Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most underrated album in a bands discography?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Rds1989 wrote: »
    Ive always been a fan of Rubber Soul over every other beatles album. Its usually not seen as good as abbey road or revolver but i love the flow of it and quality of the songs. Also ive always though Sam's town by the killers was underrated

good call - its not really underrated, but it doesn't get the same recognition as their later LPs - its an incredibly sharp, upbeat and clever record.

(actually, all the Beatles early material is somewhat underrated).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

McCartney II

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

One Hot Minute by The Red Hot Chili Peppers

The basslines throughout the album are immense as is the guitar work, fantastic but not loved by all because of Frusciante's departure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

This is me correcting my earlier held opinion that the last Minutemen album is a little meh and too CCR for it's own good (I've seen plenty of others give it stick too)

I think I finally get it... it's a mini-Double Nickles were they ape BOC, Kinks and CCR instead of Funk and Hardcore, it even has that same communal feel in the sense that they cover a fellow SST records artist in the Meat Puppets and draft the Bassist from Black Flag to help with lyrics.

It's not as immediate as the early work, the musicianship isn't as obvious in it's genius as on the early stuff because they don't have one minute bursts of heavy bass on tinny guitar.... but, the lyrics and the fact they wrote four minute plus songs deserve props.

Sometimes I think if I was pushed.... really pushed, to answer it, the Minutemen might be my favorite band for reasons that only occur to me at certain moments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

How I got over - The Roots - only came out last year but it's their best yet!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Stone Roses Second Coming was an underrated masterpiece, the long wait between albums plus a shift in style deeply affected the critical opinion of the time. Listening to the album retrospectively , John Squires immense guitar work shines through.

Definitely. Slated because it wasn't "the stone roses" (album) but it's a savagely good album still. No bad song on it IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Good to see Pop by U2 get a few mentions. But I'm surprised that Zooropa hasn't been in there too. It's a great, inventive little album which they rattled off in a couple of months in the middle of the Zoo TV tour. It's like Achtung Baby's noisy little brother. The title track in an absolute epic. Numb, Lemon, The Wanderer, Dirty Day are all totally different to anything they had done and they deserved kudos for it at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Malmedicine

Manics Street Preachers Know your Enemy. I think it's a great album!

This album I love but feel if they just trimmed some of the dross they would have had their best album.

My little Guernica
    Dead Martyrs
    Intavenous Agnostic
    Found that Soul
    Freedom of Speech won't feed my children

5 cracking tunes. And add masses against the classes single release a year earlier and there by the grace of god from their greatest hits album and you would have a had a classic!

I love Gold Against the Soul, some absolute belters on that album.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Come on Pilgrim by pxies is a stunning album/ep and should be much better known. Also coming up by suede

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 DDDDDeannnnn

Sonic Youth - Goo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Trompe Le Monde - Pixies. Their best record

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

The stone roses- the second coming.

'ah it wasnt as good as the first album'

true, as their first album is possibly unbeatable.
    but the second coming is still one of the best albums of the 90s. ten storey love song is an absolute anthem

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭rustyregan

kkdela6 wrote: »
    The stone roses- the second coming.

'ah it wasnt as good as the first album'

true, as their first album is possibly unbeatable.
    but the second coming is still one of the best albums of the 90s. ten storey love song is an absolute anthem

I must admit I don't think the 2nd Coming is a good album. I think if it wasn't the Stone Roses it wouldn't have got as much interest. 10 Storey Love Song is alright, a decent pop song, probably the best song on the album. Otherwise it's pretty weak imo, a rag bag of good ideas poorly executed. Squire's star was firmly in the descendant at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

A Disgrace wrote: »
    Trompe Le Monde - Pixies. Their best record

Agreed. I think it's a cracking album, and far superior to Bossa Nova which came before it.

rustyregan wrote: »
    I must admit I don't think the 2nd Coming is a good album. I think if it wasn't the Stone Roses it wouldn't have got as much interest. 10 Storey Love Song is alright, a decent pop song, probably the best song on the album. Otherwise it's pretty weak imo, a rag bag of good ideas poorly executed. Squire's star was firmly in the descendant at this stage.

I see where you're coming from, but i actually think some of the songs on 2nd coming are actually better than some of the songs on the first album and vice versa. squires ego got out of hand and ians voice began to detriorate but still a great album :)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭rustyregan

I see where you're coming from, but i actually think some of the songs on 2nd coming are actually better than some of the songs on the first album and vice versa. squires ego got out of hand and ians voice began to detriorate but still a great album :)

Well put. It's probably down to personal taste - it just doesn't float my boat but a lot of people I know like it. Begging You should be a great tune - a house style jam done by a rock band - but it just doesn't take off for me, not enough in the way of melody. Love Spreads has a good groove but doesn't reach the led zepplin transcendental heights it's aiming for - it just stays stuck in 2nd gear. Just my opinion. For me it doesn't compare to something like led zepplin iv or the queen is dead or their own debut or albums of similar ilk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

Well put. It's probably down to personal taste - it just doesn't float my boat but a lot of people I know like it. Begging You should be a great tune - a house style jam done by a rock band - but it just doesn't take off for me, not enough in the way of melody. Love Spreads has a good groove but doesn't reach the led zepplin transcendental heights it's aiming for - it just stays stuck in 2nd gear. Just my opinion. For me it doesn't compare to something like led zepplin iv or the queen is dead or their own debut or albums of similar ilk.

It's an awful, awful mess of a record which reaches its nadir with the song Daybreak and its absolutely terrible lyrics.
    From Atlanta, Georgia
    To Moss side, Manchester

So why no stack for black on a radio station in this, the city?
    Been going on so long, level on the line
    I'm a leaf on the vine of time

Even quoting them makes my toes curl up with embarrassment.

It's the sound of a band that long since given up giving a sh¡t about each other - Squire doing his Robert Plant schtick while Ian Brown sounds like he's trying to get rid of his head cold by smoking as much dope as possible. I don't know how people rate it at all.

Squire should have stuck to the melodic trippy guitar playing of the first album instead of using cocaine to fuel guitar solos of no substance but literally arsing around on the fretboad for his own amusement.
    but if they had produced an album the same style of the first they probably would have been slated for that too.
    Brown definitely smoked too much, and his once poetic style of songwriting did transcend into gibber gabber which probably made sense to him, but i still love him for it.
    Songs like ten storey, tightrope, driving south and tears are classics in my eyes.
    however the last track, the fonz, now that was irritating.

one thing i didnt like is that love spreads and driving south almost sound the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 orl677

Its been said twice in this thread, but I must say "Adore" by the Smashing Pumpkins. Its one of my all time favourite albums.

Im also extremely fond of "Machina/The Machines of God", but it's not quite Adore..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

Standing on the Shoulder of Giants - Oasis

Some of their best work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

orl677 wrote: »
    Its been said twice in this thread, but I must say "Adore" by the Smashing Pumpkins. Its one of my all time favourite albums.

Im also extremely fond of "Machina/The Machines of God", but it's not quite Adore..
    Adore definitly, it contains some of Billy's best songwriting. Was never too keen on Machina although it does have some good songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I can never understand why Maxinquaye by Tricky isn't recognised as the best album of the 90s.

Obviously it's accepted as his best album by a distance but I have never actually met one person who liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Tightrope is a classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Not alternative or indie, but Michael Jackson - Dangerous is one which comes to mind.

Get rid of some of the cringeworthy ballads, like Heal the World, and it's a really good album, and pretty ahead of its time, mixing rock, hip-hop and R n'B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Jim_Kiy

Zero1986 wrote: »
    Adore definitly, it contains some of Billy's best songwriting. Was never too keen on Machina although it does have some good songs.

Is Gish underrated? Next to Siamese Dream its my favorite..Adore definitely has good tracks but I think I had my fill of SP after the mess that was mellon collie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Autechre's Chiastic Slide is an unreal album but I've seen it towards the bottom of a lot of lists of Autechre albums around the internet. For sure, they don't go as far 'out there' as they do on other albums, which is maybe why some people mark it down. But it's got some absolutely amazing stuff on it. Like this complete belter:

Jim_Kiy wrote: »
    Is Gish underrated? Next to Siamese Dream its my favorite..Adore definitely has good tracks but I think I had my fill of SP after the mess that was mellon collie.
    Gish gets plenty of praise I guess, wouldn't really call it underrated. Mellon Collie is the most frustrating Pumpkins album to listen to. Not strictly because it's a double album, it's just that they filled it with sorry excuses for songs like 'We Only Come Out At Night' and 'Farewell and Goodnight' while they left brilliant songs like 'Aeroplane Flies High' and 'God' off the album. But still it was an over-ambitious folly that would have been better off as a single, more focused album. It could even have rivalled Siamese Dream.

I think Pygmalion is the most underrated album in Slowdive's discography. A lot of people don't seem to really understand it or even venture past Souvlaki. Even though it was pretty much career suicide for them when they released it in 1995 it stands up now as an minimalist ambient masterpiece that hasn't dated in the slightest and it's just as good as Souvlaki.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Zero1986 wrote: »

I think Pygmalion is the most underrated album in Slowdive's discography. A lot of people don't seem to really understand it or even venture past Souvlaki. Even though it was pretty much career suicide for them when they released it in 1995 it stands up now as an minimalist ambient masterpiece that hasn't dated in the slightest and it's just as good as Souvlaki.

It was released with very little fanfare at the time. I didn't see any vinyl copies hitting the shops here and only a handful of CDs. It's great but as you say - only appreciated after the event.

The Morr Music compilation Blue Skied An' Clear helped kick-start positive Slowdive vibes in 2002.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Skied_an%27_Clear

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    It was released with very little fanfare at the time. I didn't see any vinyl copies hitting the shops here and only a handful of CDs. It's great but as you say - only appreciated after the event.

The Morr Music compilation Blue Skied An' Clear helped kick-start positive Slowdive vibes in 2002.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Skied_an%27_Clear
    The album wasn't even officially released in the US until the reissue last year. Creation gave them pretty much no support at the time and the media were even worse, so it's no surprise that it was released to very little fanfare.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

youth and young manhood by the much maligned kings of leon. tragically i think the band themselves have forgotton how good this body of work is compared to their new stuff (they only played one song off it in the recent o2 show-mollys chambers).

the sex on fire brigade seem oblivious to their past glories too and it seems to have initiated an "old kol" vs "new kol" divide.

our generations rolling stones in my opinion.love them or hate them.
    anyways ......my favourite song of all time
    Have to agree there.They were great when they first came out but I've no time for their more recent stuff.

Advertisement