Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What is your role in post-zombie apocalypse?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

ultimately with something like that you'll end up having a "bartertown" (thanks Tina Turner) type hub where various groups will set up a trading market.

who run bartertown?

Ideally, everyone, in reality, probably just one person with a lot of power and fingers in many pies. Those pies being a cut/percentage of sales.

Thinking of the series Jericho. The town of Jericho had a saltmine which was immensely helpful for keeping food fresh (meat particularly) as well as have a multitude of other uses. Anyway, they traded the salt for other necessities at a very well armed and fenced-in (complete with guard towers) community trading hub.
    They also had some very strict rules on trading and a penalty of death could be imposed for breaching said rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Max001 wrote: »
    The vast majority of the population are urban / suburban dwellers, with few ties to the countryside and little to no farming skills.
    That's true but that population will be the first to be heavily affected by the situation. A lot will become infected, a lot will die from lack of food or in the chaos of food riots, a lot will die fleeing the cities.
    Unless whatever location is settled includes a farm and the expertise to run it and defend it, we're going to be reliant on food we can scavenge until such times as sustainable food sources are developed.
    Once you leave Dublin, or any city pretty much every field you see is a farm of some sort. In the east and south where the land is good there's a lot of crop farming, out here in the west where the land isn't as suitable it's all animal farming, lots of cattle and sheep. Even unmanaged the domestic farm animals will be a dependable source of food.

After that you can forage quite a bit, nettles make good food and they're everywhere, berries in the autumn grow everywhere, with the industrial world gone the rivers and seas should be over run with fish in short time.
    Anyone who views being armed as dangerous, in the context of a zombie filled world is very quickly going to become lunch.
    Think of it this way, imagine the worst estate in Ireland full of all the criminal lowlife families you can think of. Which do you think would be the safest way to move through that estate? Head down, hood up, walk through unarmed? Or strolling down the street with a baseball bat? I'm not saying you should be unarmed but make sure not to draw attention to yourself as carrying valuable weapons. If a group of armed men surrounded you the guns basically useless, you'll have to surrender it. If you look pathetic and barely able to scrape food together you'll be less of a target for people.
    Kromdar wrote: »
    i propose a 3rd option

i personally, in a post-apoc society, would like to start up a warehouse of scavenged parts. i would set up shop in a large industrial building, preferably with some sort of generator/welder, some tools, and a whole load of barbed wire.

anyway i would set up just outside a city, have a few scavengers looting the city.
    It's a good idea, what would make you most valuable, even more so than having the store is a knowledge of the city and where to get things. You wouldn't even have to bring everything back to the store, when you find something useful hide it in the city and tell people you know where to find it. People can steal your stuff but they need to be on your good side to get your information.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

if you understood political theory you would know Stalinist russia was not communist. and as I said we would be building from scratch there would no no capitalist system or governments opposing communism, also anarchism is human nature we naturally like to work together

Who mentioned Russia? What's with this making stuff up as you go along thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

ScumLord wrote: »

Think of it this way, imagine the worst estate in Ireland full of all the criminal lowlife families you can think of. Which do you think would be the safest way to move through that estate? Head down, hood up, walk through unarmed? Or strolling down the street with a baseball bat? I'm not saying you should be unarmed but make sure not to draw attention to yourself as carrying valuable weapons. If a group of armed men surrounded you the guns basically useless, you'll have to surrender it. If you look pathetic and barely able to scrape food together you'll be less of a target for people.

It's a good idea, what would make you most valuable, even more so than having the store is a knowledge of the city and where to get things. You wouldn't even have to bring everything back to the store, when you find something useful hide it in the city and tell people you know where to find it. People can steal your stuff but they need to be on your good side to get your information.

Who do you think will get their hands on firearms, immediately after the military and police? The criminals of course. If they don't have them already.

By employing military tactics, you lessen the risk of getting surrounded.
    By planning first, you avoid areas full of lowlifes or other threats.
    Should the worst happen and you do find yourself in a tight spot, I'd be much happier with an automatic weapon than relying on my acting abilities. Saying you're surrounded, thus a firearm is useless, is no sort of logic at all. Also, it doesn't take much effort, to keep even the most complicated of firearms serviceable. They are built for battlefield conditions. Whether its other people, or zombies, its a lot easier to kill at a distance, than up close. That's the purpose of assault weapons. To keep the threat at a distance.

