Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Purchased a TV/PJ recently? Name the place and the price! [Now with added poll]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭smokingman

Projector: Panasonic PT-AE2000
    Type: 1080p LCD HDTV
    Date Bought: 17th June 2008
    Price: gbp £1,349.00 + £69.00 shipping
    Bought From: ebay
    Retailer Satisfaction: Very happy
    Satisfaction: I'll wait for it to be delivered
    Accessories: 92" Panoview Grey Wolf 2 Fixed Frame Screen Grey Glass Beaded Gain of 1.8 Model: DF-GWII9092F from cvsmedia.co.uk - 250 euro

I've been waiting to build my cinema room for months and it's just started with the purchase of the above. I'll be building a floating wall to put the screen on and post the results over in the HE DIY forum later on....watch this space..

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 nenepoos

Pioneer plasma Kuro 4280xd

I took the tv and home cinema set deal for 1950 from Alliance Electric

Good knowledgeable service - came and set up the tv in navan and wired everything in the house up to the surround sound thingy.

He was in the house for well over an hour.

and I just got in for the 5 year gaurantee offer - couldnt recomend them enough.

Pretty impressed with the TV. My one year old keeps taking swings at it with the poker though - seems to think its a target or an enemy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Golfnut

Panasonic TH-46PZ81B inc. 5 year warranty

Worked out @ €1,937 inc. delivery from Richer Sounds in Belfast

Am delighted with it, arrived on Monday, includes freesat, IFC, PIP, PAP, and other features I've no doubt yet to master

Set up was simple, had a spare cable to my Sky dish, connected it up and Freesat setup took about 3 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Panasonic TH-37PV80 in http://www.allianceelectric.ie/ for €999

Salesman spent an hour with me showing me around on the first visit. He recommended this €999 Plasma over LCD for watching sports. Happy with his service and went back 3 weeks later and did the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭grey squirrel

SAMSUNG LE32A457C1D 32 Inch HD Ready LCD with 5 year warranty

€565.50 including cost of courier to deop at my door within 24 hrs

www.samsyerman.co.uk

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

TV: Panasonic TH42PZ80
    Type: 42" Plasma
    Date Bought: 20080826
    Price: €1009.15 [£802.90 incl. 5 year warrenty]
    Bought From: http://richersounds.com
    Retailer Satisfaction: Trés happy with buying over the phone.
    TV Satisfaction: NA yet

Just ordered today along with a pioneer 5.1 home cinema kit.
    total came to under 1200e.

Tv is OoS atm but should be in by the end of the week. Estimated delivery is next wed/thurs]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 probaz

Bought from http://www.1staudiovisual.co.uk/ in August Samsung Le40A656 LCd €1070 including delivery.
    £100 pounds delivery charge but still saved 350 compared to buying from irish retailer. Delivery was the next day.
    Just needed to fax them proof of address. then whole process was fantastic. Great TV great Service. Look to shop abroad for a bargain. When you compare the price in currys Dublin to Currys in Newry Northern Ireland It tells you that we are being ripped off because the irish market bears it. So if buying expensive tv Shop online or hop in your car and drive to northern Irekland to save hundreds

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

TV: Sony 40V3000
    Type: 40" LCD
    Date Bought: 03-09-2008
    Price: £600+£20=€791
    Bought From: Richer Sounds
    TV Satisfaction: Very Happy

Hard time getting through to RS, but worth it, surf the web, do your research and then give them a call

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 PS Gamer

TV: Panasonic TH42PY80
    Type: 42" plasma
    Date Bought: 26 Sept 2008
    Price: €1235
    Bought From: DID Electrical Waterford
    Retailer Satisfaction: Top notch
    TV Satisfaction: Very happy

Being waiting a while to buy a new TV and researched it alot. Delighted I went for this TV as so far it seems to be brill. Watched a BluRay last night and was delighted with the quality and also PS£ games look stunning on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

kaimera wrote: »
    TV: Panasonic TH42PZ80
    Type: 42" Plasma
    Date Bought: 20080826
    Price: €1009.15 [£802.90 incl. 5 year warrenty]
    Bought From: http://richersounds.com
    Retailer Satisfaction: Trés happy with buying over the phone.

Just ordered today along with a pioneer 5.1 home cinema kit.
    total came to under 1200e.

Tv is OoS atm but should be in by the end of the week. Estimated delivery is next wed/thurs]
    Cant change post.

Sadly richersounds couldnt get the PZ80 for me :(
    for love nor money.

So went for the PZ8 instead, lower contrast ratio & one less hdmi port.

tv cost £750 but panasonic are honouring the 5 year warrenty at that price. [it was £70 extra otherwise iirc]

After waiting a month for the PZ80 to come in, changed the order to the PZ8 and that came into stock end of last week and delivered today along with our Pioneer 5.1 home cinema kit.

total incl delivery was ~€1170.

