Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Killer Instinct Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

2gen wrote: »

first footage of Glacius and his stage. awesome stuff.

That's sabrewolf ultra was fair class though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Gametrailers had a bit of a walkthrough the on the abomination formerly known as Glacius.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I agree with Ramza, this game will fail.
    Reason is right in the thread title.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

He looks like he'll be really impressive. His reach is serious!

Despite my hatred of his actual visual design, I like the direction they went with Glacius' gameplay. I also like how he has massive amounts of ice sparks instead of energy sparks like Jago has. All his ice stuff in general actually looks great... his new character design really is terrible though :/

However, I'm curious to see how they balance full screen unblockables with full screen combos.

• Advertisement

I'm looking forward to this announcement tonight. Placing bets with myself over who it will be. I still reckon it will be Orchid or one of the other humans though.

So it's Chief Thunder. He wasn't actually shown though, just a quick video of one of his axes hitting a tree.

That gameplay demo was something else though, in my oppinion. I really want to play thing. It looks like a hell of a lot of fun. The "counter breaker" is a fantastic idea.

Counter Breaker is a good idea, but I think that demo actually turned more people off the game than impressed them. That was a really really bad demo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

Sairus wrote: »
    Counter Breaker is a good idea, but I think that demo actually turned more people off the game than impressed them. That was a really really bad demo.

Yeah, I honestly C-C-C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER can't see this C-C-C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER game catching on. Very C-C-C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER little flow to C-C-C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER the gameplay. I C-C-C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER think it'll turn C-C-C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER out exactly how C-C-C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER Ramza described KI1+2.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

MarkMan and Filthy Rich getting booed into silence at the start of the presentation says it all really, Id love to have the game but Im not paying €500 for it. If they release a graphically scaled down version on the 360 that plays the same (like the 3DS version of SSF4) ill buy it in a heart beat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭2gen

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2013/07/14/killer-instinct-character-profiles

Character Profiles presented at 720p 60fps for those who are interested.
    J0hnick wrote: »
    MarkMan and Filthy Rich getting booed into silence at the start of the presentation says it all really, Id love to have the game but Im not paying €500 for it. If they release a graphically scaled down version on the 360 that plays the same (like the 3DS version of SSF4) ill buy it in a heart beat.

yea man, even though i would love to see this game do well i doubt it will happen due to all the XBox One f*** ups and people still believing that the game is Digital purchase only and ftp but all characters needed to be bought separately enforcing the anger of already upset gamers towards MS thinking its another one of their money grabbing scams.

ive already seen soooo many vids on Youtube by people who are saying KI will be **** cause people were booing it at Evo, thus spreading negativity. such a shame... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Game just keeps getting more poo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

This game is destined to flop

Ramza wrote: »
    This game is destined to flop

Seems to be the repeated (to a point of annoyance) theme within this thread alright. Personally, I think out looks like a bit of craic. I'm not saying it'll be the next SF IV, but it does look like entertainment. I found all the fights I've seen so far have really made me want to play it, and I'm interested in seeing what twists they put on the rest of the cast.

However, just like had been mentioned already, I'll probably never get the chance to play it, as I entirely disagrees with all of Microsoft's recent shenanigans. This disappoints me greatly as I'm a big fan of the original.

Don't get me wrong it looks pretty fun but I mean competitively this game is gonna go nowhere. I have that feeling for some reason, just judging from what I see and past KIs etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

deathrider wrote: »
    Seems to be the repeated (to a point of annoyance)

If I remember correctly it was exactly the same thing for Injustice, and everyone immediately shut up after it was released because they liked it.

No-ones opinion before they get their hands on the final product is going to count for much.

Don't get me wrong it looks pretty fun but I mean competitively this game is gonna go nowhere. I have that feeling for some reason, just judging from what I see and past KIs etc

The same was said about the latest MK because of it's rickety history, yet it mananged to prove most folks wrong. It's also been about 15 years since the last Killer Instinct, so it's kinda hard to judge it that way. I reckon, if anything, it's this free-to-play business model that's going to ruin the competitive side of KI. Even if it's well balanced, this will provide it with a serious uphill struggle.

Full Killer Instinct Panel at Evo 2013

http://www.twitch.tv/madcatz/b/432597671

Stream Footage from San Diego Comic Con 2013 by MadCatz.

Max vs FilthieRich FT3 that starts at the 21min mark is a pretty sick set worth watching (IMO)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Media999

What are they playing it on?

• Advertisement

Media999 wrote: »
    What are they playing it on?

im pretty sure they are playing this current build on a PC but the game will be released on the Xbox One exclusively.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Media999

Great game alright but still think the xbone is a heap of ****e.

