Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

mattser wrote: »
    Am I imagining it, or do these French ATC people do this every year ? I don't recall hearing much about their counterparts in Spain, Germany, etc.

Spanish did it in 2009, causing me a long delay from Fez to Dusseldorf.

Anyone know when this striking will end, out of curiousity?

The oul fella was supposed to be going to Spain/Salou (Reus) tomorrow, but they cancelled. Rescheduled it to Saturday instead, but I don't know if that's just more false hope?

According to a quick google, which linked me to this

http://www.airtrafficmanagement.net/2015/04/threat-of-french-industrial-action-lifted/

The striking for 16-18th has been called off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭georgem25

According to a quick google, which linked me to this

http://www.airtrafficmanagement.net/2015/04/threat-of-french-industrial-action-lifted/

The striking for 16-18th has been called off.

The strike on April 29 to May 2 now cancelled too

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/french-airtraffic-strike-planned-industrial-action-called-off-10186151.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

There's nothing random about Ryanair's free "random" allocated seating policy. It's all very carefully allocated in a particular order. (You can check it by doing regular mock bookings as if you were going to book a seat, within 7 days of flying, and seeing how the seating allocation develops as people check in on-line over time.)

Check in 7 days and 2 hours before your flight and get the very back seats (row 33) free (as long as no one else has bought them) and be out the back door first.

If you just miss this, you'll be allocated rows just behind the middle exit doors. If you're a sensible looking bloke travelling on his own or part of a couple, there's a high chance you'll be asked if you want to sit by the exit doors.

There's no need to pay to get good seats at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,968 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Spot on, I checked in 1 day before the flight and got 3A & B free for me an my wife, priority boarding as well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

There's nothing random about Ryanair's free "random" allocated seating policy. It's all very carefully allocated in a particular order. (You can check it by doing regular mock bookings as if you were going to book a seat, within 7 days of flying, and seeing how the seating allocation develops as people check in on-line over time.)

Check in 7 days and 2 hours before your flight and get the very back seats (row 33) free (as long as no one else has bought them) and be out the back door first.

If you just miss this, you'll be allocated rows just behind the middle exit doors. If you're a sensible looking bloke travelling on his own or part of a couple, there's a high chance you'll be asked if you want to sit by the exit doors.

There's no need to pay to get good seats at all.

indeed you are correct here, as a regular flier mostly on my own i can vouch for this.

they are still telling porkies though about being on time, yesterdays flight took off 35 minutes late yet they announced welcome to Dublin 5 minutes ahead of schedule, cue laughter from pax.:D

although to be fair they do appeared to have improved in recent times, i went through a phase of just refusing to fly with them after one nightmare too many,but took one flight and it went ok and have had no trouble since (touch wood)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

jonnny68 wrote: »
    they are still telling porkies though about being on time, yesterdays flight took off 35 minutes late yet they announced welcome to Dublin 5 minutes ahead of schedule, cue laughter from pax.:D

There are many occasions where they take off late and are still early, but I guess 35 mins would be pushing it!

although to be fair they do appeared to have improved in recent times, i went through a phase of just refusing to fly with them after one nightmare too many,but took one flight and it went ok and have had no trouble since (touch wood)

What was the flight number?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

You need to have a boarding car now? That seems a bit extreme :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

fr336 wrote: »
    You need to have a boarding car now? That seems a bit extreme :eek:
    Aer Lingus used to fly Carvairs, but I don't Ryanair ever did.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

The takeoff time is irrelevant.

Did they land ahead of schedule?

That depends. Ryanair usually (or used to) announce that they landed on time. Not sure what they say nowadays.

I believe arrival time means time the plane stopped at the gate. That's what's used by the US BTS and I think the EU denied boarding regulations.

But obviously "welcome to Dublin" is vague enough not to have any real definition.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Depends on how far you were flying and if there was a tailwind it's quite possible

In fairness so do Aer Lingus.

Wheels touch the ground at Schiphol and its "Ladies and Gentlemen, Welcome to Amsterdam"

If they land on that runway that's across the motorway its a 15-20 minute taxi back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Pretty certain this applies with the new Ryanair Mobile app.

Makes it cheaper, less time, less staff.

Why should I pay for someone to sit there and check in other people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Yeah what cheeky bastards having to use your own phone. And you know what? You have to use your own bags as well! Its madness Joe! The last time i flew with them I bought a gin and tonic and you know what they did? Bleedin charged me for it! Its austerity gone mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭joeysoap

just back from Faro with Ryanair. We booked seats in advance and also priority as there was a baby with us and we wanted to sit together. Yesterday in Faro they called passengers to the gate at approx 16:05 for a 16:55 departure. There was still a few passengers in the drop bag queue at that time. Anyway we proceeded to gate B56 at approx 16.20 and the boarding area was pretty full when we arrived. After a wait of approx 10 mins they called priority boarding and we passed through boarding and out onto the tarmac, where we formed a kind of a queue. Except both doors on the aircraft were closed, with steps to the rear door only in place. And there were left waiting for the next 15 minutes in the blazing sun, with a 9 month old baby, with only a little sheet of muslin for protection from the sun. After we were there for about five mins the crew arrived from the main building behind us, and proceeded to the aircraft, after about another 5 mins the front door was opened and steps were let down out of the aircraft and after approx another 5 we were allowed to board. So 15 minutes left standing like ejeets on the tarmac in the sun. We took off at 17.15 - 20 mins late. The flight was fine, the Portuguese crew were excellent and of course we got the blast of 'music' when we landed in dublin between 19:50/19:55.

I dont mind Ryanair, but to say they have changed their spots is not entirely true. Their aim yesterday was to get everybody into the loading bay early, to get everybody out of the loading bay early and to hell with the fact that the doors of the plane were closed and no crew were on board to embark passengers. In that sense the leopard has not changed it spots. We are and probably always be just statistics. If they were aware the crew were not on board (and they have a dispatcher or 'red cap' in charge on the ground,) why were we called to pass through the boarding gate at approx 16.30? Maybe I am wrong but I don't think Aer Lingus have ever called anybody to board an aircraft with no crew on board and left them standing at the foot of the aircraft with closed doors and looking like lemmings.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

joeysoap wrote: »
    And there were left waiting for the next 15 minutes in the blazing sun, with a 9 month old baby, with only a little sheet of muslin for protection from the sun.

Ryanair and many other operators have a short turnaround time to maximise the efficiency of their planes. This involves having the passengers lined up and waiting to board when the plane is ready rather than having the plane ready before the gate is opened.

You will often see at many airports and with many airlines, the passengers going through the gate before the plane has even arrived, or if it has, before the other passengers have finished disembarking. I have personally seen this with Ryanair, Easyjet and yes even Aer Lingus have people standing outside while the plane isn't ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

joeysoap wrote: »
    just back from Faro with Ryanair. We booked seats in advance and also priority as there was a baby with us and we wanted to sit together.

No need for Priority if you have Booked seats. Just sit back and relax, board towards the end and your Booked seats are waiting for you. ;)

What was the flight number?

jaysus i dont keep track of flight numbers mate :pac::D

Just wondering because I could not see any Leeds Bradford to Dublin flight on the 19th that was 35 minutes late

'they are still telling porkies though about being on time, yesterdays flight took off 35 minutes late'

http://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/fr157/#64c508d

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,505 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Kat1170 wrote: »
    No need for Priority if you have Booked seats. Just sit back and relax, board towards the end and your Booked seats are waiting for you. ;)

You still have to queue if you want to be sure of getting your hand luggage up top.

Advertisement