Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Underground Ireland

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

and there is that river that runs under the front garden of some people in mount argos

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Steak

starn wrote:
    I have also heared that tunnells extend out on to grafton St from the basement of some of the stores
    I don't know if this is what you're talking about but if you go downstairs in Burger King on Grafton Street (the one near Boots), you can see that it extends a good bit out underneath the street! I'm sure you can notice this in other shops/restaurants on Grafton Street too!
    starn wrote:
    Its true, I've been down there. But wont recommended it. It's very dangerous.
    in what way is it dangerous?

apparently there are tunnels stretching from St.Patrick's College in Cavan into the town to beneath the Courthouse! I'm not sure how true this is though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

There's a tunnel from Dalkey which (apparently) runs under the sea to Dalkey island, or at least used to. There's certainly somekind of tunnel there (I've seen it and been in it), but where as to where it goes I haven't the foggiest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I can't believe nobody has mentioned St. Anne's park in Raheny, Dublin yet.

there are tunnells underneath the park, altough i think they are collapsing. apparently they were built for the people working in the Guinness house (long gone) in the park. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

julep wrote:
    there are rumours of a tunnel from Leixlip castle to St. Mary's church in Leiclip village. don't know if it's true though.
    i do recall there being a tunnel entrance at the back of the church when i was a kid, but that has since been filled over.
    probably a suburban legend

Yeah, the church is undergoing refurbishment at the moment, so might be a good time to get permission for exploration..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i also read on the irish architecture website that there is a lot of service tunnels between the north & south docks at grand canal quay, those tunnels that were mentioned in st. annes park sound cool, i might go exploring the next time im in raheny with the granny, and speaking of granny's she told me earlier that there was an air raid shelter and tunnels in ballybough, the tunnels leading from the air raid shelter to laurence o'tooles church in east wall

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

I have heard of tunnels under Lynch's Castle (AIB) on Shop street in Galway..

Also, there is a tunnel underneath Anthony Ryan's on shop street...it goes under the alleyway between the mens's and the ladies's shops...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

DonalN wrote:
    I have heard of tunnels under Lynch's Castle (AIB) on Shop street in Galway..

Also, there is a tunnel underneath Anthony Ryan's on shop street...it goes under the alleyway between the mens's and the ladies's shops...

How do I get into these tunnels?

Does Anthony Ryan own the rights to the tunnel? ie. have access

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

I remember quite a few years ago some old Dublin writer friend of mine telling me about a group of writers and mystics (George William Russell and his ilk) who would have occult meeting in the catacombs under Dublin city center. Apparently there was all sorts of strange goings on in this maze of underground tunnels.

How much of this story is true is hard to ascertain because there are no records. As a result I became really interested in the Dublin catacombs although I never managed to turn up anything online. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread and see if it unearths anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭legologic

As someone mentioned earlier Pat Liddy's Hidden Dublin Series would be a great place to start. He's a well known and well regarded Dublin historian so he'd probably be able to give you more than just rumors and some actual good quality places to start checking out.

Also If you stand at Parnell monument and look south there are two black bollards that look like bins but only have small vent holes drilled on them. These are apparently vents for an tunnel under O'Connel St.

They can be seen in this picture on the bottom right hand side of the pillar
    parnell_monument_2004.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,240 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There is a pedestrian tunnel under James's Street for Guinness.
    admiralgar wrote:
    there is a tunnel linking the pro cathedral in dublin to westland row church beside pearse train station (also in dublin)
    I'm wondering if someone told you a story on that one.

Victor wrote:
    There is a pedestrian tunnel under James's Street for Guinness.

I'm wondering if someone told you a story on that one.

yeah victor, my mothers boyfriend told me, i presumed it was true

The vast majority of these aren't "tunnels". With most city centre sites the building owner owns to the centre of the street. In fact, what one sees as a basement, isn't a basement, but you are standing on an elevated street. Typically the arches under the street were coal cellars.

