Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help with a name ?

• 08-05-2015 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭

I just discovered my grandfather's birth (1912) listed on the irishgenealogy.ie site. I had his DOB, father's full name & mother's first name (Mary). Her surname is listed on the site as "Mirryan".

I've never heard of this name before, it sounds very unusual & should be easy to trace, but I can't find it on the 1911 census (unless I'm doing something wrong).

I was thinking maybe someone made a mistake & it's "Mary Ryan" instead of "Mirryan"(not going to make it any easier to find).

I don't think they recorded the mother's surname on the birth cert back then, correct?

Has anyone heard of the name ? or could offer assistance ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Mother's maiden surname has always been included on birth certs - i.e. since 1864.

Have you found the family on the 1911 and 1901 census ?

I think the census returns could help locate other details on the couple - e.g. via births for Leo's siblings, or his parents' marriage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

if these Dargans are the family at Mount Temple Rd. (matches with Dublin North district shown on FamilySearch index) then based on births index entries for Bernard, the mother's maiden name is Merrigan - so maybe smudged or difficult to read on Leo's entry, or simply misheard by the registrar

edit : I suspect that Leo's father, listed as Francis in 1911, may have been using a middle name, and his first name was actually Bernard.. there's a possible marriage in Dublin South district in 1902 of a Bernard Dargan and Mary Merrigan, that could fit. (Bernard/Francis shows up in 1901 with his parents and siblings at Brabazon Row)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

Holy crap !!! Thanks so much. There is a connection to Mount Temple Road !!

Francis's middle name was Bernard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

OU812 wrote: »
    Holy crap !!! Thanks so much. There is a connection to Mount Temple Road !! Francis's middle name was Bernard

Love it! Another satisfied customer on the Genealogy forum! :D Way to go shanew!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

I also love the fact that My grandfather's name was in the second post when I hadn't even mentioned it :)

I might have more questions. Can I come back ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Feel free to set up a tent. I'm usually a bystander but there is always a helpful genealogist along soon.

Advertisement