Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Royal visit to Green Street Prison/ Courthouse, Dublin 1849

Options
  • 24-07-2015 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

Green Street Courthouse on Dublin's north inner city has been the site of some of the most explosive (no pun intended) Irish political trials from the 18th to the 21st century, including Robert Emmett and Wolfe Tone, as well as other high profile, gangland trials in recent times, when the Special Criminal Court sat here.

The courthouse is still standing as an administrative building (should be open as a public museum in my view). It used to be adjacent to Newgate Prison, which is since been demolished.

I noticed a few weeks ago that the wikipedia entry for Green Street courthouse says that there was a royal visit to the building in 1849.

This is interesting if true, but I find it difficult to believe. I've never heard of it before. Surely Queen Victoria didn't go and stand near the dock where Robert Emmett gave his famous speech, where United Irishmen and other Irish revolutionaries were sentenced to death? Or where political prisoners were languishing in jail next door? What interest would the Royals have had in this building that they would possibly want to promote?

Anyone know anything about this supposed visit?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Street_Court_House

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

The famine queen did visit Dublin in August 1849 in a visit that was widely accepted to be very successful (Abject loyalty by James Murphy, pg322). I do not see any specific mention of a visit to Green street but there is mention of Victoria being very impressed by the public buildings of Dublin viewed during this visit. All of which leads to it being likely that this did happen.

Advertisement