Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Swifts need our help

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

I meant from a Wildlife Act point of view rather than a noise pollution one?

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

oh, as in disturbing birds by playing lures? Puffins have been lured to the Copeland Islands by using lure calls. Sand martin calls are being used to lure sand martins to artificial banks.

I'll ask NIEA and RSPB what are their opinions

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Oh I'm 100% sure they're legal - but you might need a license to play them? In the republic you might need to get in touch with the NPWS and get a license from them, to make sure you're using it responsibly etc? I don't think it'd be hard to get a license, just think it's worthwhile to get people to follow the procedure if necessary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Khalil Hissing Steamboat

My understanding, and I am out of the swing of things for a while admittedly, was that something like this requiredna licence in this jurisdiction There is a risk that it would interfere with the normal activity of swifts in the area by using scarce resources investigating and possibly defending against the heard but unseen suitor. But I could be completely wrong on this.

Edit: see post #23 from 2011.

The breeders in my colony rarely react to the lure calls being played but when non breeders arrive and start banging the residence do defend their nest by duetting. This happens naturally at all swift nest sites.

We do know that breeders don't get lured away from their nest sites to start nesting in nest boxes unless they have lost that site due to the hole being blocked

• Advertisement

Right - let's give it the benefit of the doubt and say that using Swift calls to attract Swifts to nestboxes does require a license in the ROI and probably NI, and anyone thinking of using them should get in touch with their local ranger or the relevant licensing department as soon as possible if they're thinking of using Swift calls.

The reply from the people who played puffin calls is they didn't require a license even though their calling system was funded by the Northern Ireland Environment Agency.

The RSPB plays calls at their Belfast and Sandy HQs

A reply from a contact in England says
    "Under the terms of theWildlife Act, it is illegal to wilfully disturb nesting birds. Under Englishlaw, whether playing Swift calls in the vicinity of nesting birds constitutes adisturbance of a hazardous nature would only be established after a test case.All the evidence is that nesting birds are not in the least disturbed by the callsof other nesting pairs, whether real or recorded."

Thanks for that. If you hear definitively about the rules in the ROI from the NPWS please let us know too. I suspect a license from the NPWS it is needed here, but I'm open to correction

Swifts are arriving in Italy! The first will soon be arriving in Ireland - well two weeks

In the last two days 9 swifts have been seen at the south end of Lough Neagh at Oxford Island nature reserve

• Advertisement

I was talking to an old mate in NWPS this morning who has looked in to this and playing Swift calls is now allowed and even actively encouraged. :)

well that's good to know. How could it ever be policed across Europe

well that's good to know. How could it ever be policed across Europe

I don't know why you ask about Europe. This was an Irish thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Chisler2

I was talking to an old mate in NWPS this morning who has looked in to this and playing Swift calls is now allowed and even actively encouraged. :)

Any chance I could inveigle them into high-rise nest-boxes on a windy promontory adjacent to the Atlantic? Warm enough (south sloping land) when the sun shines but do they settle/would they thrive in a mountainy place? btw where is the CD available?

Just saying really if it was illegal in Ireland it could be illegal across Europe

"Any chance I could inveigle them into high-rise nest-boxes on a windy promontory adjacent to the Atlantic? Warm enough (south sloping land) when the sun shines but do they settle/would they thrive in a mountainy place? btw where is the CD available?"

Do you mean stacked nest boxes or nest boxes on a black of flats/apartments? Either way the answer is yes. Build it and they will come provided calls are played to lure the non breeders.

Where do you live? If there are swifts in your nearest town you should be able to attract them.

Just remember they ideally like a clear way in and out and a 5m drop. I do know of a few pairs that nest down an ally just wide enough to get a car through.

Swift calls are available from me

http://saveourswifts.co.uk/
    http://saveourswifts.co.uk/attractswifts.htm

"Any chance I could inveigle them into high-rise nest-boxes on a windy promontory adjacent to the Atlantic? Warm enough (south sloping land) when the sun shines but do they settle/would they thrive in a mountainy place? btw where is the CD available?"

Do you mean stacked nest boxes or nest boxes on a black of flats/apartments? Either way the answer is yes. Build it and they will come provided calls are played to lure the non breeders.

Where do you live? If there are swifts in your nearest town you should be able to attract them.

Just remember they ideally like a clear way in and out and a 5m drop. I do know of a few pairs that nest down an ally just wide enough to get a car through.

Swift calls are available from me

http://saveourswifts.co.uk/
    http://saveourswifts.co.uk/attractswifts.htm

The potential home is about thirteen acres at elevation 1,500 feet in the mountains in West Mayo, so plenty of space to come in and out without obstruction. Following your recommendation I thought to erect a tall sturdy pole with a dozen boxes. The nearest nests are probably church buildings Louisburgh (3 miles, Westport 10 miles away). Is that too far for the lure to work? If the swifts are already back in Ireland I've missed the chance for this spring, no?

"The potential home is about thirteen acres at elevation 1,500 feet in the mountains in West Mayo, so plenty of space to come in and out without obstruction. Following your recommendation I thought to erect a tall sturdy pole with a dozen boxes. The nearest nests are probably church buildings Louisburgh (3 miles, Westport 10 miles away). Is that too far for the lure to work? If the swifts are already back in Ireland I've missed the chance for this spring, no?"

I don't see any problems.

Are you going to make your own pole and boxes or buy one? There is a company in N Ireland making 8 and 20 chamber swift towers
    http://saveourswifts.co.uk/stoneyford.htm

Only the very early swifts are back. I don't expect my breeding birds to start arriving home until the first week of May.

You'll be trying to attract non breeders and those that have reached breeding age. Swifts will never leave their nest site no matter how poor for a nice nest box - unless they lose that site while they are gone

some towers

A German one
    Tesco in Crumlin, N Ireland
    A small one in a Primary school

One more tower on the shores of Lough Neagh

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Wow! Amazing job and just shows that even modern buildings can be adapted.

I like this one a lot........less "odd looking" than the gizmos perched up there! The entrance-holes could be cut into the sides of hay-barns and outbuildings, and the activities of the swifts not intrude at all on use. Terrific idea........thank you!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭kinklee7

Interesting article on Mooney today about Swifts and using calls etc. About 25 mins in to todays show.
    I am not allowed to post a link but its mooney at rte.ie

kinklee7 wrote: »
    Interesting article on Mooney today about Swifts and using calls etc. About 25 mins in to todays show.
    I am not allowed to post a link but its mooney at rte.ie

Thanks for that. I can find the Mooney page but not the listen again for todays show. Maybe there is a delay.
    http://www.rte.ie/radio1/mooney/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭kinklee7

Thanks for that. I can find the Mooney page but not the listen again for todays show. Maybe there is a delay.
    http://www.rte.ie/radio1/mooney/
    The show only finished at 4.30 so give it an hour or 2 and todays show will be up. As an afterthought do you think all the info was accurate ? Let me know when you listen. Thanks
    Up Now about 25 mins in http://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=9%3A10275138%3A82%3A25%2D04%2D2014%3A

Everything he said was accurate. Couldn't find any faults

This evening at 20.50 my first swift arrived back in its nest box and waddled straight to its nest

Swifts are usually back here by the 1st week in May but I have not sighted one as yet. Here's hoping the next week brings something.

• Advertisement

Swifts are usually back here by the 1st week in May but I have not sighted one as yet. Here's hoping the next week brings something.

first birds arriving back at my colony have been on these dates
    6/5/2009
    3/5/2010
    3/5/2011
    10/5/2012
    7/5/13 - three arrive within minutes of each other
    2/5/2013

That makes an average of 5th May

Advertisement