Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possibility of more cold weather from the 9th of March

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

Pangea wrote: »
    I doubt it will be much of an inconvience at this stage of the year, MT already said it would be brief. Id still take it over rainy damp weather.

it shoud'nt at this this time of year but this is ireland, of course there will be inconvenience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

:rolleyes: How can someone take
    "...
    DONEGAL is going to be lashed with a snow storm this Wednesday, BBC forecasters predicted today.

from
    "BBC forecaster Angie Philips said: “There will be much colder weather coming in from the north and this will bring wintry showers that will include sleet and snow. There will also be strong winds, making it feel even colder.”

Pathetic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Pangea

Su Campu wrote: »
    :rolleyes: How can someone take

from

Pathetic
    Yeah I know ridiculous
    it shoud'nt at this this time of year but this is ireland, of course there will be inconvenience
    Doubt it, doesnt look like there will be a widespread snow event , people need to grow a pair and deal with it ,a little brief cold snap will be nothing compared to what we went through during the winter. About time people stopped moaning but such is life :).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

I think this will be a " yawn" event..... :rolleyes:

Iancar29 wrote: »
    I think this will be a " yawn" event..... :rolleyes:

hopefully!!!

• Advertisement

Just heard Will Leahy on radio saying snow and frost this weekend, its gone mainstream already, hopefully its not setting itself up for an epic fail lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

SNOW - are ye serious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Most likely no, Donegal, Sligo & Mayo maybe some wet snow but dont be expecting anything much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

The problem with these imbeciles of journalists bigging this up out of all proportion is that when it doesn't happen, it'll be ME or the UKMO who will go down as the ones who got it wrong in the public's eyes. The Dunce-gal Daily quote posted earlier is a prime example. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Just heard Will Leahy on radio saying snow and frost this weekend, its gone mainstream already, hopefully its not setting itself up for an epic fail lol

Yeah, its gone mainstream already - I work in a department store and a few of my colleagues mentioned to me this morning that the Big Freeze would return this weekend.

Yeah right, daytime temps will hover between 5oC-7oC, there might be sleet or hail at lower levels with snow on higher ground. Some freeze!

I hate when some irresponsible gimps in the media get a sniff of snow (good alliteration eh?) and really don't have a clue about weather and decide to set off mass hysteria. Pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

I'll admit to a certain quickening of the pulse as the mention of snow starts to spread, here and mainstream.

IMHO, a place to watch is Letterkenny, in recent times it seems to have had snow accumulations whenever snow showers are mentioned and seemed to have quite a bit of snow when elsewhere only mountain tops saw any white blanketing.

* don't forget to put out a little extra food for the birdies:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭200motels

This cold spell for the weekend wasn't mentioned on the weather on RTE.

Su Campu wrote: »
    The problem with these imbeciles of journalists bigging this up out of all proportion is that when it doesn't happen, it'll be ME or the UKMO who will go down as the ones who got it wrong in the public's eyes. The Dunce-gal Daily quote posted earlier is a prime example. :rolleyes:
    Yeah well anyone who believes into this hype deserve to read that hogwash. Any reasonable person knows that 99% of the content in newspapers are exaggerated to get more readers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭John mac

Croagh Patrick may be a bit testing on Saturday so.:eek: Better pack the crampons..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Apologies if this link has already been posted but our Donegal postman reckons we are in for a White Paddies Day!

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/postman-predicts-a-white-st-patricks-day-2569468.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Apologies if this link has already been posted but our Donegal postman reckons we are in for a White Paddies Day!

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/postman-predicts-a-white-st-patricks-day-2569468.html

I trust MT over this guy any day and his forecast is for a milder trend towards the middle of next week. It amazes me how the media can hype up these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

I trust MT over this guy any day and his forecast is for a milder trend towards the middle of next week. It amazes me how the media can hype up these things.