After watching a lot of videos, here's my current view on the game right now, not that it matters :pac:

Combo Breakers, even though they are an integral part of KI, are ironically going to ruin/downgrade the metagame of the game, the same way they did in KI1/KI2. No one wants their combo broken, and the longer you go in a combo, the higher risk you run of it being broken. High level KI revolved around people being very turtley and using short, unbreakable combos. This took away from the game in so many ways. I have no idea how this will equate in this iteration of KI, but, it will have the same effect I think. People will find unbreakables. If not, they will keep combos short with manual doubles. But, this will result in very little damage. It's going to be interesting to see how it pans out. Going for longer combos in a set with an opponent is riskier especially because we haven't seen that high of a level of this game yet, I am going to go ahead and say high level is going to revolve around reacting to auto doubles/linkers for easy breakers, thus tieing in with my point that people are going to keep combos short/unbreakable in some way

I think Lockout is a fantastic mechanic, I can see people just doing heavies during lockouts and then ender, and not risking a chance for the opponent to break their combo. Like I said before, if the combos end up being short/unbreakable in some way, we wont see a lot of this mechanic at all

Shadow breakers right now are RIDICULOUS. You can break a shadow move with 0 effort and 0 cost. That is totally imbalanced as of right now. Your opponent spends a meter on a shadow move to punish/capitalise on a mistake your make, and you can break it for free. It costs nothing. You have to tap LP+LK three times I believe in rhythm of your opponents shadow hits, to break it. This is insanely imbalanced. My take on it is that, it should cost instinct meter to break a shadow move. It shouldn't cost super meter. This adds more depth and fairness to the metagame, should you save your instinct and try to break the followup combo after the shadow move? Should you use instinct for breaking shadow moves thus, saving yourself a lot of damage, at the cost of your instinct? It would be a great addition to the game (obviously split the instinct bar in two like the super meter, for this)

Counter breakers are well..pretty good as far as I can see. The mechanics seem a little odd right now, it's hard to call how the game will pan out. If like I said before, the game doesn't revolve around high combo numbers, this mechanic becomes invalid. But this actually looks to be a pretty good mechanic. The only thing is, you should be vulnerable for longer after a failed counter breaker, right now, it seems as though you aren't vulnerable for that long. Lockout should last much longer after a successful counter breaker too, risk reward needs looking at for this mechanic.

Other things IMO that need addressing, Jago's health recovers too fast in instinct, glacius' shatter is a bit ridiculous :o, damage needs to be brought up, that's my two cents for now I guess

Shadow breakers right now are RIDICULOUS. You can break a shadow move with 0 effort and 0 cost. That is totally imbalanced as of right now. Your opponent spends a meter on a shadow move to punish/capitalise on a mistake your make, and you can break it for free. It costs nothing. You have to tap LP+LK three times I believe in rhythm of your opponents shadow hits, to break it. This is insanely imbalanced. My take on it is that, it should cost instinct meter to break a shadow move. It shouldn't cost super meter. This adds more depth and fairness to the metagame, should you save your instinct and try to break the followup combo after the shadow move? Should you use instinct for breaking shadow moves thus, saving yourself a lot of damage, at the cost of your instinct? It would be a great addition to the game (obviously split the instinct bar in two like the super meter, for this)

Other things IMO that need addressing, Jago's health recovers too fast in instinct, glacius' shatter is a bit ridiculous :o, damage needs to be brought up, that's my two cents for now I guess

i agree. they can easily tone down Jago's health regain so im not to worried about that.

i like how Ken and DH's goal for the game is to make it so that you're always playing and never "watching a movie" (like in marvel at times) but when i found out about the Shadow breakers i thought "WTF"!. i feel that if you spent shadow meter, you deserve to get the damage. according to one of Max's vids, its not that easy to pull off... but we all know what may seem tough at first, ppl will eventually be able to do it regularly later on in the games life span. hopefully it isnt too powerful. it does somewhat remind me of parries in Third Strike though.

i'm not a fanboy or anything for Max, but these vids are pretty good in explaining the mechanics for those who aren't quite sure whats going on.

also this next vid is just the Youtube version of the stream link i previously posted from MadCatz.

finally, im loving the music from Mick Gordon... this is just a sample from PAX Australia 2013.

http://www.killerinstinctcentral.com/exclusive-killer-instinct-xbox-one-music-suite/

just another music sample for those who might be interested.

KI at Super Arcade.

Lol look how ridiculously broken he looks, does game balance ever enter their heads at all when designing this ****?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

Honda joins the cast

Advertisement