Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Transfer data from laptop that won't charge.

• 21-08-2012 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭

I've got a Samsung RV 510 laptop that won't charge because the charging port is broken. I need to send it back to get it fixed, but first I want to copy the information on the laptop's Hard Drive onto an external hard drive in case it never comes back. I could do this easily if there was any charge left in the laptop but there isn't.

So I was thinking that if I got a SATA to USB cable I could slip out the hard drive and connect it up to my PC and transfer the data to the PC. Would it work?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

tryfix wrote: »
    I've got a Samsung RV 510 laptop that won't charge because the charging port is broken. I need to send it back to get it fixed, but first I want to copy the information on the laptop's Hard Drive onto an external hard drive in case it never comes back. I could do this easily if there was any charge left in the laptop but there isn't.

So I was thinking that if I got a SATA to USB cable I could slip out the hard drive and connect it up to my PC and transfer the data to the PC. Would it work?

Yup.

Or if you had a desktop, you could pop out the hard drive from the laptop, and plug in the laptop hard drive into the SATA connector that your CD/DVD/Bluray drive uses. In other words, turn off the desktop, unplug SATA cable from the cd drive; plug in hard drive. Turn on the desktop and Hey presto.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

Yup.

Or if you had a desktop, you could pop out the hard drive from the laptop, and plug in the laptop hard drive into the SATA connector that your CD/DVD/Bluray drive uses. In other words, turn off the desktop, unplug SATA cable from the cd drive; plug in hard drive. Turn on the desktop and Hey presto.
    I had a look at the cable coming from the dvd drive of the PC, it's got a solid connecter piece on the end, whereas the laptop 2.5 inch hard drive has 15 pins a piece of plastic and then 7 pins. I don't think it'll connect as the plastic piece wouldn't allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

tryfix wrote: »
    I had a look at the cable coming from the dvd drive of the PC, it's got a solid connecter piece on the end, whereas the laptop 2.5 inch hard drive has 15 pins a piece of plastic and then 7 pins. I don't think it'll connect as the plastic piece wouldn't allow it.

Your desktop must have a spare sata cable in it..try near the hard drives..I've yet to see a pc with just one hard drive sata cable

1__09074_zoom.jpg That's the Hard Drive.

Bild04.jpg

That's the PC, it's an old Medion. Nothing in it but a 40 pin lead to the CD/DVD and a heap of spare 4 pin round connectors and some smaller P7 push in type fittings. There's are two slim HDMI style ports on the motherboard with a lead coming out of one to them to a 3.5 inch HDD.

I'm off to bed, thank's for all your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

the connector that's going into the 3.5" drive one 7 pin and one 15 pin...that is a SATA connection.. the 7 pin one is to connect the drive the 15 pin one is for the power.. if there is 2 spare of these cables then connect the drive to them it'll work...if there is a space but no cable then it'll be cheaper to buy sata cables than a sata to USB....

• Advertisement

12006.jpg

Solved the problem with this very handy hard drive enclosure. Just stuck the hard drive into it and connected through the USB port. A handy gadget to have about the place and it only cost €12.99.

Advertisement