Yeah couldnt agree more, just at work here on the iphone and didn't have the time to read through the last few posts and see who was saying what, wouldn't mind loads of snow again, but hard to see it happening at this stage...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Last week we had the easterly that never arrived, this week a northerly has disappeared into thin air. I'm the biggest coldie around but at this stage I just want warm spring weather so this dismal winter can become history!
    Marks out of ten for winter 2010-11 - 4 (thats how bad Jan and Feb were)

nooooooooooo, the beautiful sunny morning in county meath has disappeared and been replaced by dull cloudy and chilly weather :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Going by your rating you'd swear we are accustomed to three months of severe wintry weather rather than it being an extremely rare exception. The fact that we got one month this past winter where it was the coldest for a 100 years and desposited more snow than most of us have ever seen in Ireland before, makes it a winter to remember! Lord knows If January and February had been as great as December, then the civil war that would have erupted here would make the Irish War of Independence seem tame in comparison.

• Advertisement

No snow mentioned in MTs outlook , looks like a non event, lows not even in their minuses :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Last week we had the easterly that never arrived, this week a northerly has disappeared into thin air. I'm the biggest coldie around but at this stage I just want warm spring weather so this dismal winter can become history!

So every other winter you have ever experienced in Ireland must have been a 0,1,2 or 3! (assuming you are under the age of 50 and can't remember 1962/63 and you're rating your winters on cold/snow intensity). When did you last experience a 30 day (late Nov to late Dec) run of continuous low temps/significant snow depths and longevity of lying snow that allowed you to rate a winter higher than 4 :confused:

I agree with you though on bringing on the mild weather. I've no interest in any more cold weather at this stage. We've had more than enough of it this year. The mild, sunny weather 2 weeks ago was so welcome and pleasant that I'm finding this current chilly spell a pain!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

LOL I really love these threads, its all " I love the snow more than you" or " I don't like snow anymore, so why should you".... still obsessed by the fluffy white stuff!

It passes the time while we wait for weather ( read: snow, storms, hurricanes, killer heat, floods) to arrive. ;)

It works both ways - last summer the only warm and sunny weather came in June before Mid summers day, July and Aug were crap so I would give summer '10 a 4.
    I know in our Atlantic dominated climate we're not going to get three months of lying snow but even a few days of snow in Jan and another few in Feb would have done nicely.
    * I know someone will post now " I got a few days of snow in January" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,837 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

So you give a low rating even though we had snow for 2 months out of 3 for winter! IE November, December and Jan.

Feb is spring!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

It works both ways - last summer the only warm and sunny weather came in June before Mid summers day, July and Aug were crap so I would give summer '10 a 4.
    I know in our Atlantic dominated climate we're not going to get three months of lying snow but even a few days of snow in Jan and another few in Feb would have done nicely.
    * I know someone will post now " I got a few days of snow in January" :rolleyes:

So spreading a few days of snow over the course of three months beats having deep lying snow for a full month and the coldest temperatures ever recorded? Would you class any previous winter as more than a 2 then?

I have had snow in both Jan and Feb but not having any would make no difference to my thoughts on this winter, the most memorable in living memory by a distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Read this morning in the paper that the postman in Donegal is predicting cold weather and snow around Paddys Day.
    I know its probably a bit early to see anything on the charts, but any indication that he may be right?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

kstand wrote: »
    Read this morning in the paper that the postman in Donegal is predicting cold weather and snow around Paddys Day.
    I know its probably a bit early to see anything on the charts, but any indication that he may be right?

No sign of it at all. Don't believe what you read in the papers.

Harps wrote: »
    the most memorable in living memory by a distance.
    The mean temp for this winter (at Dublin Airport, my nearest ME station) was 3.5c. Last winter it was 2.5c.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭200motels

So you give a low rating even though we had snow for 2 months out of 3 for winter! IE November, December and Jan.

Feb is spring!
    Feb is not spring, it maybe in books taught in school but According Met E spring starts in March.

Advertisement