In addition, older sewers tended to be just big enough for a man to fit - for unblock purposes. :eek:
    jackdaw wrote:
    I heard there is a tunnel connecting Connelly station and Heuston station,
    The Phoenix Park Tunnel.
    Red Alert wrote:
    The administration in UCD appear to downplay the existence of the tunnels as much as possible, leading me to believe that they are in fact all there.
    They are service tunnels from the boiler building to the rest of the campus, nothing too exciting.
    liamo wrote:
    There were rumours of a tunnel from the Island to the mainland somewhere but I can't remember where it was supposed to terminate.
    No, it was a timber walkway.
    Didn't read all the thread but there's a tunnel running from Booterstown beach up towards St. Andrews College.
    Are you sure it wasn't just a drain / stream culvert?
    and there is that river that runs under the front garden of some people in mount argos
    The River Poddle, from Tallaght to Temple Bar.
    admiralgar wrote:
    i also read on the irish architecture website that there is a lot of service tunnels between the north & south docks at grand canal quay
    These wer very short from teh quayside to the warehouses on the otherside of the road. It cut don't on pilferage and the need to interact with traffic.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

In St. Annes park theres a tunnel from where the house used to be to the park depot (the old servents' house) so that the Guinness family didn't have to see the servents. It's not open at the moment, so i doubt you'd be able to get into it. I think there are plans for refurbishment though.

And for some reason my next door neighbour built a bunker for protection during the war. It's filled in now (i think) but i did see it once, it was full with water. Weird though.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Think they're filled in now, but there used to be pill boxes near shannon airport to cover the runway during ww2. Had / has a tunnel connecting two of them, was in them when I was younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Guinness at St James' Gate apparently has a fairly extensive underground network of tunnels that were used way back when.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Cork, originally being canalled like Venice, is full of archwork, and stonework undernearth the main streets, and is probably Tunnel Nirvana. I would imagine the only way to access them is to brave the extremely large sewer pipes at low tide on the river. The residual evidence of canal structures is all over the Southmall, with elevated steps leading to premises, and boathouse entrances underneath the steps.

I'm also aware of a tunnel in Cork, which ran from Red Abbey (The tiny tower on Red Abbey Street that used to be a small church) to North Abbey (The other tower near Mount Sion Road) for evacuation purposes of Priests, etc. I would imagine it's more or less destroyed now by extensive housing developments in the area.

This is an amazing thread though, keep it up! I would love to get into that abandoned Air Shelter in O'Connell St. I got into the old Public Bathhouse in Cork City before they demolished it, and as it had never been really used, it was like a time machine. I can only imagine the same being true if by using this thread, we all found something lost over time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Great stuff. I've always been interested in hidden history like this.

As someone already mentioned, there is apparently some kind of underground tunnel/catacombs under St. Michan's Church.

I used to work at the airport and always heard that rumour about an underground tunnel for future Metro purposes, but never confirmed it. There is a door to the far right in the Arrivals Hall, and I asked someone what was behind it and was told that it might lead there, but that could've been spoofing.
    When I worked there, I worked night shift with a downtime of 3-4 hours, so I'd just wander around airside. Not a tunnel, but underneath the baggage hall is another unused baggage hall. Don't know if it's ever been used, or if it's there for future passenger growth, but it's kinda eerie down there. It's completely dead but the lights and TV screens are all on. Like I said, it's not really a tunnel. The entrance is probably viewable from the A Gates. It's a road leading underground.

Even though I had security clearance for these places, I sometimes felt uneasy about being caught in places I wasn't really supposed to be (there's security cameras everywhere too) like the hangars and other empty corridors and stairwells.

To the original poster, have you any pictures to share from your adventures? They'd be real interesting, especially the sewers. Not quite the same, but I remember seeing a documentary about Alexandria's sewers where they just re-used parts of older buildings (with a lot of sculpturing) to build the structures. I doubt Dublin is anything like that, but I'd like to see it anyway.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

I can see it now... the boards urban potholing club / forum
    also

Pat Liddy's Dublin walking tours. He might know a thing or two, according to him there are underground tunnels and an air raid shelter in merrion square.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

Tom65 wrote:
    There's a tunnel from Dalkey which (apparently) runs under the sea to Dalkey island, or at least used to. There's certainly somekind of tunnel there (I've seen it and been in it), but where as to where it goes I haven't the foggiest.

it goes from the back of Loretto Dalkey to dalkey island. I think it colappsed in half way through. I remember being down there about 15 years ago.

I've also heard of a tunnell going from Booterstown down to the coast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

In Galway, there was an underground tunnel from Galway train station out to Woodquay where the train line went over embankments. These embankments are still there as are the remains of the bridge over the Corrib. It was closed in the 1930's

I did a history video of this back in college. You still see the beginning of the tunnel if you go along that path beside the train station which leads to Renmore.

The tunnel was destroyed when the Radisson was built as that hotel and the Fairgreen Hotel are basically built into the side of a hill.