As an aside, richersounds have an awesome customer support crew. Great guys to talk to and very helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

TV : Sony Bravia KDL 40W4000U
    Date Purchased: 31 Oct 08
    Price: €1023.37 including delivery
    Bought From: Laptops Direct http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/s_KDL40W4000U/version.asp
    Retailer Satisfaction: Very happy, excellent price and ordered Friday evening it arrived the following Tuesday afternoon.
    TV Satisfaction: So far so Good, but this is my first LCD so I'm no expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭Invincible

alb wrote: »
    TV : Sony Bravia KDL 40W4000U
    Date Purchased: 31 Oct 08
    Price: €1023.37 including delivery
    Bought From: Laptops Direct http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/s_KDL40W4000U/version.asp
    Retailer Satisfaction: Very happy, excellent price and ordered Friday evening it arrived the following Tuesday afternoon.
    TV Satisfaction: So far so Good, but this is my first LCD so I'm no expert.

It's a pity you did'nt look at richersounds.com,they have it for £730,which equals 899 euro,they could deliver to the Republic for £20stg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Sony 32 KDL V4000

Amazon.co.uk - £384 with 3 year guarantee - they don't deliever south of the border but I've family up there, I talked with richersounds who offered the same model at £365 or £405 with 5 year guarantee, but would have had to collect in Belfast, which wasn't convenient for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    Sony 32 KDL V4000

Amazon.co.uk - £384 with 3 year guarantee - they don't deliever south of the border but I've family up there, I talked with richersounds who offered the same model at £365 or £405 with 5 year guarantee, but would have had to collect in Belfast, which wasn't convenient for me.

Saw the alert for this tv on the bargains thread - £399 or €544 from currys, including a home theatre system -was sick!!
    Luckily amazon then dropped their price to £329, and after checking every currys in NI (where I happen to weekending) and finding none of the specials left, I contacted amazon, explained my predicament and that I would be returning the tv as it was inside 30 days from sale - they agreed to refund me the difference, thus the TV cost me £329 - with a 3 year guarantee - now that's a deal - cheers to currys!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

TV: Sony 40v4000
    Type: 40" 1080p LCD
    Date Bought: 15/11/08
    Price: €999 + free Sony BDP-s350
    Bought From: Sony Centre
    Retailer Satisfaction: When I collect on Thursday I'll let you now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 OverTheTop

kearnsr wrote: »
    TV: Sony 40v4000
    Type: 40" 1080p LCD
    Date Bought: 15/11/08
    Price: €999 + free Sony BDP-s350
    Bought From: Sony Centre
    Retailer Satisfaction: When I collect on Thursday I'll let you now
    whats it like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

TV: Sony 40W4500
    1080p
    20/11/2008 arrived 27/11/2008
    €1,1836
    Pixmania

Delighted with this set. Was going to buy it from Richer Sounds but they don't deliver them to Ireland anymore and couldn't guarantee when they'd be in stock, seems to be issues ordering from laptop place with credit cards. So I took the plunge last week and am blown away by the picture quality. When connected to UPC signal the digital tuner picks up 180 stations, between TV and radio. Can watch about 30 of these, saves me getting a second UPC digital box, have one elsewhere in the house. Don't know why I can't view all the stations, anyone shed any light on this? Only set it up last night, haven't had a chance to check out the MPEG4 signal for the terrestrial stations, will do that tonight. Xbox, PS3 connected via HDMI and honestly, the picture is amazing. Wii connected by component, Sky+ connected by scart, all look brilliant. Even the analogue feed from NTL is quite good, overall, in case you haven't guessed - delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

Delighted with this set. Was going to buy it from Richer Sounds but they don't deliver them to Ireland anymore !

Since when?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Certain sets are reserved for in store only and the W4500 is one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 JmcG

TV: Samsung LE32A457
    Type: 32" HD Ready LCD
    Date Bought: 27/12/08
    Price: £299.99 + £29.99 (5 year warranty) + £49.95 AV/TV rack = €409 approx
    Bought From: Richersounds, Belfast
    Retailer Satisfaction: Great service
    TV Satisfaction: Delighted, slightly modified the 'movie' display settings preset and extremely happy with resultant picture; Videos (mainly XviD's), and games (on X360), look great and black levels are surprisingly good; can't comment on audio as pipe audio from 360 through a HiFi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

TV: Samsung LE46A656
    Type: 46" HD Ready LCD
    Date Bought: 19/12/08
    Price: £999
    Bought From: Richersounds, Belfast
    Retailer Satisfaction: Great service
    TV Satisfaction: I bought this along with an AV amp and floorstander speakers (just went for two for the moment, no surround setup planned yet), but because I got it in the mouth of Christmas, I've only set the TV up so far. I've only tried standard aerial TV and standard Sky on it, but I've been very pleased so far. There is some ghosting visible on standard telly broadcasts which I presume is down to my aerial being a little off (this is actually more prevalent on Irish TV rather than the UK channels, for some reason). The TV didn't need much adjusting out of the box to get the picture looking just right (for me, anyway) and the viewing angle is very good. All in all, the picture is far superior to my recently-purchased Philips 22" LCD and I'm very very happy with the purchase and with Richer Sounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭ve

TV: Sony KDL40V4000
    Date Bought: This week
    Price: €569 (+ shipping)
    Bought From: LaptopsDirect.co.uk
    Retailer Satisfaction: Happy
    TV Satisfaction: Extremely Happy

The TV for the price is absolutely fantastic. I didn't need a > 50Hz screen (never watch football, mainly movies, etc). My only issue was with laptopsdirect.co.uk (or buyitdirect.co.uk) regarding payment. I placed an order on a Wednesday afternoon. When ordering I wanted my order shipped to my work office as opposed to my credit card billing address. I watched my order status remain @ "we have yet to take payment" then on Friday afternoon it switched to "order cancelled", so I rang them immediately. I was told that they contacted my bank and were told that the address specified and my billing address did not match. Which is true because I wanted it shipped to work, so I explained this. They grilled me as to why I would want to do that (there would have been nobody at home). They then tried to call me on my mobile while I called them from landline to verify that I was the person behind all contact numbers. They failed initially and told me someone else answered the phone and said they weren't me (while I was holding my mobile phone in my hand). I told them them to make sure they dialed my number in the international format (as I had specified when ordering) to which they said that had, but voila it worked the second time. I don't think they actually process your card details electronically at the time of order. Instead they just feck your card details in a database and then manually contact the bank with your details afterwards. This means that human intervention is required during the payment process. Pro's and Con's apply.

Anyway on the Friday afternoon they established payment, and shipped it to my billing address as they wouldn't ship it anywhere else. So I had to take time off work to receive it. It arrived yesterday in pristine condition. I've never seen a product of its size ship in such good condition.

Set it up yesterday evening and am extremely impressed with it. In fairness to laptopsdirect I believe they were just security concious which I respect. It did result in my order taking a little longer and having to take a few hours off work. Also they don't give you an online tracking number, instead give you an order number and a UK phone number to call. Thankfully I have free calls to UK landlines and at least they don't leave you holding for very long.

Would I do business with them again...Yes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭ve

OverTheTop wrote: »
    whats it like?

I think it's the best LCD I've seen @ the price I paid.

For high def content it's absolutely fantastic. Analogue tv is decent also, but there isn't much you can do with inferior input. I have a friend who has the 3xxx series, and thought it looked good enough. I think the 4xxx looks even better. I took a bit of a risk because any shop I went in to I tried to get as many questions answered as I could without sounding too much like I knew what I was talking about. In the half dozen or so shops I visited the sales people all knew less than I did, and in one case talked for many mins about the tv and then brought me over to the completely wrong tv when I asked them for a demo. Shops can be a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭tommiejoie

TV: LG 32LG2000
    Type: 32" LCD
    Date Bought: 10-01-2009
    Price: €499
    Bought From: Soundstore, Limerick

For my first TV purchase, I'm pretty happy with this. I left the house this morning with the intention of going for the Samsung LE32a456c in Curry's but the guy in Soundstore was really helpful and knowledgeable; that's the power of good staff. Plus, I came across one too many problem stories about Samsung. I'm pretty happy with the LG. It appears to be very user friendly, nice menu's with good customization (front panel operating light can be turned off, inputs can be named - but only to preset names). Not sure if the picture quality is that good; I blame crappy Chorus, their OSD is tacky at best. The one thing I needed in a TV was VGA connection which I'm very impressed with.

Also picked up a Monstercable power-surge adaptor (not sure what the exact name is); also a nice piece of kit with built in antenna and satellite signal amplifiers. This wasn't in my original plan but I couldn't leave it behind.

I didn't get a stand, though I could have taken one for half price. As I'm only renting I didn't think it was was to get something which may not suit me long term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 D-WRX

TV: Panasonic Viera
    Type: 50" Plasma Full HD
    Date Bought: 21/12/08
    Price: €1960 (Free Blu ray player)
    Bought From: Harvey Norman ,Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭M00lers

Ripped off I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 D-WRX

Nah, got a good deal on it

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭PureBred

What model was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭JoeA3

TV: Sony 40W4500
    Type:40" LCD Full HD
    Date Bought: 10/01/09
    Price: €1499 (including Sony 5yr Warranty and Sony BDP350 Bluray player, 5 blueray discs and a HDMI cable :pac:)
    Bought From: Sony Centre Galway
    Retailer Satisfaction: happy (wanted to buy in North, but had trouble finding it in stock, but happy enough anyhow)
    TV Satisfaction: Delighted! Its a super TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭PureBred

There €980 on samsyerman JoeA3.

Advertisement