Hope for the best by all means. But, prepare for the worst. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Max001 wrote: »
    Who mentioned Russia? What's with this making stuff up as you go along thing?

the communism has failed thing is a clear reference to the USSR, come z day the modern system collapse if history thought us anything its when **** goes bad that fascists pop up so i say we build post apocalyptic anarch communism

• Advertisement

Last warning folks, cut the political debate down to a minimum - you're both derailing the thread and sapping the fun from the topic with it. If you really really have to discuss the pro's and con's of communism, try the politics forum.

Last warning folks, cut the political debate down to a minimum - you're both derailing the thread and sapping the fun from the topic with it. If you really really have to discuss the pro's and con's of communism, try the politics forum.

my last post was in no way supporting political argument I kept in related to the thread, thats simply my opinion on what post z day society would look like. I see it being a kinda of reset with small communities which farm for the most part. I leave the macro social stuff out of it from here on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I honestly don't know how in Ireland you would have a chance of securing a weapon more powerful than a farmer's rifle and I would doubt the risk would be worth it. I would assume the best weapons to be in the most dangerous locations, as that's where the previous owners would have been deployed.

Ireland is rural enough to make avoidance a far more efficient strategy I think.

Although in my case I don't live in Ireland and there is a gun shop on the street that I work, so if the first signs of trouble occur while I am in work I would head there straight away to buy a rifle if I hadn't bought one already, then I would flee to the countryside location I also work and try to apply my technical knowledge in my new role :-)

I honestly don't know how in Ireland you would have a chance of securing a weapon more powerful than a farmer's rifle

I could see so army weapons becoming available as **** goes bad also there are a few arms dumps around Ireland,

realistically anything better the a .308 would be no use to most people, (having an AK but no practice is not a good thing) plenty hunting rifles and old enfields about

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭pompeyboi

If ur trying to find something with a little more firepower during the apoc then Perhaps a raid on a local Garda armoury? I know it's a long shot but if u got there early enough into the outbreak and new exactly where to go once inside the building then you should get yourself something handy with a good amount of ammo. Getting weapons from the army would be near impossible unless u stole from them which would prove extremely difficult, if there was less of them then u and a few of u had guns then you could maybe force them to hand over their shiny Steyrs but thats unlikely. As far as firearms go, you'd have to make-do with ur .22's and shotguns from ur nearest gun shop or farmer. Unless u get lucky or try one of the above ^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

pompeyboi wrote: »
    If ur trying to find something with a little more firepower during the apoc then Perhaps a raid on a local Garda armoury?
    Armed guards are few and far between, There's only a handful in Galway from what I know but I doubt they'd have a huge stock of ammo seeing as they don't get to see much action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Plus, the idea of wresting arms from the guards or the army is kind of naive.

Either they're going to be holed up, with their guns, bugged out, with their guns and everything else they can carry, or fallen to infection, in an urban area, which I for one won't be going near in the kind of force needed to secure a location for long enough to break into an armoury.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Kromdar

you have more chance of getting weapons from the army than the gardai. afaik the armed gardai have their weapons on them or in the car for the most part, and yes, you can bet on day one they'll gear up and bring what they can with them. you also run across the difficulty of having them locked up in a safe.

i can't say what the army might have but i would guess that they would have more guns than people in their bases, and a large quantity of ammo.

i dont suppose army lads who might frequent here could shed some light on it? though i suppose its against some army code to tell civvys where they keep the guns.

i wonder how welcoming the army would be if you approached their camp with supplies? the irish army that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,428 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Anything the DF have would be locked up tight, they don't just throw them in a press.

The average person here would be incapable of using anything the DF/Gardai have anyway, firearms aren't just point and shoot. Unless the person can actually use a firearm correctly they would just piss away the limited amount ammo they would have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Kromdar wrote: »
    i dont suppose army lads who might frequent here could shed some light on it? though i suppose its against some army code to tell civvys where they keep the guns.

i wonder how welcoming the army would be if you approached their camp with supplies? the irish army that is.

Nope you won't find any info on storage of army equipment online or from anyone in the army. But needless to say, along with Garda armouries you won't just stroll into to any secure building and find guns in lockers. If not being used they'll be locked away.

So if you want a steyr or an MP7 you'll have to pick it up off a zombified soldier (bastards would be hard to kill) as will more than likely be wearing body armour. bhbser.jpg

The Irish army would more than likely be very accommodating based on the character of the organization. Also most barracks bar the ones smack bang in the middle of cities are in ideal locations for defence and survival. Only problem that may happen is that inevitably soldiers would want to get home to protect their families. I'd imagine that authorities would counter this by establishing safe zones that families could move to.

The films always paint a dire picture in post apocalyptic scenario, the military would have a secure zones established quite quickly. There is very little that will stop an 18 tonne APC from getting to where it needs to go. In reality for a country like Ireland the establishment and security of a "safe zone" would not be a big issue. A well established and disciplined force could effectively defend an area that has been prepped and thought through quite easily for as long as supplies could be maintained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

I think all of that really depends on transmission rates. Pulling this out of my ass here but I'd imagine the armed forces, particularly in places like Ireland where they can be used for civil purposes without any major controversy, would be hit earlier and harder than the gen pop. They'd be part of the front line, along with the emergency services and medical personnel.

That could be a whole other thread though, what kind of percentage death/reanimation rates would bring about the complete breakdown of society. Virulence, method of spreading, would all feed into that.

I think it was Spanish flu that killed 50m in 1916 or so? That had a relatively low transmission rate but a high fatality rate. Most of the movies/comics etc seem to aiming much higher. Higher transmission and 100% fatality but I'm not sure if that'd be realistic from just manual transmission bites scratches etc.

If 'Plague Inc.' taught me anything it's that high fatality rates make a virus burn itself out much quicker than it can transmit to a new host. The scare factor also comes into play with a high fatality rate, people take extra precautions to prevent infection and can stop it in it's tracks through isolation.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

i would say leader... but who knows.

My in-laws have a farm out west with cattle, so i would say i'd bring my family there, the FIL is well armed though i'd need to learn without using too much ammo.

My wife is one of 6 daughters so defence would primarily be myself and the FIL who's getting on a bit and probably my brother if he came along. the only other boyfriend/husband couldnt peel a potato so he'd be useless.

My in-laws have a farm out west with cattle, so i would say i'd bring my family there, the FIL is well armed though i'd need to learn without using too much ammo.

My wife is one of 6 daughters so defence would primarily be myself and the FIL who's getting on a bit and probably my brother if he came along. the only other boyfriend/husband couldnt peel a potato so he'd be useless.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyudmila_Pavlichenko

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

you've havent seen my SIL's, unfortunately the fact that they wont be near somewhere that serves fast food will likely mean they'll all become babbling and incoherent shells.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Seriously? Even if your SIL's have traditional roles in a "normal" society and can peel a potato, don't write them all off if it came down to an apocalypse situation. If it came down to survival, you'd be surprised how many women can be defenders when the situation calls for it.

Instead of just relying on your FIL who's getting on a bit, there must be more than one SIL who would be more interested in defending the family than hiding and hoping that the males protect them?

My first thought in an apocalyptic situation would be to divide groups according to strength, rather than gender. I know that traditionally men fulfill the protection roll, but if I had six women I wouldn't count them out.

Now if they are six women who are afraid of breaking their nails and run screaming from a walker rather than taking it down, then I can see were you are coming from. But lets face it, if society has broken down to the point where walkers are a serious threat, I would fear for any ladies who were relying on a man to keep them safe or have serious reservations about any man would didn't consider a woman an asset.

Basically when the **** hits the apocalyptic fan, it doesn't matter if you are male or female. Either you can defend yourself or not. Obviously males have the advantage with them having naturally more body strength but females such as Michonne, Maggie, Carol, Beth, Tasha etc have shown that when the situation calls for it, they can do their part.

If I was ever in an apocalyptic situation and I had only six females with me, instead of thinking that I had to protect them, I would be strategically planning with them, how to survive the situation.

Advertisement