according to her, stay well clear of them unless you want worse hair.

Sarah Bear wrote: »
    Try a good clarifying shampoo.. such a as head and shoulders.. although not great if you have coloured hair as it will lighten it.. and dry shampoo is a lifesafer!
    I tried a clarifying shampoo, it was in a green bottle, think it was by Herbal Essences or Garnier. I used the conditioner also.

Found no difference :(
    Aoifums wrote: »
    A cousin of mine who has (or had, she seems to be better now) swore me off shampoos for greasy hair. Apparently they're harsh and dried out her scalp, which made her hair more greasy. Ick. So according to her, stay well clear of them unless you want worse hair.
    So what did she wash her hair with? Because if you don't use shampoo then how would you get the grease out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

So what did she wash her hair with? Because if you don't use shampoo then how would you get the grease out?

I think she was talking about mega strong shampoos. Hers was probably an Australian product as I hadn't heard of it.
    I don't use shampoo in general but I'm not sure how that would work if you had really greasy hair. It works fine for me though.

Aoifums wrote: »
    I think she was talking about mega strong shampoos. Hers was probably an Australian product as I hadn't heard of it.
    I don't use shampoo in general but I'm not sure how that would work if you had really greasy hair. It works fine for me though.
    From the quote I'm assuming she is in Australia? If so, then the product probably isn't available in Ireland :(

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Stoko

I wash my hair every day for years now but all hair-dressers are saying that my hair is in perfect condition, I think that the reason is that I use only paraben free, natural shampoos as they are not that harsh. Currently I am using these two, both available at buyersclub.ie they are both natural and paraben free (as all good professional shampoos). Also I am using conditioner after every wash and hair mask once a week.
    http://www.buyersclub.ie/queen-rose-shampoo-with-natural-rose-concrete-200ml
    http://www.buyersclub.ie/olive-age-defying-shampoo-250-ml?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭fits

I wash my hair every day as well. I envy you that you can go two.

Anyway, having tried every shampoo under the planet, including organic, I recommend

1. La Roche Posay Kerium for greasy hair. (If you were on roaccuatane you might have become familiar with their great products). I know it says for dandruff, I dont really have it but I do get very irritated itchy scalp if I use normal shampoos.
    http://www.laroche-posay.com/products-treatments/Kerium/Kerium-Oily-Dandruff-p3873.aspx
    2. Kiehl's Amino Acid shampoo.

Both of these seem to be very kind to my scalp and clean the hair well. They are a bit pricey but they do last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Fortunately I have never had this problem, but I've stumbled across articles in the past about Urine Therapy that might be of use.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Zombie thread. Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement