Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to look taller

Options
  • 21-01-2013 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭

Any tip on what to wear to look taller?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Heels;
    stick to one colour palette, the darker the better;
    v neck tops;
    slimming jeans/trousers;
    blazers/long jackets;
    fitted coats; fitted clothes;
    short skirts and shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

I can't manage to get the colour palette right. Any tips? Photos/links would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Vertical stripes
    Heels
    High hairstyle :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Anything that appears to elongate your body.

Well-tailored garments
    Long necklaces
    Scarves
    High waisted skirts and trousers
    Heels, especially when worn with long trousers
    Vertical stripes or panelling in clothes.

As for colour palette - if you wear a dark high waisted skirt with tights of the same colour, that will make you look very long as it'll look like your legs go up to where your belly button is. But if you were to colour block two different colours, they would draw a kind of a line and make your legs appear cut off.

Same with shoes - for longer legs wear courts as it looks like the leg goes the whole way down to where the toes meet the shoe. But, if you wear heels with an ankle strap, that looks as if the leg ends above the ankle and makes them look shorter.

mood wrote: »
    I can't manage to get the colour palette right. Any tips? Photos/links would be great.

If you stick with monochromatic colours in one look that helps as there won't be contrasting colours that divide you up. But having said that, get yourself black skinny jeans and black boots/shoes and that will take care of a lot of it for you!

The high waisted bottoms are a great tip- you can get high waisted shorts which will make your legs look really long, esp if you wear with ankle shoes that have a low base and not a high shaft (top). Same stands for skirts- get nice high waisted short skirts and pair with ankle shoes/boots and you will get lots of height.

Do what you can to get yourself as toned as possible to accentuate your waist. If you carry any of that blubber on your sides it will only make your waist meet your hips more so and that won't do you any good!

• Advertisement

Are the below examples what you are talking about? Does anyone like this idea? I think it could be hard to get right. I have such a variety of colours in my wardrobe I wouldn't know where to start! I do colour block as I like colour near my face. Would it be a good idea to group similar colours in wardrobe?

Olivis3.jpg

how-to-look-taller-monochromatic-dressing-L-7lBnyz.jpeg

picture-32.png?w=529&h=279

nudes_spring2010_trend.jpg

jessgomes.jpg

Great work Mood, couldn't have found better examples myself!

Make sure and work with colours that suit your skin/hair, etc.. Some of those lighter toned outfits might have the opposite effect and wash you out if you're pale like me.

pog it wrote: »
    Great work Mood, couldn't have found better examples myself!

Make sure and work with colours that suit your skin/hair, etc.. Some of those lighter toned outfits might have the opposite effect and wash you out if you're pale like me.

The problem is reds/pinks/blues suit me and I really wouldn't want to wear red head to toe! Any ideas how to get around this?

I can't wear those lighter tones either.

The problem is reds/pinks/blues suit me and I really wouldn't want to wear red head to toe! Any ideas how to get around this?

I can't wear those lighter tones either.

It's just going to mean a lot of work, lots of idea generation that you get from seeing what's in the stores and from trying stuff on.

Maybe start with bottoms- try on skinny jeans, shorts, and skirts (high waisted, etc.) and see what suits you. Then work off that and find tops and boots/shoes to work with them. You could try burgundy jeans or just get black skinny jeans and look for boots and tops and jackets to go with them. Black skinny jeans do make you look taller, esp coupled with medium high boots/shoes.

I've found H&M and Guess to have great fits for petite figures. Guess have awesome skinny jeans, and a really cool pair of leather look skinny trousers that don't look/cost cheap!

I have skinny jeans.

Getting the monochromatic look will be tough when bright colours suit me best!

• Advertisement

I have skinny jeans.

Getting the monochromatic look will be tough when bright colours suit me best!

You can do monochromatic with bright colours too, just not the washy type ones, like the light greys. Best of luck! I am in same boat as you and found that the only solution is to spend time in the shops and reading good style blogs to help with ideas.

You can do monochromatic with bright colours too, just not the washy type ones, like the light greys. Best of luck! I am in same boat as you and found that the only solution is to spend time in the shops and reading good style blogs to help with ideas.

I still stuck as to how to do monochromatic with bright colours! Please post any links/photo if you have any... or I'll end up looking like a telly tubby or something!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I subconsciously do this - have lots of skinnies from Tesco and have some tshirts from anywhere from Dunnes to Lidl. I wear the regular leg length but they have most of them in the shorter lenght too. I would only be 5ft 1 and am a size 8.

One thing that is an obvious no no is turnups. I have also found trying to get a jumpsuit/playsuit a nightmare but finally managed to get something.

I do not wear high heels but I imagine that they would help.

Will see if I can post a photo in the evening.

Has anyone else any tips for petit ladies?

See this blog for some ideas. The blogger is quite petite as you will see from photographs she posts up with style ideas and it's a nice little blog with ideas for make-up and hair as well.

www.dizzybrunette3.com

Get yourself good skinny black jeans, good boots to go with them, a nice cardie that goes past your hips, quite fitted but wear it loose, and get a nice top for inside. See how that looks for you for height.

http://www.urbanoutfitters.co.uk/ecote-kirsi-jacquard-tape-shorts/invt/5126422797928/&colour=Black

This would be a lovely outfit too if you get a nice top to go with the shorts. You can get a blazer then to go over that.

http://www.urbanoutfitters.co.uk/ecote-kirsi-jacquard-tape-shorts/invt/5126422797928/&colour=Black

This would be a lovely outfit too if you get a nice top to go with the shorts. You can get a blazer then to go over that.

Unfortunately I don't like my legs so don't wear shorts. Also I'm in my 30's so that look might be too young for me. But thanks for posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I don't understand why you want to look taller :confused:

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I don't understand why you want to look taller :confused:

Because I'm small.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Sure being small is grand!

• Advertisement

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Sure being small is grand!

What wrong with wanting to appear taller? I'm not hung up on it or anything. I'm just looking for a few tips before I buy any new clothes this year.

What have you found works for you so far based on what you have tried on in the shops? Have you tried the skinny jeans outfit I suggested? It's all trial and error and loads of work by the way but well worth it!

I had looked a lot online too but I found that actually going into the stores and then looking things up online afterwards is what made me learn what works and what doesn't.

I don't know your shape/figure/face shape, length of hair, etc. which are all pretty important when putting outfits together too. Just emphasise your best bits as they say, even if that's your shoulders- wear an off the shoulder top, nice earrings, etc.

Anyway, I don't think I can help anymore so best of luck with your shopping!

Thanks.

I've not been shopping yet as I want more ideas first and to need to put money aside. I'm going to go through my wardrobe this weekend to see what I already have and what I might need.

I'm a size 8 with no mayor issues with my shape apart from being petite and not liking my legs (so shorts are a no no) and I've a small chest and pale skin and brown long hair.

Advertisement