Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are all auctioneers the same.

• 14-07-2014 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

I am in the process of buying a house in Clare and have never come across a group of people so hard to deal with. They push the prices of houses up don't return calls and really sort of don't care. Not one of these sales people said I have another house you might be interested in they just shrug their shoulders and walk away. I said to one why are you looking for 25k more for a house as one two doors up was sold recently for 25k less he said maybe the decor is nicer here and smiled. One excepted an offer but phoned me the next day to say you have been gazumped. Another told me about a house with sale agreed that if I offered another 500e I might get the property. These are the same people that were involved in the property bubble and and are now selling off as one said" bank properties there is not much margin in those".:mad::mad:

Sorry for venting my frustration on a Monday

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Sounds more like a reflection of the market than anything else. Auctioneers job is to get the best price for the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blowin3

Maybe I am just frustrated dealing with them. But I can understand business is business but it seems to be a profession lacking in morals. The other fact is as I stated not one of them tried to sell me anything I always thought a potential customer was some thing you looked after. The market at the moment seems to be nearly all cash investors and I sort of feel ( call me paranoid ) that the most of them are in toe with the auctioneers. Hence there is no urgency for call backs. That means when you inquire was there any offers on that property you are told that has gone to contract and that all happens in a week.

Onwards and upwards

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

blowin3 wrote: »
    ... I always thought a potential customer was some thing you looked after...

You are not their customer.
    Their customer is the person selling the house - they are providing a service to that person, not to you. Their job is to maximise the price that that person gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

You are not their customer.
    Their customer is the person selling the house - they are providing a service to that person, not to you. Their job is to maximise the price that that person gets.

No. Their job is to maximise their commission or fee for selling a place. They don't care about the seller.
    And they do gamble with threats that a higher offer is in the pipeline. These days it's usually a bluff.

Just be tough, blowin3, keep a poker face. It's like the old bazaar haggling-rule: Pretend you are not interested, there are plenty of other auctioneers gasping for business, and there are plenty of properties and counties with even more properties.

It's them who need the money, you are the one who might want to spend it.

Like: "You're asking for 250k for that old shed? I offer 150k. Take it or leave it."
    They need to sell and they try their luck with unexperienced customers, especially blow-ins.
    Be luckier!

Carry wrote: »
    No. Their job is to maximise their commission or fee for selling a place. They don't care about the seller.
    And they do gamble with threats that a higher offer is in the pipeline. These days it's usually a bluff.

Just be tough, blowin3, keep a poker face. It's like the old bazaar haggling-rule: Pretend you are not interested, there are plenty of other auctioneers gasping for business, and there are plenty of properties and counties with even more properties.

Like: "You're asking for 250k for that old shed? I offer 150k. Take it or leave it."
    They need to sell and they try their luck with unexperienced customers, especially blow-ins.
    Be luckier!
    Thanks for the good advice. I have bought and sold property before and have made money in the good days. But this seems different this time its the general I don't care if you buy or not. So the next time I will wear my best poker face and see what happens lol.
    Blowins sure Clare is full of them:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Similar to my experiences, we are in the process of buying a site from a Liquidator through a well known agent in town. Totally unprofessional, deposit was paid , then we were gazumped, met the price and deal is still pending.
    My wife contacted him once about another site and he hadn't a clue what she was talking about even though it was on his webpage never called her back.
    Dealing with Costelloes as well atm and they are fine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I am in the process of buying a house in Clare and have never come across a group of people so hard to deal with. They push the prices of houses up don't return calls and really sort of don't care. Not one of these sales people said I have another house you might be interested in they just shrug their shoulders and walk away. I said to one why are you looking for 25k more for a house as one two doors up was sold recently for 25k less he said maybe the decor is nicer here and smiled. One excepted an offer but phoned me the next day to say you have been gazumped. Another told me about a house with sale agreed that if I offered another 500e I might get the property. These are the same people that were involved in the property bubble and and are now selling off as one said" bank properties there is not much margin in those".:mad::mad:

Sorry for venting my frustration on a Monday

When buying a house a few years ago (in the gold old days), we would always put in a reasonable bid for houses that where on the market for a while (Clare was never that much of a white-hot property market).
    Every time some "mystery" buyer with a suitcase full of cash would pops up and suddenly decide to outbid us.
    What an amazing coincidence we thought!
    Amazingly these bidders would magically vanish into thin air once we said "stuff your property then" and went looking elsewhere. Then we would get the phonecalls that the sale had "unexpectedly" fallen through and since we where the next highest bidders and all that baloney.
    The guy who wanted €500 was just looking for an "extra" bonus for himself, probably fancied a new iPhone.
    My advise:
    Stay firm, stay tough, stick to your budget and let them know it in no uncertain terms.
    If they think for one second you might be the type to crumble and throw more and more money at them, they will gut you like a kipper.
    Like a pack of hungry wolves, they will show no mercy and tear you to shreds if they sense any weakness on your part. And these wolves (or vultures?) have been hungry for a long time.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Sounds more like a reflection of the market than anything else. Auctioneers job is to get the best price for the house.

This is Clare. There is no market. It is one thing bluffing when you might have a hand.
    But in this market, you know the seller and auctioneer do not hold any hand whatsoever.
    Call their bluff and move on. They will ring back within 2 weeks. 4 weeks max.

This is Clare. There is no market. It is one thing bluffing when you might have a hand.
    But in this market, you know the seller and auctioneer do not hold any hand whatsoever.
    Call their bluff and move on. They will ring back within 2 weeks. 4 weeks max.

If you drive around lots of sale agreed and sold signs. I have seen many properties go on sale and sale agreed in 2 weeks and usually over asking price. It seems that there is a panic on at the moment especially on investment( 80k-150k) properties. But I am still baffled at the way this profession :rolleyes: goes about their business .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

There is no panic on investment houses, trust me I know there are plenty still out there - alot of tyre kicking going on.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone. I think at long last I have bought. But will not count my chickens till I get contract signed. Maybe saying they are all bad is a bit broad. I agree Costello's and Location Location are about the best in town to deal with and if I was ever going to sell a house it would be there. So fingers crossed for the next few weeks. Thanks for the support. :)

If you drive around lots of sale agreed and sold signs. I have seen many properties go on sale and sale agreed in 2 weeks and usually over asking price. It seems that there is a panic on at the moment especially on investment( 80k-150k) properties. But I am still baffled at the way this profession :rolleyes: goes about their business .

It used to be common practice in the UK to pay a bunch of guys to drive around in a van full with For Sale and Sold signs.
    They would drive around a specific area and put these signs up on random houses and yes, these houses where not for sale nor had they any dealings with the auctioneer.
    This was simply so people would say "Wow, that auctioneer must be doing VERY well! His signs are everywhere and on different houses every week! he must be brilliant, let's do business with him".
    I would go so far as to suggest that a lot of for sale signs are up on friends and relatives houses...
    Selling is all about razzle dazzle and smoke and mirrors. How do you know a salesman is lying? Same way as with a politician, his lips are moving. ;):p

It used to be common practice in the UK to pay a bunch of guys to drive around in a van full with For Sale and Sold signs.
    They would drive around a specific area and put these signs up on random houses and yes, these houses where not for sale nor had they any dealings with the auctioneer.
    This was simply so people would say "Wow, that auctioneer must be doing VERY well! His signs are everywhere and on different houses every week! he must be brilliant, let's do business with him".
    I would go so far as to suggest that a lot of for sale signs are up on friends and relatives houses...
    Selling is all about razzle dazzle and smoke and mirrors. How do you know a salesman is lying? Same way as with a politician, his lips are moving. ;):p

I like your wit Dr. it gave me a laugh and I reading it at the U21s in Cusack pk last night. But I fear Ennis is a bit small for that style of marketing.

By they way well done the U21s last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Same as car salesmen. I wouldn't believe their radios.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Running Balance

Carry wrote: »

Be luckier!

yeah never understand auctioneers who act like they don't want the house and why they haggle for a couple of grand more. They are only going to get a 1-2% of this 2k which equates to 20 quid.

Always get two or more firms to sell your property. Least then it may be speed up the process..

That is true but the guys and ladies I have delt have no interest in selling. Some day( when finished)
    I will tell all when the mods are asleep name names lol.

There is always that. A lot of people in shops can't be arsed, because they're chatting to a colleague and you're interrupting them or, and this happens in Ennis, they're odd and they dont like dealing with people they dont know since primary school, especially if you sound like youre from out foreign or, god help you, england. Have two English friends and they find it very hard doing any business, for some reason special offers expire as soon as they walk in the door, the sales people suddenly drop 20 IQ points, stuff runs out or gets lost and orders dont turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Larsheen

Have come to this thread a bit late but as someone who dreamed of living in Clare for years and who was run ragged by auctioneers in the county, I can only agree with the OP.All sorts of strange goings on, houses being for sale and then mysteriously shooting up in price when the original price was already questionable and we the only bidder, houses being apparently taken off the market and then quick as a light,re-appearing on as "sold" etc.It took a lot to disillusion me as I am besotted with the county but eventually we gave up and retreated,suitably chastened.Shame but we put it down to "what's for you won't pass you" and maybe the move was not meant to happen

We where interested in a few properties and always the "mystery buyer" appeared with a big suitcase full of cash.
    We entertained it for a few bids, always staying within the limit we set ourselves.
    After that we walked. For some "strange" reason we always got a callback a while later, the sale to the mystery buyer had mysteriously fallen through and where we still interested in the house? N. O.
    And neither where we interested in continuing to deal with that auctioneer.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Larsheen

Hmmnn..strange alright.One guy,originally from Galway,had the same story to tell and refused also to deal with one particular gent living in West Clare

• Advertisement

Very true dr. I looked at 1 house that had a 25k more on the price than one sold 2 doors down from it in March. The agent told me that it would exceed the asking price and that it would sell fast but still for sale. So it is a battle of wits and not to get emotional involved in a property is the secret just walk away. But there is definitely increase in sales especially in the investment market. But it is a bit soul destroying but preserver there is stuff out there but you have to work at it.

Advertisement