Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

English Poetry Questions

• 26-04-2004 5:42pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm having big problems with english poetry questions. I can't seem to answer them! I get really confused about what I'm saying, and then forget anything relating to the question, then I just waffle on with loads of nonsense. I'm doing a question at the moment that's something like "Write an introduction to a short collection of poems by W. Wordsworth that are on your course", and I have no idea how to even start it. Any suggestions?

(I'm only in 5th year, in case anyone thinks i'm leaving it too late!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

Intro: Introduce poems and a give one line on the general jist of the poem, maybe if it applies give a tiny biographical note on the author. Make sure you clearly state what you are doing and how it relates to the question.

Pick 4/5 poems *minimum* and discuss each one per paragraph. Always always always refer to the question in the opening of each paragraph, discuss the poem a bit, then close.

Rinse wash repeat.

Conclusion: Sum up, rephrase a bit of the intro, maybe add in a critics quote, but make sure to not add any new content in at all.

Do a rough plan and stick to it and have the question in front of you at all times. I suggest getting the Leaving cert poetry notes book, its full of damn good waffle phrases that look really good.

Although I hate english, and my teacher drive me insane, she really is one of the best english teachers around. In the end though I'm pretty good when it comes to it because of her, so feel free to ask more questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Originally posted by Faith
    I'm having big problems with english poetry questions. I can't seem to answer them! I get really confused about what I'm saying, and then forget anything relating to the question, then I just waffle on with loads of nonsense. I'm doing a question at the moment that's something like "Write an introduction to a short collection of poems by W. Wordsworth that are on your course", and I have no idea how to even start it. Any suggestions?

(I'm only in 5th year, in case anyone thinks i'm leaving it too late!)

If your using the POETRY NOW book use the notes in the back of that.
    It has rapih notes, adn if you dont have the said book...get it.
    Seriously though, those notes are so good that it would be a wise investment to get hat book.

Advertisement