Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,705 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well you can't blame Biowares older games having generic fantasy settings considering they are based in the Dungeons and Dragons universe :)

However even in the D&D universe something great and original can present itself. Planescape Torment is what I'm talking about and it's a game I'm going to get around to playing this year. What I heard about it sounds really interesting and the guy that told me about it is the same one that told me to buy Persona 3 so I'll trust him :)

Some of the best game stories have been in RPGs, it's a pity they get over looked for stuff like Heavy Rain (I'm sorry but it really is terribly written, full of unexplained red herrings and deus ex machina). I don't find Biowares writing to be terribly good but they can do dialogue and believeable characters well. Even if the settings and overarching story are generic they do generic really damn well!

Then there's stuff like System Shock 2, Mother 3, Earthboung and SMT Lucifiers Call which explore complex themes and show that it's not just the realm of literature and film.

I love me a good RPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,284 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

/Chases he geeks out with a broom. :p

How do you guys find time to play RPG as adults? Okay so Retr0 is the perpetual student, so I guess that answers that.

But to all you full time 9-5 folk, is it even possible? I absolutely struggled to get through Fallout New Vegas recently. I'm seeing lots of games I'd really love to play but it's just not going to happen simply due to the length of time it'll take to finish them. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Unemployment :pac:

I don't know, only tend to finish the ones that really grab me. Persona are the only 70 hours plus ones I've managed in recent years, but for me they were like crack, needed an hour or two playing a day!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,705 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Do you know how many games I have that I'll probably never get the time to play because I'm constantly playing long RPGs? Even being a perpetual student isn't enough to keep up.

Here's a graph of my beaten games vs. games I've not beaten in the last few months:

http://www.backloggery.com/trends.php?user=retr0gamer

The only solution really is to play one game and stick with it. I slipped awhile ago and was sampling lots of games but now when I go back I have to start from the start again so it was a bit of a waste of time.

I don't know, only tend to finish the ones that really grab me. Persona are the only 70 hours plus ones I've managed in recent years, but for me they were like crack, needed an hour or two playing a day!

I remember when I was playing it I was dying to get home to play it everyday and running through my head the most efficient way of doing social links and dungeon crawling. Those two games had me so hooked.

Worst of all Persona 3 Portable is out in May and I can play through the whole game as a girl this time and I'm so going to cave and get it day one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

o1s1n wrote: »
    /Chases he geeks out with a broom. :p

How do you guys find time to play RPG as adults? Okay so Retr0 is the perpetual student, so I guess that answers that.

But to all you full time 9-5 folk, is it even possible? I absolutely struggled to get through Fallout New Vegas recently. I'm seeing lots of games I'd really love to play but it's just not going to happen simply due to the length of time it'll take to finish them. :(

I'll tell you how I do it. I don't!!!
    There's no way I can find the time to slog through a full blown RPG sure it's hard enough to complete any games these days.

O1s1n you have it easy get a child and you'll know about it, there's lots of video game playing but it's all kids games or NSMB DS over and over.

Still though I always find time to play games but I can never give them the time they deserve, it's a curse of having so much to play, at least in the old days we would have only had a few games so we'd be forced into seeing them through.

Master of the Universe

Unemployment :pac:
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Even being a perpetual student isn't enough to keep up.

I tell you what lads, as crazy as it sounds, enjoy your unemployment/jobless free time while it's there...as when you do (finally! :p) get jobs you literally have zero time for any game that can't be picked up and played for an hour or less. :(
    pdbhp wrote: »
    O1s1n you have it easy get a child and you'll know about it, there's lots of video game playing but it's all kids games or NSMB DS over and over.

Haha! Any time I see my girlfriend fawning over children images of my videogame life flash before my eyes :eek:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

was playing primal rage on the megadrive earlier.. terrible terrible game. Road Rash is still great though and Dizzy, although it doesnt feel right not playing Dizzy on a C64.

Master of the Universe

Heh, I was playing Megadrive Primal Rage recently enough myself.

How a game like that can be quality tested and given the ok to be released is beyond me. Although I think that applies to all versions of Primal Rage to be honest!

You can add Power Rangers to the same category too.. my god.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Not power rangers the movie, that game is great, playing it this week, very solid expecially for a film tie in game

Master of the Universe

That's one I've never played. Kind of want to now. I love a good bad game :D

No i dont think its the movie one i was playing, its the one of the original series before the movie came out i think, now dont quote me on that im no power rangers guru! :pac: You fight a minotaur at the start, twice. once as a human then as the giant dinorobot.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Not power rangers the movie, that game is great, playing it this week, very solid expecially for a film tie in game

Is this post genuine? I can't detect any sarcasm! :pac:
    keithgeo wrote: »
    was playing primal rage on the megadrive earlier.. terrible terrible game. Road Rash is still great though and Dizzy, although it doesnt feel right not playing Dizzy on a C64.

Amen to that. Was playing a version of Dizzy on the Amiga a few nights ago, the graphics looked too nice for me. always remember the C64 versions. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭DickyC

I tell you what lads, as crazy as it sounds, enjoy your unemployment/jobless free time while it's there...as when you do (finally! :p) get jobs you literally have zero time for any game that can't be picked up and played for an hour or less. :(

Haha! Any time I see my girlfriend fawning over children images of my videogame life flash before my eyes :eek:

i know that feeling, two kids and full time job puts serious restrictions on gaming time.

What time did you get home at today? I got home 30 minutes ago and usually only get home at 10 at the earliest. I'd love a job, at least I'd be getting paid for these crazy hours :(

Master of the Universe

You only got home 30 minutes ago? I hope you were at a frat party full of strippers and beer kegs?

If not you're doing the whole college thing wrong :p

Thats the price you pay for wanting all of us to call you Dr. Retr0

I need to find some way to make money aswell, mabye selling my body for money. Might get one of my friends to do a naked photsession with games covering my junk

im not joking about that photoshoot, possibly make a funny calander?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Thats the price you pay for wanting all of us to call you Dr. Retr0

I need to find some way to make money aswell, mabye selling my body for money. Might get one of my friends to do a naked photsession with games covering my junk

im not joking about that photoshoot, possibly make a funny calander?

Maybe o1s1n could lend you his Wily Wars to cover your "junk"? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭DickyC

the things some people will do to fund megadrive stuff is unreal:eek:

• Advertisement

yes i would do that, see if he wants it back covered in scent of Jack Burtons lowers

Master of the Universe

:eek:

Let me know if Jack is ever going to a beers so I can make sure not to bring anything along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Maybe o1s1n could lend you his Wily Wars to cover your "junk"? :pac:

Tbh it'd be wasted...I reckon a Gameboy cart, or possibly a PS1 memory card would do the job :D:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Pokémon mini cartridge perhaps?

cartridges.jpg

I'm mean, I know.

Master of the Universe

It might work if it wasn't so transparent!

If it was me id have to go with one of these, with a little sneak preview window for the ladies..

game_genie_item_fv_m_6515.JPG

Master of the Universe

You sure that's 'for the ladies'? :p

ha ha its out of my hands who would be checking out my junk drawer through the preview window. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Zelda The Minish Cap

Only just finished spirit tracks

1 more to go for full Zelda Completion :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Zelda The Minish Cap

Only just finished spirit tracks

1 more to go for full Zelda Completion :D

Majoras's Mask?

Advertisement