There's a large launderette in Bohermore and part of the tunnel runs under it. I seem to remember the City Council blocked the owners from altering the site they owned.
    You can see old photos of the train tunnel if you go into Park House Hotel.

Great thread, keep it up.

ned78 wrote:
    I'm also aware of a tunnel in Cork, which ran from Red Abbey (The tiny tower on Red Abbey Street that used to be a small church) to North Abbey (The other tower near Mount Sion Road) for evacuation purposes of Priests, etc. I would imagine it's more or less destroyed now by extensive housing developments in the area.
    I think you are much mistaken.

http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/corkimages/camera_club-red.shtml

http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/corkimages/camera_club-callanans.shtml
    This is an amazing thread though, keep it up! I would love to get into that abandoned Air Shelter in O'Connell St.
    Its not there anymore.
    I got into the old Public Bathhouse in Cork City before they demolished it, and as it had never been really used, it was like a time machine. I can only imagine the same being true if by using this thread, we all found something lost over time!
    On Eglinton Street?
    Exit wrote:
    I used to work at the airport and always heard that rumour about an underground tunnel for future Metro purposes, but never confirmed it. There is a door to the far right in the Arrivals Hall, and I asked someone what was behind it and was told that it might lead there, but that could've been spoofing.
    I think they were spoofing
    When I worked there, I worked night shift with a downtime of 3-4 hours, so I'd just wander around airside. Not a tunnel, but underneath the baggage hall is another unused baggage hall. Don't know if it's ever been used, or if it's there for future passenger growth, but it's kinda eerie down there. It's completely dead but the lights and TV screens are all on. Like I said, it's not really a tunnel. The entrance is probably viewable from the A Gates. It's a road leading underground.
    The basement is being converted into a new check-in area for Ryanair.
    andrew wrote:
    Pat Liddy's Dublin walking tours. He might know a thing or two, according to him there are underground tunnels and an air raid shelter in merrion square.
    That, you might need to have security clearance for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

if i'm not mistaken was that shelter on o connell street not turned into a public/junkie toilet before it was taken out altogether?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Was the beginning of this tunnel between the station, and the walk-way leading out over Lough Atalia? Is ther eanything left on the Woodquay side?

And most importantly, can it be accessed? ;)
    micmclo wrote:
    In Galway, there was an underground tunnel from Galway train station out to Woodquay where the train line went over embankments. These embankments are still there as are the remains of the bridge over the Corrib. It was closed in the 1930's

I did a history video of this back in college. You still see the beginning of the tunnel if you go along that path beside the train station which leads to Renmore.

The tunnel was destroyed when the Radisson was built as that hotel and the Fairgreen Hotel are basically built into the side of a hill.

There's a large launderette in Bohermore and part of the tunnel runs under it. I seem to remember the City Council blocked the owners from altering the site they owned.
    You can see old photos of the train tunnel if you go into Park House Hotel.

Great thread, keep it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Victor wrote:

Sorry Victor, I can't see anything in your post that contradicts mine. There was indeed a tunnel under Red Abbey (According to the people living there, and Kieran McCarthy, Cork Historian), and while the tower in your second link isn't of monastic origin, there was indeed a tower close to Greenmount that it was supposed to link to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Cracking thread this, I have just spent the past 45 mins reading it and I'm not even usually into anything like this. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭redmosquito

There are a couple of known tunnels beneath Castlebar.
    There is one from the courthouse to what is now the motor tax office. It used to be a prison or some kind of place for keeping prisoners before trial and the tunnel was used to bring them to court. I think its closed off now though.

There is a tunnel leading from the old graveyard to the lake in the town. I know the start point for the tunnel in the graveyard (which is blocked) but have yet to find whereabouts it cmes out at the lake.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,250 ✭✭✭✭fits

There is a tunnel under Thomas street linking the Guinness sites. I've been in it, its also pictured in the brewhouse series advert ( I think it has featured in more than one ad actually)
    I went on an engineering tour of Guinness once and was brought up to the top of one of their buildings to see the whole process from beginning to end. It was so so interesting.

i used to work in the cross bar in harolds cross, there is a tunnel from the cellar out the back of the pub to the house beside the bookies, the owners of the pub a long time ago owned the house

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Bateman wrote:
    Cracking thread this, I have just spent the past 45 mins reading it and I'm not even usually into anything like this. :eek:
    Sedonded.

Very, very interesting reading.

This is why I love Boards tbh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement