Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

distributing the excess votes

• 27-02-2011 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭

so i have a question

when you hear the announcements from the counting stations or whatever they are called, the guy says 'as blah blah exceeded the quota they are deemed elected their excess votes will now be redistriubted' or something along those lines

so im guessing what happens is say the quota is 10,000 and the guy gets 11,000 then there are 1000 votes were they go to the second preference, is this is correct?

if this is correct how do they choose which 1000 votes get redistributed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

In that scenario when the preference is going from 1 to 2 the surplus is distributed proportionately according to how many votes each 2nd preference candidate polled within the entire number of votes the first 1st preference candidate polled. In other words, the entire amount of votes No. 1 got is sorted back into No. 2 preference order and then the surplus is split proportionately to how the No. 2 candidates are represented in that count (i.e. if candidate pow wow polls No. 2 in 50% of the first elected candidate's 1st preference papers and the surplus is 5,000 then I get 2,500 votes in the surplus distribution).

The procedure is slightly different for 2 to 3, 3 to 4 etc. and excluded candidates but the proportionality is the basis of it.

Advertisement