Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jurassic World

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Liam O wrote: »
    With extra dinosaurs obviously.

Rise of the Planet of the Dinosaurs!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Please dont suck! Please dont suck! Please dont suck! Please dont suck! Please dont suck! Please dont suck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Worst case scenario there will be some dinosaurs. I'm in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Goldstein wrote: »

228166960-11121045.jpg

Yeah, I'm gonna need you to keep that optimism.

Worst case scenario is a lot worse than a film "with dinosaurs in."

Goldstein wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Colin Trevorrow now confirmed as the director. Interesting choice.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,139 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Well thats a surprise. Will be interesting to see what he does with it.

Wow. definitely wasn't expecting him to be picked. Gotta check out Safety Not Guaranteed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,021 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Wow surprise choice going with an unknown even though I did enjoy Safety Not Guaranteed so be interesting to see how he does

Liz, you should change your username to JP Liz IV.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hmmm, could be interesting, though I didn't think there wasn't anything particularly unique or noteworthy about the directing in Safety..., plus I'm a bit cagey about small-time directors getting propelled into a marquee blockbuster like this, it can go a bit wrong sometimes. Still though, better to give an up-comer a chance than hand the reigns over to a rent-a-hack.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,139 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

pixelburp wrote: »
    Hmmm, could be interesting, though I didn't think there wasn't anything particularly unique or noteworthy about the directing in Safety..., plus I'm a bit cagey about small-time directors getting propelled into a marquee blockbuster like this, it can go a bit wrong sometimes. Still though, better to give an up-comer a chance than hand the reigns over to a rent-a-hack.

The danger is the studio could be hiring him because it will be easy for them to get their way with how they want the film to be. David Fincher and Alien 3 spring to mind.

Hope not though.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,021 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Galvasean wrote: »
    Liz, you should change your username to JP Liz IV.

You calling me a dinosaur :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Wow. definitely wasn't expecting him to be picked. Gotta check out Safety Not Guaranteed now.

One of my favourite movies. Such a gem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The danger is the studio could be hiring him because it will be easy for them to get their way with how they want the film to be. David Fincher and Alien 3 spring to mind.

Exactly the first thing I thought of too. He'd be better off walking now and keep building his profile/career steadily.

I'd rather see the movie in the hands of a 'newbie' than a 'jobber'. I mean, we could have gotten John Moore, Michael Bay or Joe Johnston (again)....

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'd rather see the movie in the hands of a 'newbie' than a 'jobber'. I mean, we could have gotten John Moore, Michael Bay or Joe Johnston (again)....

hey you leave Michael Bay out of the Moore/Johnston comparison, a hack he may be but he's at least got the visual flair thing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Jacks Smirking Revenge

krudler wrote: »
    hey you leave Michael Bay out of the Moore/Johnston comparison, a hack he may be but he's at least got the visual flair thing down.

Yeah, but if Micheal Bay was at the helm you'd be damn sure there'd be a dinosaur testicles gag.. or three.

That said, Bay for a Dino-Riders movie could be fun...

*gets pen*

Yeah, but if Micheal Bay was at the helm you'd be damn sure there'd be a dinosaur testicles gag.. or three.

That reminds me, there WAS a bit in the Lost World book where a T. rex humped one of the vehicles...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

That said, Bay for a Dino-Riders movie could be fun...

*gets pen*

there aren't nearly enough dinosaur related blockbusters these days anyway.

krudler wrote: »
    there aren't nearly enough dinosaur related blockbusters these days anyway.

Who needs blockbusters when you have films such as this:

WANT!

When's that out? On DVD I assume?

WANT!

When's that out? On DVD I assume?

Think it's out in July but has already leaked. Expect it to show up on the SyFy channel sometime soon.

Looks like jolly good fun!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ah now, Johnston doesn't deserve to be lumped in with a hack like Moore; Captain America was fun, and had a lot in common with Johnston's The Rocketeer so he gets a definite pass in my book. I can also forgive him for The Wolfman as the production of that was something of a trainwreck (and didn't really deserve the kicking it got anyway). Plus, I thought JP3 was much more fun and structured than The Lost World...

Flicking through this thread though, I'm reminded that this picture already has a release date and 3D as a prerequisite, so my cynic senses are tingling & suspect Trevorrow won't have much creative control on this vehicle.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Ah now, Johnston doesn't deserve to be lumped in with a hack like Moore; Captain America was fun,

Didn't realise J.J. did Captain America. Massive redemption so.

As a side note, I am amazed that quite a few people seem to prefer Jurassic Park 3 to TLW. JP3 really is an awful piece of filmmaking.

As a side note, I am amazed that quite a few people seem to prefer Jurassic Park 3 to TLW. JP3 really is an awful piece of filmmaking.

Along with Cap and the brilliant Rocketeer he also made October Sky which wasn't a bad film either. I wouldn't consider him a hack at all, though JP3 was pants.

I guess I wrote him off after making Jp3, Hidalgo and The Wolfman in that order - a bad decade.

• Advertisement

Admittedly, it has been a long time since I saw both sequels, but I seem to recall enjoying the grim tone & atmosphere of #3, along with the more straightforward plotting; Lost World felt like Spielberg on autopilot, a hack-job adaptation of the novel (which itself wasn't great, true) and a film that somehow made a T-Rex rampage through San Diego feel dull & pedestrian.
    I also remember the irritating child character managing to somersault-kick a raptor through a wall, so that's enough reason to hate on #2 ;)

Advertisement